May 1: Day of the Week
May 1, 2021 was the 121st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 244 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ZORUVVEIET? Check your answers here: Word solver ZORUVVEIET. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1576Stefan Batory, the reigning Prince of Transylvania, marries Anna Jagiellon and they become the co-rulers of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1753Publication of Species Plantarum by Linnaeus, and the formal start date of plant taxonomy adopted by the International Code of Botanical Nomenclature.
- 1759Josiah Wedgwood founds the Wedgwood pottery company in Great Britain.
- 1862American Civil War: The Union Army completes the Capture of New Orleans.
- 1884Moses Fleetwood Walker became the first black person to play in a professional baseball game in the United States.
- 1894Coxey’s Army, the first significant American protest march, arrives in Washington, D.C.
- 1898Spanish-American War: The Battle of Manila Bay – the United States Navy destroys the Spanish Pacific fleet in the first battle of the war.
- 1927The Union Labor Life Insurance Company is founded by the American Federation of Labor.
- 1978Japan’s Naomi Uemura, travelling by dog sled, becomes the first person to reach the North Pole alone.
- 1982The 1982 World’s Fair opens in Knoxville, Tennessee.
Who were born on May 1?
- 1769Arthur Wellesley, 1st Duke of Wellington, Anglo-Irish statesman (d. 1852)
- 1885Ralph Stackpole, American sculptor, painter (d. 1973)
- 1917John Beradino, American actor and baseball player (d. 1996)
- 1919Mohammed Karim Lamrani, Prime Minister of Morocco
- 1924Karel Kachyňa, Czech film director (d. 2004)
- 1956Phil Foglio, American cartoonist and comic book artist
- 1966Olaf Thon, German football player
- 1967Tim McGraw, American musician
- 1968Oliver Bierhoff, German footballer
- 1988Anushka Sharma, Indian actress and model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.