March 12: Day of the Week
March 12, 2020 was the 72nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 294 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OECEOTJ? Check your answers here: Unscramble words OECEOTJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Williamite War in Ireland begins.
- 1811Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 1868Henry O'Farrell attempts to assassinate Prince Alfred, Duke of Edinburgh.
- 1912The Girl Guides (later renamed the Girl Scouts of the USA) are founded in the United States.
- 1918Moscow becomes the capital of Russia again after Saint Petersburg held this status for 215 years.
- 1928In California, the St. Francis Dam fails; the resulting floods kill over 600 people.
- 1930Mahatma Gandhi leads a 200-mile march, known as the Salt March, to the sea in defiance of British opposition, to protest the British monopoly on salt.
- 1964New Hampshire Lottery: New Hampshire becomes the first U.S. state to legally sell lottery tickets in the 20th century.
- 1966Suharto takes over from Sukarno to become President of Indonesia.
- 1993Several bombs explode in Bombay (Mumbai), India, killing about 300 and injuring hundreds more.
Who were born on March 12?
- 1637Anne Hyde, wife of James II of England (d. 1671)
- 1890William Dudley Pelley, American spiritualist and politician (d. 1965)
- 1913Yashwantrao Chavan, Indian politician (d. 1984)
- 1923Clara Fraser, American feminist and activist (d. 1998)
- 1925Leo Esaki, Japanese physicist, Nobel laureate
- 1938Johnny Rutherford, American automobile racer
- 1958Matt Millen, American football player
- 1963Joaquim Cruz, Brazilian runner
- 1976Zhao Wei, Chinese actress
- 1981Kenta Kobayashi, Japanese wrestler
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.