January 8: Day of the Week
January 8, 2019 was the 8th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 357 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the January calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Capricorn is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Garnet is the modern birthstone for this month. Emerald is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
January 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1815War of 1812: Battle of New Orleans – Andrew Jackson leads American forces in victory over the British.
- 1863American Civil War: Second Battle of Springfield
- 1867African American men are granted the right to vote in Washington, D.C.
- 1877Crazy Horse and his warriors fight their last battle against the United States Cavalry at Wolf Mountain, Montana Territory.
- 1906A landslide in Haverstraw, New York, caused by the excavation of clay along the Hudson River, kills 20 people.
- 1973Watergate scandal: The trial of seven men accused of illegal entry into Democratic Party headquarters at Watergate begins.
- 1975Ella T. Grasso becomes Governor of Connecticut, the first woman to serve as a Governor in the United States other than by succeeding her husband.
- 1979The tanker Betelgeuse explodes in Bantry Bay, Ireland.
- 1981A local farmer reports a UFO sighting in Trans-en-Provence, France, claimed to be “perhaps the most completely and carefully documented sighting of all time”.
- 2003Turkish Airlines Flight 634 crashes near Diyarbakır Airport, Turkey, killing the entire crew and 70 of 75 passengers.
Who were born on January 8?
- 1735John Carroll, American Roman Catholic archbishop (d. 1815)
- 1763Edmond Charles Genêt, French diplomat (d. 1834)
- 1823Alfred Russel Wallace, British naturalist and biologist (d. 1913)
- 1865Winnaretta Singer, Princesse Edmond de Polignac, an American patron of French music, and of the arts, sciences, and letters (d. 1943)
- 1881Henrik Shipstead, American politician (d. 1960)
- 1888Richard Courant, German-American mathematician (d. 1972)
- 1923Johnny Wardle, English cricketer (d. 1985)
- 1943Charles Murray, American author and pundit
- 1981Carmen Schäfer, Swiss curler
- 1986Jessica Parker Kennedy, Canadian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.