March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2022 was the 76th day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IGAPGFIGMYH? Check your answers here: Word finder IGAPGFIGMYH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 180Marcus Aurelius dies leaving Commodus the sole emperor of the Roman Empire.
- 1337Edward, the Black Prince is made Duke of Cornwall, the first Duchy in England.
- 1776American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, Massachusetts, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 1941In Washington, D.C., the National Gallery of Art is officially opened by President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
- 1947First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 1948Benelux, France, and the United Kingdom sign the Treaty of Brussels, a precursor to the North Atlantic Treaty establishing NATO.
- 1957A plane crash in Cebu, Philippines kills Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay and 24 others.
- 1970My Lai Massacre: The United States Army charges 14 officers with suppressing information related to the incident.
- 2000More than 800 members of the Ugandan cult Movement for the Restoration of the Ten Commandments of God die in what is considered to be a mass murder and suicide orchestrated by leaders of the cult.
- 2003Secretary of State for Foreign and Commonwealth Affairs Robin Cook, resigns from the British Cabinet in disagreement with government plans for the 2003 invasion of Iraq.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1781Ebenezer Elliott, British poet (d. 1849)
- 1856Mikhail Vrubel, Russian painter (d. 1910)
- 1880Sir Patrick Hastings, British barrister (d. 1952)
- 1914Sammy Baugh, American football player (d. 2008)
- 1930James Irwin, American astronaut (d. 1991)
- 1936Ken Mattingly, American astronaut
- 1956Patrick McDonnell, American cartoonist
- 1958Pat Bolland, Canadian Broadcaster
- 1969Mathew St. Patrick, American actor
- 1978Adam Jennings, British actor, producer and director
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.