May 12: Day of the Week
May 12, 2019 is the 132nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 233 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 12 Historical Event(s)
- 254Pope Stephen I succeeds Pope Lucius I as the 23rd pope.
- 922After much hardship, Abbasid envoy Ahmad ibn Fadlan arrived in the lands of Volga Bulgars.
- 1551National University of San Marcos, the oldest university in the Americas, is founded in Lima, Peru.
- 1588French Wars of Religion: Henry III of France flees Paris after Henry of Guise enters the city and a spontaneous uprising occurs.
- 1949The Soviet Union lifts its blockade of Berlin.
- 1955Austria regains its independence as the Allied occupation following World War II ends.
- 1975Mayagüez incident: the Cambodian navy seizes the American merchant ship SS Mayaguez in international waters.
- 1978In Zaire, rebels occupy the city of Kolwezi, the mining center of the province of Shaba (now known as Katanga). The local government asks the U.S.A., France and Belgium to restore order.
- 1982During a procession outside the shrine of the Virgin Mary in Fátima, Portugal, security guards overpower Juan Fernandez Krohn before he can attack Pope John Paul II with a bayonet. Krohn, an ultraconservative Spanish priest opposed to the Vatican II reforms, believed that the Pope had to be killed for being an “agent of Moscow”.
- 2003Fifty-nine Democratic lawmakers bring the Texas Legislature to a standstill by going into hiding in a dispute over a Republican congressional redistricting plan.
Who were born on May 12?
- 1496Gustav I of Sweden (d. 1560)
- 1839Tôn Thất Thuyết, the leading mandarin of Vietnam’s Nguyễn Dynasty (d. 1913)
- 1907Katharine Hepburn, American actress (d. 2003)
- 1942Ian Dury, British musician (d. 2000)
- 1961Bruce McCulloch, Canadian actor
- 1963Charles Pettigrew, American singer (Charles and Eddie) (d. 2001)
- 1970Mark Foster, British swimmer
- 1975Jonah Lomu, New Zealand rugby union footballer
- 1979Erdinç Saçan, Turkish-Dutch politician
- 1983Charilaos Pappas, Greek footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.