May 1: Day of the Week
May 1, 2019 is the 121st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 244 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1778American Revolution: The Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
- 1898Spanish-American War: The Battle of Manila Bay – the United States Navy destroys the Spanish Pacific fleet in the first battle of the war.
- 1915The RMS Lusitania departs from New York City on her two hundred and second, and final, crossing of the North Atlantic. Six days later, the ship is torpedoed off the coast of Ireland with the loss of 1,198 lives, including 128 Americans, rousing American sentiment against Germany.
- 1925The All-China Federation of Trade Unions is officially founded. Today it is the largest trade union in the world, with 134 million members.
- 1947Portella della Ginestra massacre against May Day celebrations in Sicily by the bandit and separatist leader Salvatore Giuliano; 11 persons are killed and 33 wounded.
- 1956The polio vaccine developed by Jonas Salk is made available to the public.
- 197736 people are killed in Taksim Square, Istanbul, during the Labour Day celebrations.
- 1990The former Philippine Episcopal Church (supervised by the Episcopal Church of the United States of America) is granted full autonomy and raised to the status of an Autocephalous Anglican Province and renamed the Episcopal Church of the Philippines.
- 1991Rickey Henderson of the Oakland Athletics steals his 939th base, making him the all-time leader in this category. However, his accomplishment is overshadowed later that evening by Nolan Ryan of the Texas Rangers, when he pitches his seventh career no-hitter, breaking his own record.
- 2004Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia join the European Union, celebrated at the residence of the Irish President in Dublin.
Who were born on May 1?
- 1827Jules Breton, French painter (d. 1906)
- 1830Guido Gezelle, Flemish poet and priest (d. 1899)
- 1905Paul Desruisseaux, French Canadian lawyer, businessman and politician (d. 1982)
- 1907Oliver Hill, civil rights attorney (d. 2007)
- 1908Giovannino Guareschi, Italian journalist (d. 1968)
- 1913Walter Susskind, Czech conductor (d. 1980)
- 1947Sergio Infante, Chilean poet and writer
- 1957Kow Otani, Japanese composer
- 1966Olaf Thon, German football player
- 1997Ariel Gade, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.