May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2020 is the 132nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Daisy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1310In France, fifty-four members of the Knights Templar are burned at the stake as heretics.
- 1745War of Austrian Succession: Battle of Fontenoy – French forces defeat an Anglo-Dutch-Hanoverian army.
- 1820Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage.
- 1846President James K. Polk asked for and received a Declaration of War against Mexico, starting the Mexican-American War
- 190732 Shriners are killed when their chartered train derails at a switch near Surf Depot in Lompoc, California.
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Okinawa, the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill, is hit by two kamikazes, killing 346 of her crew. Although badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
- 1960In Buenos Aires, Argentina, four Israeli Mossad agents capture fugitive Nazi Adolf Eichmann who is living under the alias of Ricardo Klement.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1996After the aircraft’s departure from Miami, Florida, a fire started by improperly handled oxygen canisters in the cargo hold of Atlanta-bound ValuJet Flight 592 causes the Douglas DC-9 to crash in the Florida Everglades killing all 110 on board.
- 1997Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer, defeats Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, becoming the first computer to beat a world-champion chess player in a classic match format.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1763János Batsányi, Hungarian poet (d. 1845)
- 1827Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, French sculptor and painter (d. 1875)
- 1852Charles W. Fairbanks, 26th United States Vice President (d. 1918)
- 1907Rose Ausländer, German poet (d. 1988)
- 1930Bud Ekins, American stuntman (d. 2007)
- 1941Eric Burdon, British singer (The Animals)
- 1953David Gest, American television producer
- 1961Luis Felipe, Cuban gangster
- 1968Jeffrey Donovan, American actor
- 1978Laetitia Casta, French supermodel and actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.