March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2021 was the 76th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters QXOLIE? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters QXOLIE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 180Marcus Aurelius dies leaving Commodus the sole emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 624Led by Muhammad, the Muslims of Medina defeat the Quraysh of Mecca in the Battle of Badr.
- 1337Edward, the Black Prince is made Duke of Cornwall, the first Duchy in England.
- 1941In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1947First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 1948Benelux, France, and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Brussels, a precursor to the North Atlantic Treaty establishing NATO.
- 1970My Lai Massacre: The United States Army charges 14 officers with suppressing information related to the incident.
- 1979The Penmanshiel Tunnel collapses during engineering works, killing two workers.
- 1992Israeli Embassy attack in Buenos Aires: Suicide car bomb attack kills 29 and injures 242.
- 2003Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Robin Cook, resigns from the British Cabinet in disagreement with government plans for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1931David Peakall, British scientist (d. 2001)
- 1938Rudolf Nureyev, Russian-born dancer and choreographer (d. 1993)
- 1957Mal Donaghy, Northern Irish footballer
- 1961Casey Siemaszko, American actor
- 1967Barry Minkow, American criminal and fraudster
- 1973Jerome Woods, American football player
- 1973Rico Blanco, Filipino singer (Rivermaya)
- 1978Adam Jennings, British actor, producer and director
- 1979Sharman Joshi, Indian actor
- 1979Stormy Daniels, American pornographic actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.