March 5: Day of the Week
March 5, 2020 was the 65th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 301 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the March calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Pisces is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Aquamarine is the modern birthstone for this month. Jade is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Travis’ personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
March 5 Historical Event(s)
- 363Roman Emperor Julian moves from Antioch with an army of 90,000 to attack the Sassanid Empire, in a campaign which would bring about his own death.
- 1279The Livonian Order is defeated in the Battle of Aizkraukle by the Grand Duchy of Lithuania
- 1766Antonio de Ulloa, the first Spanish governor of Louisiana, arrives in New Orleans.
- 1770Boston Massacre: Five Americans, including Crispus Attucks, and a boy, are killed by British troops in an event that would contribute to the outbreak of the American Revolutionary War (also known as the American War of Independence) five years later. At a subsequent trial the soldiers are defended by John Adams.
- 1860Parma, Tuscany, Modena and Romagna vote in referendums to join the Kingdom of Sardinia.
- 1872George Westinghouse patents the air brake.
- 1933Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Party receives 43.9% at the Reichstag elections. This later allows the Nazis to pass the Enabling Act and establish a dictatorship.
- 1940Members of Soviet politburo sign an order for the execution of 25,700 Polish intelligentsia, including 14,700 Polish POWs, known also as the Katyn massacre.
- 1946Winston Churchill uses the phrase “Iron Curtain” in his speech at Westminster College, Missouri.
- 1974Yom Kippur War: Israeli forces withdraw from the west bank of the Suez Canal.
Who were born on March 5?
- 1817Austen Henry Layard, English archaeologist (d. 1894)
- 1897Set Persson, Swedish communist politician (d. 1960)
- 1898Zhou Enlai, Premier of the People’s Republic of China (d. 1976)
- 1935Paul Sand, American actor
- 1937Olusẹgun Ọbasanjọ, 5th & 12th President of Nigeria
- 1955Julien Dray, French politician
- 1969Paul Blackthorne, British actor
- 1971Filip Meirhaeghe, Belgian mountainbiker
- 1979Tang Gonghong, Chinese weightlifter
- 1988Bjarni Viðarsson, Icelandic footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.