January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2023 was the 8th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PIKUWAO? Check your answers here: Word scramble PIKUWAO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 307Jin Huidi, Chinese Emperor of the Jin Dynasty, is poisoned and succeeded by his son Jin Huaidi.
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1956Operation Auca: Five U.S. missionaries are killed by the Huaorani of Ecuador shortly after making contact with them.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 1996An Antonov 32 cargo turboprop powered plane crashes into the central market in Kinshasa, Zaire killing more than 350 people.
- 2005The nuclear sub USS San Francisco collides at full speed with an undersea mountain south of Guam. One man is killed, but the sub surfaces and is repaired.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1556Uesugi Kagekatsu, Japanese samurai and warlord (d. 1623)
- 1871James Craig, 1st Viscount Craigavon, Irish politician (d. 1940)
- 1883Patrick J. Hurley, American soldier, statesman, and diplomat; 51st United States Secretary of War and former United States Ambassador to the Republic of China (d. 1963)
- 1909Bruce Mitchell, South African cricketer, Wisden COY 1936 (d.1995)
- 1923Larry Storch, American actor
- 1939Carolina Herrera, Venezuelan fashion designer
- 1952Mel Reynolds, former Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from Illinois and convicted sex offender
- 1967Willie Anderson, American basketball player
- 1976Carl Pavano, American baseball player
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.