May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2019 is the 137th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Taurus horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1536George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford and four other men are executed for treason.
- 1805Muhammad Ali becomes Wāli of Egypt.
- 1809Napoleon I of France orders the annexation of the Papal States to the French Empire.
- 1915The last British Liberal Party government (led by Herbert Henry Asquith) falls.
- 1939The Columbia Lions and the Princeton Tigers play in the United States’ first televised sporting event, a collegiate baseball game in New York City.
- 1943The United States Army contracts with the University of Pennsylvania’s Moore School to develop the ENIAC.
- 1954The United States Supreme Court hands down a unanimous decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas.
- 1974Dublin and Monaghan bombings: Thirty-three civilians are killed when the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) explodes car bombs in Dublin and Monaghan, Republic of Ireland.
- 1983The U.S. Department of Energy declassifies documents showing world’s largest mercury pollution event in Oak Ridge, Tennessee (ultimately found to be 4.2 million pounds), in response to the Appalachian Observer’s Freedom of Information Act request.
- 2007Trains from North and South Korea cross the 38th Parallel in a test-run agreed by both governments. This is the first time that trains have crossed the Demilitarized Zone since 1953.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1443Edmund, Earl of Rutland, brother of Kings Edward IV of England and Richard III of England (d. 1460)
- 1749Edward Jenner, English medical researcher (d. 1823)
- 1836Wilhelm Steinitz, Austrian chess player (d. 1900)
- 1931Marshall Applewhite, American cult leader of Heaven’s Gate (d. 1997)
- 1952Howard Hampton, Canadian politician
- 1955Bill Paxton, American actor and film director
- 1969Thom Filicia, American television personality
- 1971Princess Máxima of the Netherlands
- 1983Nicky Hofs, Dutch footballer
- 1986Tahj Mowry, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.