March 31: Day of the Week
March 31, 2019 was the 90th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 275 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Aries is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
March 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1822The massacre of the population of the Greek island of Chios by soldiers of the Ottoman Empire following an attempted rebellion, depicted by the French artist Eugène Delacroix.
- 1866The Spanish Navy bombs the harbor of Valparaíso, Chile.
- 1931TWA Flight 599 crashes near Bazaar, Kansas killing 8 including Knute Rockne, head football coach at the University of Notre Dame
- 1958In the Canadian federal election, the Progressive Conservatives, led by John Diefenbaker, win the largest percentage of seats in Canadian history, with 208 seats of 265.
- 1959The 14th Dalai Lama, Tenzin Gyatso, crosses the border into India and is granted political asylum.
- 1964A coup d'état in Brazil establishes a military government, under the aegis of general Castello Branco.
- 1985The first WrestleMania, the biggest wrestling event from the WWE (then the WWF), takes place in Madison Square Garden in New York.
- 1990200,000 protestors take to the streets of London to protest against the newly introduced Poll Tax.
- 1991Georgian independence referendum, 1991: nearly 99 percent of the voters support the country’s independence from the Soviet Union.
- 1995Selena, an American singer, was murdered by her friend and employee of her boutiques Yolanda Saldívar who was embezzling money from the establishments. The event was named “Black Friday” by Hispanics.
Who were born on March 31?
- 250Constantius Chlorus, Roman Emperor (d. 306)
- 1596René Descartes, French philosopher, mathematician (d. 1650)
- 1916Lucille Bliss, American voice actress
- 1932John Jakes, American writer
- 1935Judith Rossner, American author
- 1936Bob Pulford, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1960Michelle Nicastro, American actress and singer (d. 2010)
- 1969Nyamko Sabuni, Swedish politician
- 1982Tal Ben Haim, Israeli footballer
- 1988Louis van der Westhuizen, Namibian cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.