January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2019 was the 8th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1977Three bombs explode in Moscow within 37 minutes, killing seven. The bombings are attributed to an Armenian separatist group.
- 2005The nuclear sub USS San Francisco collides at full speed with an undersea mountain south of Guam. One man is killed, but the sub surfaces and is repaired.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1556Uesugi Kagekatsu, Japanese samurai and warlord (d. 1623)
- 1792Lowell Mason, American composer (d. 1872)
- 1805John Bigler, American lawyer, politician and diplomat; 3rd Governor of California; and former United States Envoy to Chile (d. 1871)
- 1891Walther Bothe, German physicist, Nobel Prize in Physics laureate (d. 1957)
- 1909Nikolaos Platon, Greek archaeologist (d. 1992)
- 1912José Ferrer, Puerto Rican actor (d. 1992)
- 1923Johnny Wardle, English cricketer (d. 1985)
- 1931Bill Graham, German-born American music promoter (d. 1991)
- 1946Robby Krieger, American musician (The Doors)
- 1982Emanuele Calaiò, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.