January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2017 was the 8th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1962The Harmelen train disaster killed 93 people in the Netherlands.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- 1989The Kegworth air disaster. British Midland flight 92 crashes into the M1 motorway killing 47 people out of 127 on board.
- 2003Turkish Airlines Flight 634 crashes near Diyarbakır Airport, Turkey, killing the entire crew and 70 of 75 passengers.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1904Karl Brandt, Alsatian Nazi war criminal (d. 1948)
- 1923Joseph Weizenbaum, German-American author and computer scientist (d. 2008)
- 1942Yvette Mimieux, American actress
- 1952Vladimir Feltsman, Russian-American pianist
- 1958Rey Misterio, Sr., Mexican wrestler
- 1966Andrew Wood, American singer (Mother Love Bone) (d. 1990)
- 1979Adrian Mutu, Romanian footballer
- 1979Mirella van Melis, Dutch track and road cyclist
- 1982Emanuele Calaiò, Italian footballer
- 1986Jessica Parker Kennedy, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.