January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2021 was the 8th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BOZDVULWUTT? Check your answers here: Word search BOZDVULWUTT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1889Herman Hollerith is issued US patent #395,791 for the ‘Art of Applying Statistics’— his punched card calculator.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1920The steel strike of 1919 ends in a complete failure for the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel and Tin Workers labor union.
- 1940World War II: Britain introduces food rationing.
- 1964President Lyndon B. Johnson declares a “War on Poverty” in the United States.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1982The break up of AT&T: AT&T agrees to divest itself of twenty-two subdivisions.
- 1989Beginning of Japanese Heisei period.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1628François Henri de Montmorency-Bouteville, duc de Luxembourg, French general (d. 1695)
- 1830Albert Bierstadt, German/American painter (d. 1902)
- 1870Miguel Primo de Rivera, Spanish politician (d. 1930)
- 1904Karl Brandt, Alsatian Nazi war criminal (d. 1948)
- 1943Charles Murray, American author and pundit
- 1952Mel Reynolds, former Democratic member of the United States House of Representatives from Illinois and convicted sex offender
- 1975DJ Clue, American DJ and producer
- 1977Melanie Seeger, German race walker
- 1982Wil Francis, American singer
- 1986Maria Ozawa, Japanese/French-Canadian pornstar
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.