March 12: Day of the Week
March 12, 2023 was the 71st day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 294 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BVEEBWWRIEYP? Check your answers here: Word finder BVEEBWWRIEYP. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
March 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1689The Williamite War in Ireland begins.
- 1811Peninsular War: A day after a successful rear guard action, French Marshal Michel Ney once again successfully delayed the pursuing Anglo-Portuguese force at the Battle of Redinha.
- 1921İstiklal Marşı was adopted in TBMM(Turkish grand national assembly).
- 1928In California, the St. Francis Dam fails; the resulting floods kill over 600 people.
- 1933Great Depression: Franklin D. Roosevelt addresses the nation for the first time as President of the United States. This is also the first of his “fireside chats”.
- 1947The Truman Doctrine is proclaimed to help stem the spread of Communism.
- 1993The Blizzard of 1993 – Snow begins to fall across the eastern portion of the US with tornadoes, thunder snow storms, high winds and record low temperatures. The storm lasts for 30 hours.
- 1994The Church of England ordains its first female priests.
- 1999Former Warsaw Pact members the Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland join NATO.
- 2011A reactor at the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Power Plant melts and explodes and releases radioactivity into the atmosphere a day after Japan’s earthquake.
Who were born on March 12?
- 1478Giuliano di Lorenzo de' Medici, ruler of Florence (d. 1516)
- 1620Johann Heinrich Hottinger, Swiss philologist and theologian (d. 1667)
- 1913Yashwantrao Chavan, Indian politician (d. 1984)
- 1918Elaine de Kooning, American artist (d. 1989)
- 1966Grant Long, American basketball player
- 1968Tammy Duckworth, American politician, military aviator
- 1979Rhys Coiro, American actor
- 1982Tobias Schweinsteiger, German footballer
- 1983Atif Aslam, Pakistani singer
- 1986Ben Offereins, Australian athlete
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.