January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2021 was the 8th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OQPAUUJU? Check your answers here: Word finder OQPAUUJU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1906A landslide in Haverstraw, New York, caused by the excavation of clay along the Hudson River, kills 20 people.
- 1920The steel strike of 1919 ends in a complete failure for the Amalgamated Association of Iron, Steel and Tin Workers labor union.
- 1940World War II: Britain introduces food rationing.
- 1962The Harmelen train disaster killed 93 people in the Netherlands.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 1982The break up of AT&T: AT&T agrees to divest itself of twenty-two subdivisions.
- 2005The nuclear sub USS San Francisco collides at full speed with an undersea mountain south of Guam. One man is killed, but the sub surfaces and is repaired.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1786Nicholas Biddle, American banking executive (d. 1844)
- 1928Slade Gorton, American politician
- 1936Robert May, Baron May of Oxford, Australian-born British scientist
- 1957David Lang, American composer
- 1959Duk Koo Kim, Korean boxer (d. 1982)
- 1969Jeff Abercrombie, American musician
- 1977Lee Yoo-jin, Korean actress
- 1977Melanie Seeger, German race walker
- 1986David Silva, Spanish footballer
- 1988Allison Harvard, American artist and fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.