May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2021 is the 131st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EHOTIROE? Check your answers here: Word search EHOTIROE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 330Byzantium is renamed Nova Roma during a dedication ceremony, but it is more popularly referred to as Constantinople.
- 1745War of Austrian Succession: Battle of Fontenoy – French forces defeat an Anglo-Dutch-Hanoverian army.
- 1813In Australia, William Lawson, Gregory Blaxland and William Wentworth lead an expedition westwards from Sydney. Their route opens up inland Australia for continued expansion throughout the 19th century.
- 1820Launch of HMS Beagle, the ship that took Charles Darwin on his scientific voyage.
- 1846President James K. Polk asked for and received a Declaration of War against Mexico, starting the Mexican-American War
- 1867Luxembourg gains its independence.
- 1880Seven people are killed in the Mussel Slough Tragedy, a gun battle in California
- 1918The Mountainous Republic of the Northern Caucasus is officially established.
- 1927The Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences is founded.
- 1945World War II: Off the coast of Okinawa, the aircraft carrier USS Bunker Hill, is hit by two kamikazes, killing 346 of her crew. Although badly damaged, the ship is able to return to the U.S. under her own power.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1722Petrus Camper, Dutch anatomist (d. 1789)
- 1899Paulino Masip, Spanish playwright (d. 1963)
- 1918Richard Feynman, American physicist, Nobel laureate (d. 1988)
- 1928Brother Andrew, Dutch missionary
- 1928Yaacov Agam, Israeli sculptor
- 1930Bud Ekins, American stuntman (d. 2007)
- 1936Carla Bley, American musician and composer
- 1963Gunilla Carlsson, Swedish politician
- 1974Benoît Magimel, French actor
- 1984John Bowie, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.