January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2019 was the 8th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 307Jin Huidi, Chinese Emperor of the Jin Dynasty, is poisoned and succeeded by his son Jin Huaidi.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1912The African National Congress is founded.
- 1962The Harmelen train disaster killed 93 people in the Netherlands.
- 1973Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched.
- 2002President George W. Bush signs into law the No Child Left Behind Act.
- 2011An attempted assassination of Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords and subsequent shooting in Casas Adobes, Arizona at a Safeway grocery store kills 6 people and wounds 13, including Giffords.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1735John Carroll, American Roman Catholic archbishop (d. 1815)
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1823Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist and biologist (d. 1913)
- 1909Evelyn Wood, American educator (d. 1995)
- 1912José Ferrer, Puerto Rican actor (d. 1992)
- 1951Kenny Anthony, Saint Lucian politician
- 1955Mike Reno, Canadian musician
- 1978Boris Avrukh, Israeli chess grandmaster
- 1982John Utaka, Nigerian footballer
- 1986Jessica Parker Kennedy, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.