March 17: Day of the Week
March 17, 2023 is the 76th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 289 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EACUJASEB? Check your answers here: Word scramble EACUJASEB. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
March 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1776American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, Massachusetts, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- 1939Second Sino-Japanese War: Battle of Nanchang between the Kuomintang and Japan begins,
- 1947First flight of the B-45 Tornado strategic bomber.
- 1957A plane crash in Cebu, Philippines kills Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay and 24 others.
- 1959Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, flees Tibet for India.
- 1966Off the coast of Spain in the Mediterranean, the Ship DSV submarine finds a missing American hydrogen bomb.
- 1988Eritrean War of Independence: The Nadew Command, an Ethiopian army corps in Eritrea, is attacked on three sides by military units of the Eritrean People’s Liberation Front in the opening action of the Battle of Afabet.
- 1992A referendum to end apartheid in South Africa is passed 68.7% to 31.2%.
- 2004Unrest in Kosovo: More than 22 are killed and 200 wounded. 35 Serbian Orthodox shrines in Kosovo and two mosques in Belgrade and Niš are destroyed.
- 2008Governor of New York Eliot Spitzer resigns after a scandal involving a high-end prostitute. Lieutenant Governor David Paterson becomes New York State governor.
Who were born on March 17?
- 1473King James IV of Scotland (d. 1513)
- 1777Roger Brooke Taney, 5th Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court (d. 1864)
- 1888Paul Ramadier, French politician (d. 1961)
- 1933Myrlie Evers-Williams, American activist
- 1938Zola Taylor, American singer (The Platters) (d. 2007)
- 1951Donald Findlay, Scottish lawyer
- 1964Jacques Songo'o, Cameroonian footballer
- 1964Lee Dixon, English footballer
- 1964Rob Lowe, American actor
- 1987Ryan Parent, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.