June 17: Day of the Week
June 17, 2021 was the 168th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 197 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters JWINUWE? Check your answers here: Word solver JWINUWE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
June 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1565Matsunaga Hisahide assassinates the 13th Ashikaga shogun, Ashikaga Yoshiteru.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: Colonists inflict heavy casualties on British forces while losing the Battle of Bunker Hill.
- 1861Battle of Vienna, Virginia in the American Civil War.
- 1901The College Board introduces its first standardized test, the forerunner to the SAT.
- 1910Aurel Vlaicu pilots a A. Vlaicu nr. 1 on its first flight.
- 1932Bonus Army: around a thousand World War I veterans amass at the United States Capitol as the U.S. Senate considers a bill that would give them certain benefits.
- 1944Iceland declares independence from Denmark and becomes a republic.
- 1971President Richard Nixon declares the U.S. War on Drugs.
- 1981Hyatt Regency walkway collapse: In the Hyatt Regency Hotel the 2nd and 4th floor walkways collapse crushing 144 people to death, this was the worst structural failure in the United States.
- 1992A “joint understanding” agreement on arms reduction is signed by U.S. President George Bush and Russian President Boris Yeltsin (this would be later codified in START II).
Who were born on June 17?
- 1714César-François Cassini de Thury, French astronomer (d. 1784)
- 1903Ruth Wakefield, American cook and hotelier (d. 1977)
- 1909Ralph E. Winters, Canadian film editor (d. 2004)
- 1910Red Foley, American musician (d. 1968)
- 1957Jack Wouterse, Dutch actor
- 1968Julie Miller, Hawaiian triathlete
- 1970Stéphane Fiset, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1971Paulina Rubio, Mexican singer
- 1975Joshua Leonard, American actor
- 1978Isabelle Delobel, French ice dancer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.