January 7: Day of the Week
January 7, 2020 was the 7th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 359 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Warren’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1610Galileo Galilei makes his first observation of the four Galilean moons: Ganymede, Callisto, Io and Europa, although he is not able distinguish the last two until the following day.
- 1797The modern Italian flag is first used.
- 1904The distress signal “CQD” is established only to be replaced two years later by “SOS”.
- 1919Montenegrin guerrilla fighters rebel against the planned annexation of Montenegro by Serbia, but fail.
- 1931Guy Menzies flies the first solo non-stop trans-Tasman flight (from Australia to New Zealand) in 11 hours and 45 minutes, crash-landing on New Zealand’s west coast.
- 1948Kentucky Air National Guard pilot Thomas Mantell crashes while in pursuit of a supposed UFO.
- 1952President Harry S. Truman announces that the United States has developed the hydrogen bomb.
- 1973Mark Essex fatally shoots 10 people and wounds 13 others at Howard Johnson’s Hotel in New Orleans, Louisiana, before being shot to death by police officers.
- 1993Bosnian War: The Bosnian Army executes a surprise attack on the village of Kravica in Srebrenica.
- 1999The Senate trial in the impeachment of U.S. President Bill Clinton begins.
Who were born on January 7?
- 1891Zora Neale Hurston, African-American writer (d. 1960)
- 1911Butterfly McQueen, American actress (d. 1995)
- 1941John E. Walker, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1943Richard Armstrong, British conductor
- 1949Marshall Chapman, American singer-songwriter
- 1956David Caruso, American actor
- 1963Rand Paul, American politician, Junior Senator from Kentucky
- 1977Michelle Behennah, British model
- 1989Emiliano Insúa, Argentine footballer
- 1990Liam Aiken, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.