July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2018 was the 189th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Cancer horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Vasco da Gama sets sail on the first direct European voyage to India.
- 1579Our Lady of Kazan, a holy icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, is discovered underground in the city of Kazan, Tatarstan.
- 1808Joseph Bonaparte approves the Bayonne Statute, a royal charter intended as the basis for his rule as king of Spain.
- 1864Ikedaya Jiken: the Choshu Han shishi’s planned Shinsengumi sabotage on Kyoto, Japan at Ikedaya.
- 1876White supremacists kill five Black Republicans in Hamburg, SC.
- 1879Sailing ship USS Jeannette (1878) departs San Francisco carrying an ill-fated expedition to the North Pole.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith (who is shot) releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1912Henrique Mitchell de Paiva Couceiro leads an unsuccessful royalist attack against the Portuguese First Republic in Chaves.
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- 1970Richard Nixon delivers a special congressional message enunciating Native American Self-Determination as official US Indian policy, leading to the Indian Self-Determination Act.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1830Frederick William Seward, 6th and 11th United States Assistant Secretary of State (d. 1915)
- 1838Ferdinand von Zeppelin, German inventor (d. 1917)
- 1895Igor Tamm, Russian physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1971)
- 1914Billy Eckstine, American jazz singer (d. 1993)
- 1918Paul B. Fay, American businessman and cabinet member in the Kennedy administration (d. 2009)
- 1924Johnnie Johnson, American blues pianist (d. 2005)
- 1941Dario Gradi, Italian-born English football manager
- 1961Toby Keith, American country music singer-songwriter
- 1962Joan Osborne, American singer and songwriter
- 1974Tami Erin, American actress and model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.