May 12: Day of the Week
May 12, 2019 was the 132nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 233 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Stephanie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1864American Civil War: the Battle of Spotsylvania Court House: thousands of Union and Confederate soldiers die in “the Bloody Angle”.
- 1916James Connolly was sat on a chair and shot dead in Kilmainham Gaol in Dublin, after his role in the Easter Uprising
- 1926UK General Strike 1926: In the United Kingdom, a nine-day general strike by trade unions ends.
- 1942Holocaust: 1,500 Jews are sent to gas chambers in Auschwitz.
- 1949The Soviet Union lifts its blockade of Berlin.
- 1949The western occupying powers approve the Basic Law for the new German state: the Federal Republic of Germany.
- 1952Gaj Singh is crowned Maharaja of Jodhpur.
- 1955Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singapore, rioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore’s bid for independence.
- 1981Francis Hughes starves to death in the Maze Prison in a Republican campaign for political prisoner status to be granted to Provisional IRA prisoners.
- 2003Fifty-nine Democratic lawmakers bring the Texas Legislature to a standstill by going into hiding in a dispute over a Republican congressional redistricting plan.
Who were born on May 12?
- 1829Pavlos Carrer, Greek composer (d. 1896)
- 1895Jiddu Krishnamurti, Indian philosopher (d. 1986)
- 1899Indra Devi, Latvian Yoga Instructor (d. 2002)
- 1900Helene Weigel, German actress (d. 1971)
- 1937George Carlin, American comedian (d. 2008)
- 1943Linda Dano, American Actress
- 1947Michael Ignatieff, Canadian politician
- 1955Kix Brooks, American country singer (Brooks & Dunn)
- 1979Steve Smith, American football player
- 1989Matthew Hann, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.