January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2019 was the 8th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jeremiah’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1835The United States national debt is 0 for the only time.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1912The African National Congress is founded.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1977Three bombs explode in Moscow within 37 minutes, killing seven. The bombings are attributed to an Armenian separatist group.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 2002President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
- 2003Turkish Airlines Flight 634 crashes near Diyarbakır Airport, Turkey, killing the entire crew and 70 of 75 passengers.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1792Lowell Mason, American composer (d. 1872)
- 1830Albert Bierstadt, German/American painter (d. 1902)
- 1905Franjo Šeper, Croatian Catholic cardinal (d. 1981)
- 1936Robert May, Baron May of Oxford, Australian-born British scientist
- 1947Don Bendell, American author & karate master
- 1962Chris Marion, American musician
- 1977Lee Yoo-jin, Korean actress
- 1979Stipe Pletikosa, Croatian footballer
- 1983Kim Jong-un, North Korean leader (year disputed, possibly 1984)
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.