May 11: Day of the Week
May 11, 2018 was the 131st day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 234 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 11 Historical Event(s)
- 912Alexander becomes Emperor of the Byzantine Empire.
- 1867Luxembourg gains its independence.
- 1891The Ōtsu incident: Tsarevich Nicholas Alexandrovich of Imperial Russia (later Nicholas II) suffers a critical head injury during a sword attack by Japanese policeman Tsuda Sanzō. He is rescued by Prince George of Greece and Denmark.
- 1894Pullman Strike: Four thousand Pullman Palace Car Company workers go on a wildcat strike in Illinois.
- 1942William Faulkner’s collections of short stories, Go Down, Moses, is published.
- 1946UMNO is created.
- 1960In Buenos Aires, Argentina, four Israeli Mossad agents capture fugitive Nazi Adolf Eichmann who is living under the alias of Ricardo Klement.
- 1970The Lubbock Tornado, a F5 tornado, hits Lubbock, Texas, killing 26 and causing $250 million in damage.
- 1973Citing government misconduct, Daniel Ellsberg has charges for his involvement in releasing the Pentagon Papers to The New York Times dismissed.
- 1983Aberdeen F.C. defeat Real Madrid 2-1 to win the European Cup Winners’ Cup in Gothenburg, Sweden.
Who were born on May 11?
- 1801Henri Labrouste, French architect (d. 1875)
- 1907Rose Ausländer, German poet (d. 1988)
- 1930Edsger Dijkstra, Dutch computer scientist (d. 2002)
- 1943Juliet Harmer, English actress
- 1952Warren Littlefield, American television executive
- 1956Alex Lester, British broadcaster
- 1959Martha Quinn, American television personality
- 1974Darren Ward, Welsh footballer
- 1985Matt Giraud, American singer
- 1986Abou Diaby, French footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.