July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2019 was the 189th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Israel’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1579Our Lady of Kazan, a holy icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, is discovered underground in the city of Kazan, Tatarstan.
- 1758French forces hold Fort Carillon against the British at Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1775The Olive Branch Petition is signed by the Continental Congress of the Thirteen Colonies.
- 1864Ikedaya Jiken: the Choshu Han shishi’s planned Shinsengumi sabotage on Kyoto, Japan at Ikedaya.
- 1892St. John’s, Newfoundland is devastated in the Great Fire of 1892.
- 1907Florenz Ziegfeld staged his first Follies on the roof of the New York Theater in New York City.
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- 1970Richard Nixon delivers a special congressional message enunciating Native American Self-Determination as official US Indian policy, leading to the Indian Self-Determination Act.
- 1988The Island Express train travelling from Bangalore to Kanyakumari derails on the Peruman bridge and falls into Ashtamudi Lake, killing 105 passengers and injuring over 200 more.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1919Walter Scheel, German politician
- 1931Roone Arledge, American sports broadcaster (d. 2002)
- 1940Ben Chapman, English politician and civil servant
- 1942Phil Gramm, American politician
- 1962Joan Osborne, American singer and songwriter
- 1966Mike Nawrocki, American voice actor
- 1971John Juanda, Indonesian poker player
- 1972Shōsuke Tanihara, Japanese actor
- 1982Joshua Alba, American actor
- 1984Alexis Dziena, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.