May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2019 was the 131st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 912Alexander becomes Emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1502Christopher Columbus leaves for his fourth and final voyage to the West Indies.
- 1813In Australia, William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Wentworth lead an expedition westwards from Sydney. Their route opens up inland Australia for continued expansion throughout the 19th century.
- 1857Indian Mutiny: Indian rebels seize Delhi from the British.
- 1891The Ōtsu incident: Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich of Imperial Russia (later Nicholas II) suffers a critical head injury during a sword attack by Japanese policeman Tsuda Sanzō. He is rescued by Prince George of Greece and Denmark.
- 1944World War II: The Allies begin a major offensive against the Axis Powers on the Gustav Line.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1985Bradford City stadium fire: Fifty-six spectators die and more than 200 are injured in a flash fire at Valley Parade football ground during a match against Lincoln City in Bradford, England.
- 1995In New York City more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 1997Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer, defeats Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, becoming the first computer to beat a world-champion chess player in a classic match format.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1892Margaret Rutherford, English actress (d. 1972)
- 1897Kurt Gerron, German director (d. 1944)
- 1928Marco Ferreri, Italian film director and screenwriter (d. 1997)
- 1932Valentino Garavani (Valentino), Italian designer
- 1950Dane Iorg, American baseball player
- 1952Renaud, French composer
- 1970Harold Ford Jr., Political commentator and former U.S. Congressman
- 1974Stanley Gene, Papua New Guinean rugby league footballer
- 1986Abou Diaby, French footballer
- 1986Manuel Schenkhuizen, Dutch gamer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.