July 9: Day of the Week
July 9, 2021 is the 190th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 175 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the July calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Ruby is the modern birthstone for this month. Ruby is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EFUCAUY? Check your answers here: Words with these letters EFUCAUY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
July 9 Historical Event(s)
- 455Roman military commander Avitus is proclaimed Emperor of the Western Roman Empire.
- 1572Nineteen Catholics suffer martyrdom for their beliefs in the Dutch town of Gorkum.
- 1776George Washington ordered the Declaration of Independence to be read out loud to members of the Continental Army in New York City for the first time.
- 1811Explorer David Thompson posts a sign at the confluence of the Columbia and Snake Rivers (in modern Washington state, US), claiming the land for the United Kingdom.
- 1863American Civil War: the Siege of Port Hudson ends.
- 1868The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution is ratified guaranteeing African Americans full citizenship and all persons in the United States due process of law.
- 1943World War II: Operation Husky – Allied forces perform an amphibious invasion of Sicily.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Tali-Ihantala – Finland wins the Battle of Tali-Ihantala, the largest battle ever fought in northern Europe. The Red Army withdraws its troops from Ihantala and digs into defensive position, thus ending the Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive.
- 1961Turkish voters approve the Turkish Constitution of 1961 in a referendum.
- 1979A car bomb destroys a Renault motor car owned by famed “Nazi hunters” Serge and Beate Klarsfeld at their home in France. A note purportedly from ODESSA claims responsibility.
Who were born on July 9?
- 1834Jan Neruda, Czech poet (d. 1891)
- 1894Pyotr Leonidovich Kapitsa, Russian physicist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1984)
- 1916Sir Dean Goffin, New Zealand composer (d. 1984)
- 1945Dean R. Koontz, American novelist
- 1951Chris Cooper, American actor
- 1955Steve Coppell, English footballer and manager
- 1959Jim Kerr, Scottish singer (Simple Minds)
- 1976Jochem Uytdehaage, Dutch speed skater
- 1981Kimveer Gill, Canadian spree shooter (Dawson College shooting) (d. 2006)
- 1995Georgie Henley, English actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.