May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2019 was the 131st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Becky’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1310In France, fifty-four members of the Knights Templar are burned at the stake as heretics.
- 1820Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage.
- 1846President James K. Polk asked for and received a Declaration of War against Mexico, starting the Mexican-American War
- 1858Minnesota is admitted as the 32nd U.S. State.
- 1862American Civil War: The ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled in the James River northwest of Norfolk, Virginia.
- 190732 Shriners are killed when their chartered train derails at a switch near Surf Depot in Lompoc, California.
- 1918The Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus is officially established.
- 1927The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is founded.
- 1944World War II: The Allies begin a major offensive against the Axis Powers on the Gustav Line.
- 1996The 1996 Mount Everest disaster: on a single day eight people die during summit attempts on Mount Everest.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1888Willis A. Lee, World War II U.S. naval admiral (d. 1945)
- 1907Rose Ausländer, German poet (d. 1988)
- 1930Bud Ekins, American stuntman (d. 2007)
- 1934Jim Jeffords, former American politician
- 1935Francisco Umbral, Spanish novelist (d. 2007)
- 1939Dante Tinga, Filipino Supreme Court jurist
- 1940Juan Downey, Chilean video artist (d. 1993)
- 1941Eric Burdon, British singer (The Animals)
- 1965Monsour del Rosario, Filipino martial artist and actor
- 1977Pablo García, Uruguayan footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.