May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2022 was the 131st day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is miércoles.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters REIKIWLVCAO? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters REIKIWLVCAO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1310In France, fifty-four members of the Knights Templar are burned at the stake as heretics.
- 1502Christopher Columbus leaves for his fourth and final voyage to the West Indies.
- 1867Luxembourg gains its independence.
- 1942William Faulkner’s collections of short stories, Go Down, Moses, is published.
- 1943World War II: American troops invade Attu Island in the Aleutian Islands in an attempt to expel occupying Japanese forces.
- 1953The 1953 Waco tornado outbreak: an F5 tornado hits downtown Waco, Texas, killing 114.
- 1967Andreas Papandreou, Greek economist and socialist politician, is imprisoned in Athens by the Greek military junta.
- 1987Klaus Barbie goes on trial in Lyon for war crimes committed during World War II.
- 1996After the aircraft’s departure from Miami, Florida, a fire started by improperly handled oxygen canisters in the cargo hold of Atlanta-bound ValuJet Flight 592 causes the Douglas DC-9 to crash in the Florida Everglades killing all 110 on board.
- 1996The 1996 Mount Everest disaster: on a single day eight people die during summit attempts on Mount Everest.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1838Walter Goodman, British painter, illustrator and author (d. 1912)
- 1870Otto von Friesen, Swedish runologist and linguist (d. 1942)
- 1925Edward J. King, 66th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 2006)
- 1957Peter North, Canadian pornographic actor
- 1964Floyd Youmans, American baseball player
- 1965Monsour del Rosario, Filipino martial artist and actor
- 1968Jeffrey Donovan, American actor
- 1975Coby Bell, American actor
- 1986Miguel Veloso, Portuguese footballer
- 1986Ronny Heberson Furtado de Araújo, Brazilian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.