January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2019 was the 8th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eleanor’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1811An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles and St. James, Louisiana.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1973Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched.
- 1975Ella T. Grasso becomes Governor of Connecticut, the first woman to serve as a Governor in the United States other than by succeeding her husband.
- 1996An Antonov 32 cargo turboprop powered plane crashes into the central market in Kinshasa, Zaire killing more than 350 people.
- 2003Turkish Airlines Flight 634 crashes near Diyarbakır Airport, Turkey, killing the entire crew and 70 of 75 passengers.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1556Uesugi Kagekatsu, Japanese samurai and warlord (d. 1623)
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1915Walker Cooper, American baseball player (d. 1991)
- 1942Valya Balkanska, Bulgarian folk singer
- 1951Kenny Anthony, Saint Lucian politician
- 1955Mike Reno, Canadian musician
- 1967Torsten Gowitzke, German footballer
- 1974Maria Matsouka, Greek politician
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
- 1989Kristján Einar, Icelandic racing driver
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.