May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2020 was the 132nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Ivy’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 1502Christopher Columbus leaves for his fourth and final voyage to the West Indies.
- 1862American Civil War: The ironclad Ship CSS is scuttled in the James River northwest of Norfolk, Virginia.
- 1880Seven people are killed in the Mussel Slough Tragedy, a gun battle in California
- 1946UMNO is created.
- 1968The Toronto Transit Commission opens the largest expansion of its Bloor–Danforth line, going to Scarborough in the East, and Etobicoke in the West.
- 1983Aberdeen F.C. defeat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden.
- 1985Bradford City stadium fire: Fifty-six spectators die and more than 200 are injured in a flash fire at Valley Parade football ground during a match against Lincoln City in Bradford, England.
- 1987In Baltimore, Maryland, the first heart-lung transplant takes place. The surgery is performed by Dr. Bruce Reitz of the Stanford University School of Medicine.
- 1996The 1996 Mount Everest disaster: on a single day eight people die during summit attempts on Mount Everest.
- 2000Second Chechen War: Chechen separatists ambush Russian paramilitary forces in the Republic of Ingushetia.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1771Laskarina Bouboulina, Greek naval commander in the Greek War of Independence (d. 1825)
- 1881Jan van Gilse, Dutch composer and conductor (d. 1944)
- 1892Margaret Rutherford, English actress (d. 1972)
- 1927Mort Sahl, Canadian comedian and political commentator
- 1939Carlos Lyra, Brazilian musician
- 1952Frances Fisher, English-born actress
- 1958Phil Smyth, Australian basketball player
- 1974Stanley Gene, Papua New Guinean rugby league footballer
- 1978Laetitia Casta, French supermodel and actress
- 1989Giovani dos Santos, Mexican footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.