January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2022 was the 8th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters GQEAZKOIIG? Check your answers here: Unscramble words GQEAZKOIIG. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1835The United States national debt is 0 for the only time.
- 1838Alfred Vail demonstrates a telegraph system using dots and dashes (this is the forerunner of Morse code).
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1940World War II: Britain introduces food rationing.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1973Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched.
- 1989Beginning of Japanese Heisei period.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1805John Bigler, American lawyer, politician and diplomat; 3rd Governor of California; and former United States Envoy to Chile (d. 1871)
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1926Jani Christou, Greek composer
- 1926Soupy Sales, American comedian (d. 2009)
- 1936Zdeněk Mácal, Czech conductor
- 1942Yvette Mimieux, American actress
- 1952Vladimir Feltsman, Russian-American pianist
- 1972Giuseppe Favalli, Italian footballer
- 1976Josh Meyers, American actor
- 1983Chris Mordetzky, American wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.