May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2019 was the 131st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Myra’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1310In France, fifty-four members of the Knights Templar are burned at the stake as heretics.
- 1745War of Austrian Succession: Battle of Fontenoy – French forces defeat an Anglo-Dutch-Hanoverian army.
- 1820Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage.
- 1862American Civil War: The ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled in the James River northwest of Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1894Pullman Strike: Four thousand Pullman Palace Car Company workers go on a wildcat strike in Illinois.
- 1944World War II: The Allies begin a major offensive against the Axis Powers on the Gustav Line.
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Okinawa, the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill, is hit by two kamikazes, killing 346 of her crew. Although badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
- 1946UMNO is created.
- 1987In Baltimore, Maryland, the first heart-lung transplant takes place. The surgery is performed by Dr. Bruce Reitz of the Stanford University School of Medicine.
- 1995In New York City more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1861Frederick Russell Burnham, American inspiration and “father” of the international scouting movement (d. 1947)
- 1881Theodore von Kármán, Hungarian physicist (d. 1963)
- 1916Camilo José Cela, Spanish writer, Nobel laureate (d. 2002)
- 1939Carlos Lyra, Brazilian musician
- 1954John Gregory, English football manager
- 1961Luis Felipe, Cuban gangster
- 1977Pablo García, Uruguayan footballer
- 1987Louis Murphy, American football player
- 1987Monica Roşu, Romanian gymnast
- 1988Jeremy Maclin, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.