May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2020 is the 138th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jace’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1642Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve (1612–1676) founds the Ville Marie de Montréal.
- 1673Louis Joliet and Jacques Marquette begin exploring the Mississippi River.
- 1875Aristides wins the first Kentucky Derby.
- 1933Vidkun Quisling and Johan Bernhard Hjort form Nasjonal Samling — the national-socialist party of Norway.
- 1939The Columbia Lions and the Princeton Tigers play in the United States’ first televised sporting event, a collegiate baseball game in New York City.
- 1940World War II: Germany occupies Brussels, Belgium.
- 1969Venera program: Soviet Venera 6 begins its descent into the atmosphere of Venus, sending back atmospheric data before being crushed by pressure.
- 1983Lebanon, Israel, and the United States sign an agreement on Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon.
- 1983The U.S. Department of Energy declassifies documents showing world’s largest mercury pollution event in Oak Ridge, Tennessee (ultimately found to be 4.2 million pounds), in response to the Appalachian Observer’s Freedom of Information Act request.
- 1990The General Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) eliminates homosexuality from the list of psychiatric diseases.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1718Robert Darcy, 4th Earl of Holderness, English diplomat and politician (d. 1778)
- 1895Mary Josephine Ray, Canadian supercentenarian (d. 2010)
- 1941David Cope, American composer and author
- 1962Craig Ferguson, Scottish actor and comedian
- 1965Jeremy Vine, British journalist and presenter
- 1965Paige Turco, American actress
- 1969Tabatha Coffey, Australian hairstylist and television personality
- 1974Wiki González, Venezuelan baseball player
- 1976José Guillén, Dominican baseball player
- 1983Nicky Hofs, Dutch footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.