January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2020 was the 8th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 358 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EULCEUUBFSJ? Check your answers here: Word solver EULCEUUBFSJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1811An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles and St. James, Louisiana.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1963Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa is exhibited in the United States for the first time, at the National Gallery of Art in Washington, D.C.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- 1989Beginning of Japanese Heisei period.
- 2005The nuclear sub USS San Francisco collides at full speed with an undersea mountain south of Guam. One man is killed, but the sub surfaces and is repaired.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1823Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist and biologist (d. 1913)
- 1862Frank Nelson Doubleday, American publisher (d. 1934)
- 1897Dennis Wheatley, British author (d. 1977)
- 1912José Ferrer, Puerto Rican actor (d. 1992)
- 1933Charles Osgood, American journalist and commentator
- 1945Jeannie Lewis, Australian actress and singer
- 1967Torsten Gowitzke, German footballer
- 1970Rachel Friend, Australian actress
- 1972Sean McKeever, American writer
- 1979Adrian Mutu, Romanian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.