January 7: Day of the Week
January 7, 2020 was the 7th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 359 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Laura’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1558France takes Calais, the last continental possession of England.
- 1608Fire destroys Jamestown, Virginia.
- 1610Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede, Callisto, Io and Europa, although he is not able distinguish the last two until the following day.
- 1894William Kennedy Dickson receives a patent for motion picture film.
- 1920The New York State Assembly refuses to seat five duly elected Socialist assemblymen.
- 1935Benito Mussolini and French Foreign minister Pierre Laval sign the Franco-Italian Agreement.
- 1948Kentucky Air National Guard pilot Thomas Mantell crashes while in pursuit of a supposed UFO.
- 1959The United States recognizes the new Cuban government of Fidel Castro.
- 1973Mark Essex fatally shoots 10 people and wounds 13 others at Howard Johnson’s Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana, before being shot to death by police officers.
- 1985Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency launches Sakigake, Japan’s first interplanetary spacecraft and the first deep space probe to be launched by any country other than the United States or the Soviet Union.
Who were born on January 7?
- 1916Paul Keres, Estonian chess player (d. 1975)
- 1943Richard Armstrong, British conductor
- 1943Sadako Sasaki, Japanese child victim of the Hiroshima atomic bomb (d. 1955)
- 1946Michael Roizen, American anesthesiologist, internist and author
- 1949Marshall Chapman, American singer-songwriter
- 1956Mike Liut, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1957Nicholson Baker, American novelist
- 1972Donald Brashear, American ice hockey player
- 1974John Rich, American musician (Big & Rich)
- 1982Ianina Zanazzi, Argentine racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.