July 27: Day of the Week
July 27, 2018 was the 208th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 157 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Leo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Leo horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
July 27 Historical Event(s)
- 1302Battle of Bapheus: decisive Ottoman victory over the Byzantines opening up Bithynia for Turkish conquest.
- 1778American Revolution: First Battle of Ushant – British and French fleets fight to a standoff.
- 1866The first permanent transatlantic telegraph cable is successfully completed, stretching from Valentia Island, Ireland, to Heart’s Content, Newfoundland.
- 1900Kaiser Wilhelm II makes a speech comparing Germans to Huns; for years afterwards, “Hun” would be a disparaging name for Germans.
- 1955The Allied occupation of Austria stemming from World War II, ends.
- 1964Vietnam War: 5,000 more American military advisers are sent to South Vietnam bringing the total number of United States forces in Vietnam to 21,000.
- 1990The Jamaat al Muslimeen attempt a coup d'état in Trinidad and Tobago, occupying the Trinidad and the studios of Trinidad and Tobago Television, holding Prime Minister A. N. R. Robinson and most of his Cabinet as well as the staff at the television station hostage for 6 days.
- 1990The Supreme Soviet of the Belarusian Soviet Republic declares independence of Belarus from the Soviet Union. Until 1996 the day is celebrated as the Independence Day of Belarus; after a referendum held that year the celebration of independence is moved to June 3.
- 2002Ukraine airshow disaster: a Sukhoi Su-27 fighter crashes during an air show at Lviv, Ukraine killing 85 and injuring more than 100 others, the largest air show disaster in history.
- 2005STS-114: NASA grounds the Space Shuttle, pending an investigation of the continuing problem with the shedding of foam insulation from the external fuel tank. During ascent, the external tank of the Space Shuttle Discovery sheds a piece of foam slightly smaller than the piece that caused the Space Shuttle Columbia disaster; this foam does not strike the spacecraft.
Who were born on July 27?
- 1752Samuel Smith, American politician (d. 1839)
- 1768Charlotte Corday, French aristocrat who killed Jean-Paul Marat (d. 1793)
- 1870Hilaire Belloc, English writer (d. 1953)
- 1923Masutatsu Oyama, Japanese Kyokushin founder (d. 1994)
- 1929Harvey Fuqua, R&B singer, songwriter, & record producer (d. 2010)
- 1938Gary Gygax, American role-playing game creator (Dungeons & Dragons) (d. 2008)
- 1949Maury Chaykin, American-born Canadian actor (d. 2010)
- 1955Cat Bauer, American novelist
- 1981Christopher Weselek, German rugby player
- 1985Benedita Pereira, Portuguese actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.