July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2019 was the 189th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1663Charles II of England grants John Clarke a Royal Charter to Rhode Island.
- 1760French and Indian War: Battle of Restigouche – British forces defeat French forces in last naval battle in New France.
- 1822Chippewas turn over a huge tract of land in Ontario to the United Kingdom.
- 1874The Mounties begin their March West.
- 1876White supremacists kill five Black Republicans in Hamburg, SC.
- 1889The first issue of the Wall Street Journal is published.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith (who is shot) releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1907Florenz Ziegfeld staged his first Follies on the roof of the New York Theater in New York City.
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- 1988The Island Express train travelling from Bangalore to Kanyakumari derails on the Peruman bridge and falls into Ashtamudi Lake, killing 105 passengers and injuring over 200 more.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1898Melville Ruick, American actor (d. 1972)
- 1923Harrison Dillard, American sprinter and hurdler
- 1962Carmen Nicole Moelders American atmospheric scientist
- 1968Shane Howarth, New Zealand rugby player (also capped by Wales)
- 1969Sugizo Japanese guitarist and singer (Luna Sea)
- 1970Beck, American singer
- 1972Karl Dykhuis, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1979Mat McBriar, American football player
- 1983Jaroslav Janiš, Czech racing car driver
- 1985Jamie Cook, British guitarist (Arctic Monkeys)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.