July 9: Day of the Week
July 9, 2017 was the 190th day of the year 2017 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 175 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Did you know? It takes as little as 8 hours of one-on-one tutoring to improve a full letter grade, according to a nationwide poll of private tutors. Click here to search for a tutor today! More than 80,000 tutors in 300+ subjects. (Sponsored link; US only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. Use them to prosper in love, money, and career! Get your Cancer horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
July 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1540King Henry VIII of England annuls his marriage to his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves.
- 1793The Act Against Slavery is passed in Upper Canada and the importation of slaves into Lower Canada is prohibited.
- 1811Explorer David Thompson posts a sign at the confluence of the Columbia and Snake Rivers (in modern Washington state, US), claiming the land for the United Kingdom.
- 1815Talleyrand becomes the first Prime Minister of France.
- 1850The Persian prophet Báb is executed in Tabriz, Persia.
- 1875Outbreak of the Herzegovina Uprising against Ottoman rule, which would last until 1878 and have far-reaching implications throughout the Balkans
- 1918Great train wreck of 1918: in Nashville, Tennessee, an inbound local train collides with an outbound express killing 101 and injuring 171 people, making it the deadliest rail accident in United States history.
- 1932The state of São Paulo revolts against the Brazilian Federal Government, starting the Constitutionalist Revolution
- 1943World War II: Operation Husky – Allied forces perform an amphibious invasion of Sicily.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Tali-Ihantala – Finland wins the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle ever fought in northern Europe. The Red Army withdraws its troops from Ihantala and digs into defensive position, thus ending the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive.
Who were born on July 9?
- 1879Ottorino Respighi, Italian composer (d. 1936)
- 1929Lee Hazlewood, American country singer, songwriter and producer (d. 2007)
- 1945Root Boy Slim, American entertainer (d. 1993)
- 1957Kelly McGillis, American actress
- 1957Tim Kring, American writer and producer
- 1959Kevin Nash, American pro wrestler
- 1974Sian Berry, British politician
- 1979Suzanne Stokes, American model
- 1982Maggie Ma, Canadian actress
- 1995Georgie Henley, English actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.