May 12: Day of the Week
May 12, 2019 is the 132nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 233 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1364Jagiellonian University, the oldest university in Poland, is founded in Kraków, Poland.
- 1689King William’s War: William III of England joins the League of Augsburg starting a war with France.
- 1780American Revolutionary War: In the largest defeat of the Continental Army, Charleston, South Carolina is taken by British forces.
- 1864American Civil War: the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die in “the Bloody Angle”.
- 1873Oscar II is crowned King of Sweden.
- 1916James Connolly was sat on a chair and shot dead in Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin, after his role in the Easter Uprising
- 1937George VI and Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon are crowned King and Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.
- 1955Austria regains its independence as the Allied occupation following World War II ends.
- 1958A formal North American Aerospace Defense Command agreement is signed between the United States and Canada.
- 1998Four students are shot at Trisakti University, leading to widespread riots and the fall of Suharto
Who were born on May 12?
- 1885Paltiel Daykan, Russian-born Israeli jurist (d. 1969)
- 1916Albert Murray, American writer
- 1921Joseph Beuys, German artist (d. 1986)
- 1942Ian Dury, British musician (d. 2000)
- 1948David Heineman, American politician, current governor of Nebraska
- 1956Bernie Federko, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1981Rami Malek, American actor
- 1982Darren Williams, American basketball player
- 1982David Thaxton, British stage actor and singer
- 1983Charilaos Pappas, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.