July 8: Day of the Week
July 8, 2021 was the 189th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 176 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UORMOHCKD? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters UORMOHCKD. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1579Our Lady of Kazan, a holy icon of the Russian Orthodox Church, is discovered underground in the city of Kazan, Tatarstan.
- 1716Great Northern War: the naval Battle of Dynekilen takes place.
- 1898The death of crime boss Soapy Smith (who is shot) releases Skagway, Alaska from his iron grip.
- 1907Florenz Ziegfeld staged his first Follies on the roof of the New York Theater in New York City.
- 1932The Dow Jones Industrial Average reaches its lowest level of the Great Depression, bottoming out at 41.22.
- 1937Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Afghanistan sign the Treaty of Saadabad.
- 1960Francis Gary Powers is charged with espionage resulting from his flight over the Soviet Union.
- 1970Richard Nixon delivers a special congressional message enunciating Native American Self-Determination as official US Indian policy, leading to the Indian Self-Determination Act.
- 1982Assassination attempt against Iraqi president Saddam Hussein in Dujail.
- 1988The Island Express train travelling from Bangalore to Kanyakumari derails on the Peruman bridge and falls into Ashtamudi Lake, killing 105 passengers and injuring over 200 more.
Who were born on July 8?
- 1593Artemisia Gentileschi, Italian painter (d. 1653)
- 1839John D. Rockefeller, American industrialist and philanthropist (d. 1937)
- 1924Johnnie Johnson, American blues pianist (d. 2005)
- 1933Antonio Lamer, French Canadian lawyer and chief justice (d. 2007)
- 1956Terry Puhl, Canadian baseball player
- 1964Linda de Mol, Dutch actress and host
- 1977Milo Ventimiglia, American actor
- 1979Mat McBriar, American football player
- 1985Jamie Cook, British guitarist (Arctic Monkeys)
- 1987Vlada Roslyakova, Russian model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.