January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2020 was the 8th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 358 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Zoe’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 2004The RMS Queen Mary 2, the largest passenger ship ever built, is christened by her namesake’s granddaughter, Queen Elizabeth II.
- 2005The nuclear sub USS San Francisco collides at full speed with an undersea mountain south of Guam. One man is killed, but the sub surfaces and is repaired.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1587Johannes Fabricius, German astronomer (d. 1616)
- 1763Edmond Charles Genêt, French diplomat (d. 1834)
- 1792Lowell Mason, American composer (d. 1872)
- 1926Evelyn Lear, American soprano
- 1928Gaston Miron, French-Canadian poet and editor (d. 1996)
- 1941Boris Vallejo, Peruvian illustrator
- 1942Yvette Mimieux, American actress
- 1958Rey Misterio, Sr., Mexican wrestler
- 1982Gaby Hoffmann, American actress
- 1987Carmen Klaschka, German tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.