May 1: Day of the Week
May 1, 2019 was the 121st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 244 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1576Stefan Batory, the reigning Prince of Transylvania, marries Anna Jagiellon and they become the co-rulers of the Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth.
- 1778American Revolution: The Battle of Crooked Billet begins in Hatboro, Pennsylvania.
- 1851Queen Victoria opens the Great Exhibition in London.
- 1863American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville begins.
- 1884Proclamation of the demand for eight-hour workday in the United States.
- 1886Rallies are held throughout the United States demanding the eight-hour work day culminating in the Haymarket Affair.
- 1944200 Communist prisoners are shot by the Germans at Kaisariani in Athens as reprisals for the killing of General Franz Krech by partisans at Molaoi
- 1982Operation Black Buck: The Royal Air Force attacks the Argentine Air Force during Falklands War.
- 2008The London Agreement on translation of European patents, concluded in 2000, enters into force in 14 of the 34 Contracting States to the European Patent Convention.
- 2011Pope John Paul II is beatified by his successor, Pope Benedict XVI.
Who were born on May 1?
- 1672Joseph Addison, English politician and writer (d. 1719)
- 1881Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, French palaeontologist and philosopher (d. 1955)
- 1901Sterling Allen Brown, American professor, poet and literary critic (d. 1989)
- 1919Manna Dey, Indian singer
- 1921Vladimir Colin, Romanian fantasy and science fiction short story writer and novelist (d. 1991)
- 1943Vassal Gadoengin, Nauruan politician (d. 2004)
- 1948Patricia Hill Collins, American black-feminist and scholar
- 1957Kow Otani, Japanese composer
- 1966Charlie Schlatter, American actor
- 1975Marc-Vivien Foé, Cameroonian footballer (d. 2003)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.