July 15: Day of the Week
July 15, 2020 was the 197th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 169 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AZYZOWEK? Check your answers here: Word finder AZYZOWEK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 15 Historical Event(s)
- 1789Gilbert du Motier, marquis de La Fayette, is named by acclamation colonel-general of the new National Guard of Paris.
- 1799The Rosetta Stone is found in the Egyptian village of Rosetta by French Captain Pierre-François Bouchard during Napoleon’s Egyptian Campaign.
- 1806Pike expedition: United States Army Lieutenant Zebulon Pike begins an expedition from Fort Bellefontaine near St. Louis, Missouri, to explore the west.
- 1838Ralph Waldo Emerson delivers the Divinity School Address at Harvard Divinity School, discounting Biblical miracles and declaring Jesus a great man, but not God. The Protestant community reacts with outrage.
- 1920The Polish Parliament establishes Silesian Voivodeship before the Polish-German plebiscite.
- 1927Massacre of July 15, 1927: 89 protesters are killed by the Austrian police in Vienna.
- 1954First flight of the Boeing 367-80, prototype for both the Boeing 707 and C-135 series.
- 1979U.S. President Jimmy Carter gives his so-called “malaise” speech, where he characterizes the greatest threat to the country as “this crisis in the growing doubt about the meaning of our own lives and in the loss of a unity of purpose for our nation” but in which he never uses the word malaise
- 1980A massive storm tears through western Wisconsin, causing US$160 million in damage.
- 1985The Nintendo Entertainment System, the best-selling game console of its time, is released in Japan.
Who were born on July 15?
- 1837Stephanie of Hohenzollern-Sigmaringen, German-born Queen consort of Portugal, wife of King Peter V of Portugal (d. 1859)
- 1865Wilhelm Wirtinger, Austrian mathematician (d. 1945)
- 1950Arianna Huffington, Greek-born American newspaper columnist
- 1954Jeff Jarvis, American journalist
- 1956Ian Curtis, British singer and songwriter (Joy Division) (d. 1980)
- 1960Kim Alexis, American supermodel and actress
- 1961Forest Whitaker, American actor
- 1961Jean-Christophe Grangé, French writer and screenwriter
- 1982Neemia Tialata, New Zealand All Black rugby player
- 1985Chris Tiu, Filipino professional basketball player, TV host, commercial model, and politician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.