July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2019 is the 189th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1709Great Northern War: Battle of Poltava – Peter I of Russia defeats Charles XII of Sweden at Poltava thus effectively ending Sweden’s role as a major power in Europe.
- 1758French forces hold Fort Carillon against the British at Ticonderoga, New York.
- 1808Joseph Bonaparte approves the Bayonne Statute, a royal charter intended as the basis for his rule as king of Spain.
- 1874The Mounties begin their March West.
- 1879Sailing ship USS Jeannette (1878) departs San Francisco carrying an ill-fated expedition to the North Pole.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith (who is shot) releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1948The United States Air Force accepts its first female recruits into a program called Women in the Air Force (WAF).
- 1962Ne Win besieges and dynamites the Rangoon University Student Union building to crash the Student Movement.
- 1994Kim Jong-il begins to assume supreme leadership of North Korea upon the death of his father, Kim Il-sung.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1528Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy (d. 1580)
- 1766Dominique Jean Larrey, French surgeon (d. 1842)
- 1830Frederick William Seward, 6th and 11th United States Assistant Secretary of State (d. 1915)
- 1949Dale Hoganson, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1952Jack Lambert, American football player
- 1966Mike Nawrocki, American voice actor
- 1968Michael Weatherly, American actor
- 1982Hakim Warrick, American basketball player
- 1983Jaroslav Janiš, Czech racing car driver
- 2000Sophie Nyweide, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.