January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2018 was the 8th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Capricorn horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 871Alfred the Great leads a West Saxon army to repel an invasion by Danelaw Vikings.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1904The Blackstone Library is dedicated, marking the beginning of the Chicago Public Library system.
- 1918President Woodrow Wilson announces his “Fourteen Points” for the aftermath of World War I.
- 1964President Lyndon B. Johnson declares a “War on Poverty” in the United States.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- 1994Russian cosmonaut Valeri Polyakov on Soyuz TM-18 leaves for Mir. He would stay on the space station until March 22, 1995, for a record 437 days in space.
- 2002President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1821W.H.L. Wallace, American Union general (d. 1862)
- 1924Ron Moody, English actor
- 1926Soupy Sales, American comedian (d. 2009)
- 1938Yevgeny Nesterenko, Russian bass-baritone
- 1952Vladimir Feltsman, Russian-American pianist
- 1955Mike Reno, Canadian musician
- 1979Seol Ki-Hyeon, South Korean footballer
- 1982Gaby Hoffmann, American actress
- 1983Chris Mordetzky, American wrestler
- 1988Michael Mancienne, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.