June 1: Day of the Week
June 1, 2019 is the 152nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 213 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 1 Historical Event(s)
- 987Hugh Capet is elected King of France.
- 1862American Civil War, Peninsula Campaign: Battle of Seven Pines (or the Battle of Fair Oaks) ends inconclusively, with both sides claiming victory.
- 1890The United States Census Bureau begins using Herman Hollerith’s tabulating machine to count census returns.
- 1922The Royal Ulster Constabulary is founded.
- 1941World War II: Battle of Crete ends as Crete capitulates to Germany.
- 1943British Overseas Airways Corporation Flight 777 is shot down over the Bay of Biscay by German Junkers Ju 88s, killing actor Leslie Howard and leading to speculation the downing was an attempt to kill British Prime Minister Winston Churchill.
- 1960New Zealand’s first official television broadcast commences at 7.30 pm from Auckland.
- 1974The Heimlich maneuver for rescuing choking victims is published in the journal Emergency Medicine.
- 1979The first black-led government of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 90 years takes power.
- 2001Nepalese royal massacre: Crown Prince Dipendra of Nepal shoots and kills several members of his family including his father and mother, King Birendra of Nepal and Queen Aiswarya.
Who were born on June 1?
- 1754Archduke Ferdinand of Austria-Este, Austrian governor of the Duchy of Milan and Duke of Breisgau (d. 1806)
- 1762Edmund Ignatius Rice, Irish founder of the Christian Brothers and Presentation Brothers (d. 1844)
- 1831John Bell Hood, American Confederate general (d. 1879)
- 1890Frank Morgan, American actor (d. 1949)
- 1953Ronnie Dunn, American musician (Brooks & Dunn)
- 1960Giorgos Lillikas, Cypriot politician
- 1960Simon Gallup, English bassist (The Cure)
- 1970Paul Schrier, American actor
- 1980Oliver James, British actor
- 1981Smush Parker, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.