May 12: Day of the Week
May 12, 2020 was the 133rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 233 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OUJRKUFQ? Check your answers here: Word scramble OUJRKUFQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1551National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, is founded in Lima, Peru.
- 1863American Civil War: Battle of Raymond: two divisions of James B. McPherson’s XVII Corps (ACW) turn the left wing of Confederate General John C. Pemberton’s defensive line on Fourteen Mile Creek, opening up the interior of Mississippi to the Union Army during the Vicksburg Campaign.
- 1881In North Africa, Tunisia becomes a French protectorate.
- 1935Bill Wilson and Dr. Bob Smith (founders of Alcoholics Anonymous) meet for the first time in Akron, Ohio, at the home of Henrietta Siberling.
- 1975Mayagüez incident: the Cambodian navy seizes the American merchant ship SS Mayaguez in international waters.
- 1982During a procession outside the shrine of the Virgin Mary in Fátima, Portugal, security guards overpower Juan Fernandez Krohn before he can attack Pope John Paul II with a bayonet. Krohn, an ultraconservative Spanish priest opposed to the Vatican II reforms, believed that the Pope had to be killed for being an “agent of Moscow”.
- 2006Iranian Azeris interpret a cartoon published in an Iranian magazine as insulting, resulting in massive riots throughout the country.
- 2006Mass unrest by the Primeiro Comando da Capital begins in São Paulo (Brazil), leaving at least 150 dead.
- 2007Riots in which over 50 people are killed and over 100 are injured take place in Karachi upon the arrival in town of the Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry.
- 2008An earthquake (measuring around 8.0 magnitude) occurs in Sichuan, China, killing over 69,000 people.
Who were born on May 12?
- 1622Louis de Buade de Frontenac, Governor General of New France (d. 1698)
- 1700Luigi Vanvitelli, Italian architect (d. 1773)
- 1895Jiddu Krishnamurti, Indian philosopher (d. 1986)
- 1914James Bacon, American entertainment columnist and reporter (d. 2010)
- 1928Henry Cosby, American songwriter (d. 2002)
- 1950Bruce Boxleitner, American actor
- 1961Paul Begala, American political commentator
- 1963Gavin Hood, South African film director
- 1973Travis Lutter, American mixed martial arts fighter
- 1977Rebecca Herbst, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.