January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2021 was the 8th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IBEVXUNEPPJA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters IBEVXUNEPPJA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 307Jin Huidi, Chinese Emperor of the Jin Dynasty, is poisoned and succeeded by his son Jin Huaidi.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1904The Blackstone Library is dedicated, marking the beginning of the Chicago Public Library system.
- 1961In France a referendum supports Charles de Gaulle’s policies in Algeria.
- 1962The Harmelen train disaster killed 93 people in the Netherlands.
- 1996An Antonov 32 cargo turboprop powered plane crashes into the central market in Kinshasa, Zaire killing more than 350 people.
- 2002President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1788Pavel Kiselyov, Russian general and politician (d. 1874)
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1864Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale (d. 1892)
- 1896Arthur Ford, American medium (d. 1971)
- 1905Giacinto Scelsi, Italian composer (d. 1988)
- 1925Helmuth Hubener, German activist (d. 1942)
- 1926Kelucharan Mohapatra, Indian Odissi dancer (d. 2004)
- 1934Jacques Anquetil, French cyclist (d. 1987)
- 1943Charles Murray, American author and pundit
- 1973Mark Knight, English sound designer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.