January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2020 was the 8th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 358 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Tabitha’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1811An unsuccessful slave revolt is led by Charles Deslondes in St. Charles and St. James, Louisiana.
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1961In France a referendum supports Charles de Gaulle’s policies in Algeria.
- 1971Bowing to international pressure, President of Pakistan Zulfikar Ali Bhutto releases Bengali leader Sheikh Mujibur Rahman from prison, who had been arrested after declaring the independence of Bangladesh.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1788Archduke Rudolph of Austria (d. 1831)
- 1824Francisco González Bocanegra, Mexican poet (d. 1861)
- 1933Jean-Marie Straub, French film director
- 1937Dame Shirley Bassey, Welsh singer
- 1951John McTiernan, American film director
- 1973Henning Solberg, Norwegian rally driver
- 1973Jason Stevens, Australian rugby league footballer
- 1974Maria Matsouka, Greek politician
- 1977Lee Yoo-jin, Korean actress
- 1982John Utaka, Nigerian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.