July 3: Day of the Week
July 3, 2019 is the 184th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 181 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
July 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1608Québec City is founded by Samuel de Champlain.
- 1754French and Indian War: George Washington surrenders Fort Necessity to French forces.
- 1767Norway’s oldest newspaper still in print, Adresseavisen, is founded and the first edition is published.
- 1844The last pair of Great Auks is killed.
- 1848Slaves are freed in the Danish West Indies (now U.S. Virgin Islands) by Peter von Scholten in the culmination of a year-long plot by enslaved Africans.
- 1849The French enter Rome in order to restore Pope Pius IX to power. This would prove a major obstacle to Italian unification.
- 1852Congress establishes the United States’ 2nd mint in San Francisco, California.
- 1886Karl Benz officially unveils the Benz Patent Motorwagen – the first purpose-built automobile.
- 1898Spanish-American War: The Spanish fleet, led by Pascual Cervera y Topete, is destroyed by the U.S. Navy in Santiago, Cuba.
- 1940World War II: the French fleet of the Atlantic based at Mers el Kébir, is bombarded by the British fleet, coming from Gibraltar, causing the loss of three battleships: Dunkerque, Provence and Bretagne. One thousand two hundred sailors perish.
Who were born on July 3?
- 1518Li Shizhen, Chinese physician (d. 1593)
- 1888Ramón Gómez de la Serna, Spanish writer (d. 1963)
- 1922Guillaume Cornelis van Beverloo, Belgian painter, called Corneille (d. 2010)
- 1945Michael Cole, American TV actor
- 1948Paul Barrere, American guitarist & songwriter (Little Feat)
- 1958Matthew Fraser, Canadian-British journalist
- 1959David Shore, Canadian-born writer
- 1970Teemu Selänne, Finnish ice hockey player
- 1971Julian Assange, Australian journalist, publisher and Internet activist
- 1973Ólafur Stefánsson, Icelandic handball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.