June 26: Day of the Week
June 26, 2020 is the 178th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 188 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Sue’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 26 Historical Event(s)
- 363Roman Emperor Julian is killed during the retreat from the Sassanid Empire. General Jovian is proclaimed Emperor by the troops on the battlefield.
- 1409Western Schism: the Roman Catholic church is led into a double schism as Petros Philargos is crowned Pope Alexander V after the Council of Pisa, joining Pope Gregory XII in Rome and Pope Benedict XII in Avignon.
- 1941World War II: Soviet planes bomb Kassa, Hungary (now Košice, Slovakia), giving Hungary the impetus to declare war the next day.
- 1945The United Nations Charter is signed in San Francisco.
- 1974The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
- 1977The Yorkshire Ripper kills 16 year old shop assistant Jayne MacDonald in Leeds, changing public perception of the killer as she is the first victim who is not a prostitute.
- 1978Air Canada Flight 189 to Toronto overruns the runway and crashes into the Etobicoke Creek ravine. Two of 107 passengers on board perish.
- 1991Ten-Day War: the Yugoslav people’s army begins the Ten-Day War in Slovenia.
- 2006Mari Alkatiri, the first Prime Minister of East Timor, resigns after weeks of political unrest.
- 2008The U.S. Supreme Court rules in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual right, and that the District of Columbia handgun ban is unconstitutional.
Who were born on June 26?
- 1681Hedwig Sophia, duchess of Holstein-Gottorp, Swedish writer (d. 1708)
- 1694Georg Brandt, Swedish chemist and mineralogist (d. 1768)
- 1907Debs Garms, American baseball player (d. 1984)
- 1924Kostas Axelos, Greek philosopher (d. 2010)
- 1931Colin Wilson, British writer
- 1966Minaguchi Yuko, Japanese voice actress
- 1974Jason Kendall, American baseball player
- 1987Samir Nasri, French footballer
- 1991Diego Falcinelli, Italian footballer
- 1991Houssem Chemali, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.