March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2020 was the 77th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XNOTZREIF? Check your answers here: Words with these letters XNOTZREIF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 45 BCIn his last victory, Julius Caesar defeats the Pompeian forces of Titus Labienus and Pompey the Younger in the Battle of Munda.
- 180Marcus Aurelius dies leaving Commodus the sole emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 1776American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, Massachusetts, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 1842The Relief Society of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is formed;
- 1861The Kingdom of Italy (1861–1946) is proclaimed.
- 1950Researchers at the University of California, Berkeley announce the creation of element 98, which they name “Californium”.
- 1985Serial killer Richard Ramirez, aka the “Night Stalker”, commits the first two murders in his Los Angeles, California murder spree.
- 1988Eritrean War of Independence: The Nadew Command, an Ethiopian army corps in Eritrea, is attacked on three sides by military units of the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front in the opening action of the Battle of Afabet.
- 1992Israeli Embassy attack in Buenos Aires: Suicide car bomb attack kills 29 and injures 242.
- 2003Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Robin Cook, resigns from the British Cabinet in disagreement with government plans for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1777Roger Brooke Taney, 5th Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (d. 1864)
- 1862Silvio Gesell, Belgian economist (d. 1930)
- 1907Sonny Werblin, American football franchise owner (d. 1991)
- 1955Cynthia McKinney, American politician, Presidential candidate
- 1964Jacques Songo'o, Cameroonian footballer
- 1969Patricia Ford, American model
- 1971Bill Mueller, American baseball player
- 1974Marisa Coughlan, American actress
- 1975Natalie Zea, American actress
- 1982Steven Pienaar, South African footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.