January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2020 was the 8th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 358 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Kaylee’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1297François Grimaldi, disguised as monk, leads his men to capture the fortress protecting the Rock of Monaco, establishing his family as the rulers of Monaco.
- 1499Louis XII of France marries Anne of Brittany.
- 1734Premiere performance of George Frideric Handel’s Ariodante at the Royal Opera House, Covent Garden.
- 1746Second Jacobite Rising: Bonnie Prince Charlie occupies Stirling.
- 1780An earthquake of estimated magnitude 7.7 hits the city of Tabriz, Iran, killing about 80,000 people and causing major damage.
- 1790George Washington delivers the first State of the Union address in New York, New York.
- 1806Cape Colony becomes a British colony.
- 1945World War II: Philippine Commonwealth troops under the Philippine Commonwealth Army units was enter the province of Ilocos Sur in Northern Luzon and attack Japanese Imperial forces.
- 1973Soviet space mission Luna 21 is launched.
- 1989The Kegworth air disaster. British Midland flight 92 crashes into the M1 motorway killing 47 people out of 127 on board.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1788Pavel Kiselyov, Russian general and politician (d. 1874)
- 1821James Longstreet, American Confederate general and diplomat; and former United States Minister to the Ottoman Empire (d. 1904)
- 1824Wilkie Collins, British novelist (d. 1889)
- 1909Nikolaos Platon, Greek archaeologist (d. 1992)
- 1947Don Bendell, American author & karate master
- 1967Torsten Gowitzke, German footballer
- 1969Ami Dolenz, American actress
- 1979Sarah Polley, Canadian actress
- 1983Kim Jong-un, North Korean leader (year disputed, possibly 1984)
- 1985Rachael Lampa, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.