July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2021 was the 189th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TUXVIIEFJH? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters TUXVIIEFJH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1663Charles II of England grants John Clarke a Royal Charter to Rhode Island.
- 1775The Olive Branch Petition is signed by the Continental Congress of the Thirteen Colonies.
- 1808Joseph Bonaparte approves the Bayonne Statute, a royal charter intended as the basis for his rule as king of Spain.
- 1876White supremacists kill five Black Republicans in Hamburg, SC.
- 1907Florenz Ziegfeld staged his first Follies on the roof of the New York Theater in New York City.
- 1932The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches its lowest level of the Great Depression, bottoming out at 41.22.
- 1970Richard Nixon delivers a special congressional message enunciating Native American Self-Determination as official US Indian policy, leading to the Indian Self-Determination Act.
- 1988The Island Express train travelling from Bangalore to Kanyakumari derails on the Peruman bridge and falls into Ashtamudi Lake, killing 105 passengers and injuring over 200 more.
- 1994Kim Jong-il begins to assume supreme leadership of North Korea upon the death of his father, Kim Il-sung.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1917Faye Emerson, American actress (d. 1983)
- 1931Roone Arledge, American sports broadcaster (d. 2002)
- 1942Janice Pennington, American game show model
- 1951Anjelica Huston, American actress
- 1952Jack Lambert, American football player
- 1955Alison Fraser, American actress
- 1964Linda de Mol, Dutch actress and host
- 1967Jordan Chan, Hong Kong actor and singer
- 1976Talal El Karkouri, Moroccan footballer
- 2001Yang Peiyi, Chinese singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.