March 1: Day of the Week
March 1, 2019 was the 60th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 305 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
March 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1628Writs issued in February by Charles I of England mandate that every county in England (not just seaport towns) pay ship tax by this date.
- 1919March 1st Movement begins in Korea.
- 1953Joseph Stalin suffers a stroke and collapses. He dies four days later.
- 1954Nuclear testing: The Castle Bravo, a 15-megaton hydrogen bomb, is detonated on Bikini Atoll in the Pacific Ocean, resulting in the worst radioactive contamination ever caused by the United States.
- 1961Uganda becomes self-governing and holds its first elections.
- 1966Venera 3 Soviet space probe crashes on Venus becoming the first spacecraft to land on another planet’s surface.
- 1992Bosnia and Herzegovina declares its independence from Socialist Federal Republic of Yugoslavia.
- 2000Hans Blix assumes the position of Executive Chairman of UNMOVIC.
- 2007“Squatters” are evicted from Ungdomshuset in Copenhagen, Denmark, provoking the March 2007 Denmark Riots.
- 2008The Armenian police clashed with peaceful opposition rally protesting against allegedly fraudulent presidential elections 2008
Who were born on March 1?
- 1817Giovanni Duprè, Italian sculptor (d. 1882)
- 1892Ryūnosuke Akutagawa, Japanese writer (d. 1927)
- 1918Gladys Noon Spellman, American politician (d. 1988)
- 1926Pete Rozelle, American professional sports executive (d. 1996)
- 1927Harry Belafonte, American actor and musician
- 1956Timothy Daly, American actor
- 1969Doug Creek, American baseball player
- 1988Freddie Smith, American actor
- 1988Katija Pevec, American actress
- 1990Harry Eden, English actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.