May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2020 was the 132nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters NREWCUUEAY? Check your answers here: Words with these letters NREWCUUEAY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1792Captain Robert Gray becomes the first documented white person to sail into the Columbia River.
- 1812Prime Minister Spencer Perceval is assassinated by John Bellingham in the lobby of the House of Commons, London.
- 1894Pullman Strike: Four thousand Pullman Palace Car Company workers go on a wildcat strike in Illinois.
- 1924Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merging their two companies.
- 1943World War II: American troops invade Attu Island in the Aleutian Islands in an attempt to expel occupying Japanese forces.
- 1949Israel joins the United Nations.
- 1949Siam officially changes its name to Thailand for the second time. The name had been in use since 1939 but was reverted in 1945.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1983Aberdeen F.C. defeat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 2000Second Chechen War: Chechen separatists ambush Russian paramilitary forces in the Republic of Ingushetia.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1911Mitchell Sharp, Canadian politician (d. 2004)
- 1911Phil Silvers, American actor and comedian (d. 1985)
- 1939Carlos Lyra, Brazilian musician
- 1954John Gregory, English football manager
- 1965Monsour del Rosario, Filipino martial artist and actor
- 1970Nicky Katt, American actor
- 1977Gonzalo Colsa, Spanish footballer
- 1984Gerald Clayton, Dutch/American jazz pianist
- 1984John Bowie, American football player
- 1986Ronny Heberson Furtado de Araújo, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.