June 17: Day of the Week
June 17, 2019 was the 168th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 197 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
June 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1497Battle of Deptford Bridge – forces under King Henry VII defeat troops led by Michael An Gof.
- 1861Battle of Vienna, Virginia in the American Civil War.
- 1885The Statue of Liberty arrives in New York Harbor.
- 1940The three Baltic states of Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania fall under the occupation of the Soviet Union.
- 1940World War II: sinking of the RMS Lancastria by the Luftwaffe near Saint-Nazaire, France.
- 1958The wooden roller coaster at Playland, which is in the Pacific National Exhibition, Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada opens. It is still open today.
- 1960The Nez Perce tribe is awarded $4 million for 7 e6acre of land undervalued at 4 cents/acre in the 1863 treaty.
- 1971President Richard Nixon declares the U.S. War on Drugs.
- 1972Watergate scandal: five White House operatives are arrested for burglarizing the offices of the Democratic National Committee, in an attempt by some members of the Republican party to illegally wiretap the opposition.
- 1991Apartheid: the South African Parliament repeals the Population Registration Act which required racial classification of all South Africans at birth.
Who were born on June 17?
- 1714Alexander Gottlieb Baumgarten, German philosopher (d. 1762)
- 1818Sophie of Württemberg, Queen of the Netherlands (d. 1877)
- 1882Adolphus Frederick VI, Grand Duke of Mecklenburg (d. 1918)
- 1910Red Foley, American musician (d. 1968)
- 1920François Jacob, French biologist, Nobel laureate
- 1942Mohamed ElBaradei, Egyptian IAEA director, recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize
- 1944Bill Rafferty, American comedian and impressionist
- 1967Eric Stefani, American keyboardist, songwriter (No Doubt) and cartoon animator
- 1973Christian Claudio, Puerto Rican business consultant
- 1984John Gallagher, Jr., American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.