May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2019 is the 131st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1880Seven people are killed in the Mussel Slough Tragedy, a gun battle in California
- 1891The Ōtsu incident: Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich of Imperial Russia (later Nicholas II) suffers a critical head injury during a sword attack by Japanese policeman Tsuda Sanzō. He is rescued by Prince George of Greece and Denmark.
- 1924Mercedes-Benz is formed by Gottlieb Daimler and Karl Benz merging their two companies.
- 1927The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is founded.
- 1949Israel joins the United Nations.
- 1953The 1953 Waco tornado outbreak: an F5 tornado hits downtown Waco, Texas, killing 114.
- 1970The Lubbock Tornado, a F5 tornado, hits Lubbock, Texas, killing 26 and causing $250 million in damage.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1996After the aircraft’s departure from Miami, Florida, a fire started by improperly handled oxygen canisters in the cargo hold of Atlanta-bound ValuJet Flight 592 causes the Douglas DC-9 to crash in the Florida Everglades killing all 110 on board.
- 1998India conducts three underground atomic tests in Pokhran to include a thermonuclear device.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1571Niwa Nagashige, Japanese warlord (d. 1637)
- 1733Victoire of France, daughter of king Louis XV of France (d. 1799)
- 1811Chang and Eng Bunker, Thai/American conjoined twins (d. 1874)
- 1824Jean-Léon Gérôme, French painter and sculptor (d. 1904)
- 1835Kārlis Baumanis, Latvian composer (d. 1905)
- 1870Otto von Friesen, Swedish runologist and linguist (d. 1942)
- 1903Charlie Gehringer, American baseball player (d. 1993)
- 1946Robert Jarvik, American physician and inventor
- 1974Benoît Magimel, French actor
- 1984Gerald Clayton, Dutch/American jazz pianist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.