May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2021 is the 131st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Raul’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1745War of Austrian Succession: Battle of Fontenoy – French forces defeat an Anglo-Dutch-Hanoverian army.
- 1942William Faulkner’s collections of short stories, Go Down, Moses, is published.
- 1943World War II: American troops invade Attu Island in the Aleutian Islands in an attempt to expel occupying Japanese forces.
- 1944World War II: The Allies begin a major offensive against the Axis Powers on the Gustav Line.
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Okinawa, the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill, is hit by two kamikazes, killing 346 of her crew. Although badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
- 1953The 1953 Waco tornado outbreak: an F5 tornado hits downtown Waco, Texas, killing 114.
- 1960In Buenos Aires, Argentina, four Israeli Mossad agents capture fugitive Nazi Adolf Eichmann who is living under the alias of Ricardo Klement.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1997Deep Blue, a chess-playing supercomputer, defeats Garry Kasparov in the last game of the rematch, becoming the first computer to beat a world-champion chess player in a classic match format.
- 1998India conducts three underground atomic tests in Pokhran to include a thermonuclear device.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1854Jack Blackham, Australian cricketer (d. 1932)
- 1909Ellis R. Dungan, American born Indian film director (d. 2001)
- 1925Edward J. King, 66th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 2006)
- 1956Alex Lester, British broadcaster
- 1964Floyd Youmans, American baseball player
- 1970Harold Ford Jr., Political commentator and former U.S. Congressman
- 1975Francisco Cordero, Dominican baseball player
- 1984Andrés Iniesta, Spanish football player
- 1985Matt Giraud, American singer
- 1987Monica Roşu, Romanian gymnast
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.