July 9: Day of the Week
July 9, 2020 was the 191st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 175 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters HEAUUDVQN? Check your answers here: Word scramble HEAUUDVQN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 9 Historical Event(s)
- 455Roman military commander Avitus is proclaimed Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 1790Russo-Swedish War: Second Battle of Svensksund – in the Baltic Sea, the Swedish Navy captures one third of the Russian fleet.
- 1816Argentina declares independence from Spain.
- 1868The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified guaranteeing African Americans full citizenship and all persons in the United States due process of law.
- 1875Outbreak of the Herzegovina Uprising against Ottoman rule, which would last until 1878 and have far-reaching implications throughout the Balkans
- 1918Great train wreck of 1918: in Nashville, Tennessee, an inbound local train collides with an outbound express killing 101 and injuring 171 people, making it the deadliest rail accident in United States history.
- 1922Johnny Weissmuller swims the 100 meters freestyle in 58.6 seconds breaking the world swimming record and the 'minute barrier'.
- 1932The state of São Paulo revolts against the Brazilian Federal Government, starting the Constitutionalist Revolution
- 1979A car bomb destroys a Renault motor car owned by famed “Nazi hunters” Serge and Beate Klarsfeld at their home in France. A note purportedly from ODESSA claims responsibility.
- 2011South Sudan gains independence and secedes from Sudan.
Who were born on July 9?
- 1786Princess Sophie Hélène Béatrice of France, daughter of Louis XVI of France and Marie Antoinette (d. 1787)
- 1901Dame Barbara Cartland, English novelist (d. 2000)
- 1911Mervyn Peake, British writer and illustrator (d. 1968)
- 1935Wim Duisenberg, Dutch economist and politician (d. 2005)
- 1956Tom Hanks, American actor
- 1957Jim Paxson, American basketball player
- 1970Masami Tsuda, Japanese manga author
- 1970Trent Green, American football player
- 1982Maggie Ma, Canadian actress
- 1986Simon Dumont, American freestyle skier
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.