June 1: Day of the Week
June 1, 2020 was the 153rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 213 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BYAFIE? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters BYAFIE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 1 Historical Event(s)
- 987Hugh Capet is elected King of France.
- 1215Zhongdu (now Beijing), then under the control of the Jurchen ruler Emperor Xuanzong of Jin, is captured by the Mongols under Genghis Khan, ending the Battle of Zhongdu.
- 1495Friar John Cor records the first known batch of scotch whisky.
- 1815Napoleon swears fidelity to the Constitution of France.
- 1861American Civil War, Battle of Fairfax Court House (June 1861), first land battle of American Civil War after Battle of Fort Sumter, first Confederate combat casualty.
- 1910Robert Falcon Scott’s South Pole expedition leaves England.
- 1960New Zealand’s first official television broadcast commences at 7.30 pm from Auckland.
- 1962The Pilkington Committee on Broadcasting concludes, among other things, that the British public did not want commercial radio broadcasting.
- 1974Flixborough disaster: an explosion at a chemical plant kills 28 people.
- 1999American Airlines Flight 1420 slides and crashes while landing at Little Rock National Airport, killing 11 people on a flight from Dallas to Little Rock.
Who were born on June 1?
- 1076Mstislav I of Kiev (d. 1132)
- 1878John Masefield, English novelist and poet (d. 1967)
- 1915John Randolph, American actor (d. 2004)
- 1922Joan Copeland, American actress
- 1929Nargis, Indian actress (d. 1981)
- 1936Joe Doyle, Irish politician
- 1940Kip Thorne, American physicist
- 1945Linda Scott, American singer
- 1966Greg Schiano, American football coach
- 1969Teri Polo, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.