January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2021 was the 8th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EPOTNWUKISW? Check your answers here: Word scramble EPOTNWUKISW. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1912The African National Congress is founded.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1971Bowing to international pressure, President of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto releases Bengali leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman from prison, who had been arrested after declaring the independence of Bangladesh.
- 1982The break up of AT&T: AT&T agrees to divest itself of twenty-two subdivisions.
- 1989Beginning of Japanese Heisei period.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1836Lawrence Alma-Tadema, Dutch artist (d. 1912)
- 1862Frank Nelson Doubleday, American publisher (d. 1934)
- 1928Slade Gorton, American politician
- 1962Chris Marion, American musician
- 1973Henning Solberg, Norwegian rally driver
- 1981Xie Xingfang, Chinese badminton player
- 1982Emanuele Calaiò, Italian footballer
- 1986Jessica Parker Kennedy, Canadian actress
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.