May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2019 was the 131st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1812Prime Minister Spencer Perceval is assassinated by John Bellingham in the lobby of the House of Commons, London.
- 1862American Civil War: The ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled in the James River northwest of Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1894Pullman Strike: Four thousand Pullman Palace Car Company workers go on a wildcat strike in Illinois.
- 1924Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merging their two companies.
- 1927The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is founded.
- 1946UMNO is created.
- 1949Israel joins the United Nations.
- 1953The 1953 Waco tornado outbreak: an F5 tornado hits downtown Waco, Texas, killing 114.
- 1967Andreas Papandreou, Greek economist and socialist politician, is imprisoned in Athens by the Greek military junta.
- 1996After the aircraft’s departure from Miami, Florida, a fire started by improperly handled oxygen canisters in the cargo hold of Atlanta-bound ValuJet Flight 592 causes the Douglas DC-9 to crash in the Florida Everglades killing all 110 on board.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1799John Lowell, American philanthropist (d. 1836)
- 1811Jean-Jacques Challet-Venel, member of the Swiss Federal Council (d. 1893)
- 1895William Grant Still, American composer (d. 1978)
- 1922Ameurfina Melencio-Herrera, Filipino Supreme Court jurist
- 1946Robert Jarvik, American physician and inventor
- 1952Warren Littlefield, American television executive
- 1955John DeStefano, Jr., American politician
- 1961Luis Felipe, Cuban gangster
- 1978Perttu Kivilaakso, Finnish cellist (Apocalyptica)
- 1981Austin O'Brien, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.