May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2020 was the 132nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Cecil’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 330Byzantium is renamed Nova Roma during a dedication ceremony, but it is more popularly referred to as Constantinople.
- 1502Christopher Columbus leaves for his fourth and final voyage to the West Indies.
- 1647Peter Stuyvesant arrives in New Amsterdam to replace Willem Kieft as Director-General of New Netherland, the Dutch colonial settlement in present-day New York City.
- 1820Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage.
- 1880Seven people are killed in the Mussel Slough Tragedy, a gun battle in California
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Okinawa, the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill, is hit by two kamikazes, killing 346 of her crew. Although badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
- 1953The 1953 Waco tornado outbreak: an F5 tornado hits downtown Waco, Texas, killing 114.
- 1987In Baltimore, Maryland, the first heart-lung transplant takes place. The surgery is performed by Dr. Bruce Reitz of the Stanford University School of Medicine.
- 1995In New York City more than 170 countries decide to extend the Nuclear Nonproliferation Treaty indefinitely and without conditions.
- 1996After the aircraft’s departure from Miami, Florida, a fire started by improperly handled oxygen canisters in the cargo hold of Atlanta-bound ValuJet Flight 592 causes the Douglas DC-9 to crash in the Florida Everglades killing all 110 on board.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1827Jean-Baptiste Carpeaux, French sculptor and painter (d. 1875)
- 1895William Grant Still, American composer (d. 1978)
- 1909Ellis R. Dungan, American born Indian film director (d. 2001)
- 1914Haroun Tazieff, French volcanologist (d. 1998)
- 1930Edsger Dijkstra, Dutch computer scientist (d. 2002)
- 1950Jeremy Paxman, British journalist and author
- 1956Theresa Burke, Canadian journalist
- 1958Christian Brando, American actor; son of Marlon Brando (d. 2008)
- 1963Masatoshi Hamada, Japanese comedian
- 1975Francisco Cordero, Dominican baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.