June 1: Day of the Week
June 1, 2023 is the 152nd day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 213 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SOSUEYI? Check your answers here: Word search SOSUEYI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1298Residents of Riga and Grand Duchy of Lithuania defeated the Livonian Order in the Battle of Turaida.
- 1813James Lawrence, the mortally-wounded commander of the USS Chesapeake, gives his final order: “Don't give up the ship!”
- 1855American adventurer William Walker conquers Nicaragua.
- 1857Charles Baudelaire’s Les Fleurs du mal is published.
- 1861American Civil War, Battle of Fairfax Court House (June 1861), first land battle of American Civil War after Battle of Fort Sumter, first Confederate combat casualty.
- 1941World War II: Battle of Crete ends as Crete capitulates to Germany.
- 1974Flixborough disaster: an explosion at a chemical plant kills 28 people.
- 1979The first black-led government of Rhodesia (now Zimbabwe) in 90 years takes power.
- 1993Dobrinja mortar attack: 13 are killed and 133 wounded when Serb mortar shells are fired at a soccer game in Dobrinja, west of Sarajevo.
- 2001Dolphinarium massacre: A Hamas suicide bomber kills 21 at a disco in Tel Aviv.
Who were born on June 1?
- 1796Nicolas Léonard Sadi Carnot, French physicist (d. 1832)
- 1898Molly Picon, American actress (d. 1992)
- 1901John Van Druten, English screen writer (d. 1957)
- 1909Yechezkel Kutscher, Slovakian-born Israeli philologist and Hebrew linguist (d. 1971)
- 1936Bekim Fehmiu, Yugoslav actor (d. 2010)
- 1960Simon Gallup, English bassist (The Cure)
- 1972Mike Dunham, American hockey player
- 1974Michael Rasmussen, Danish cyclist
- 1975James Storm, American professional wrestler
- 1978Matthew Hittinger, American poet
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.