June 26: Day of the Week
June 26, 2020 is the 178th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 188 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the June calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Cancer is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Pearl is the modern birthstone for this month. Moonstone is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rosie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
June 26 Historical Event(s)
- 1927The Cyclone roller coaster opens on Coney Island.
- 1940World War II: under the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, the Soviet Union presents an ultimatum to Romania requiring it to cede Bessarabia and the northern part of Bukovina.
- 1941World War II: Soviet planes bomb Kassa, Hungary (now Košice, Slovakia), giving Hungary the impetus to declare war the next day.
- 1960Madagascar gains its independence from France.
- 1974The Universal Product Code is scanned for the first time to sell a package of Wrigley’s chewing gum at the Marsh Supermarket in Troy, Ohio
- 1978Air Canada Flight 189 to Toronto overruns the runway and crashes into the Etobicoke Creek ravine. Two of 107 passengers on board perish.
- 1991Ten-Day War: the Yugoslav people’s army begins the Ten-Day War in Slovenia.
- 1995Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani deposes his father Khalifa bin Hamad al-Thani, the Emir of Qatar, in a bloodless coup.
- 2003The U.S. Supreme Court rules in Lawrence v. Texas that gender-based sodomy laws are unconstitutional.
- 2008The U.S. Supreme Court rules in District of Columbia v. Heller that the Second Amendment to the United States Constitution protects an individual right, and that the District of Columbia handgun ban is unconstitutional.
Who were born on June 26?
- 1689Edward Holyoke, American academic (d. 1769)
- 1839Sam Watkins, American Confederate soldier and author (d. 1901)
- 1924Kostas Axelos, Greek philosopher (d. 2010)
- 1931Colin Wilson, British writer
- 1934Jeremy Wolfenden, British journalist (d. 1965)
- 1936Jean-Claude Turcotte, Cardinal Archbishop of Montreal
- 1954Steve Barton, American actor (d. 2001)
- 1969Mike Myers, American baseball player
- 1976Paweł Małaszyński, Polish actor
- 1977Mark Jindrak, American professional wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.