May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2019 is the 137th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1849A large fire nearly burns St. Louis, Missouri to the ground.
- 1875Aristides wins the first Kentucky Derby.
- 1900Second Boer War: British troops relieve Mafeking.
- 1940World War II: the old city centre of the Dutch town of Middelburg is bombed by the German Luftwaffe, to force the surrender of the Dutch armies in Zeeland.
- 1967Six-Day War: President Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt demands dismantling of the peace-keeping UN Emergency Force in Egypt.
- 1983Lebanon, Israel, and the United States sign an agreement on Israeli withdrawal from Lebanon.
- 1987An Iraqi Dassault Mirage F1 fighter jet fires two missiles into the U.S. Navy warship USS Stark, killing 37 and injuring 21 of her crew.
- 1997Troops of Laurent Kabila march into Kinshasa. Zaire is officially renamed Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- 2004Massachusetts becomes the first U.S. state to legalize same-sex marriage.
- 2007Trains from North and South Korea cross the 38th Parallel in a test-run agreed by both governments. This is the first time that trains have crossed the Demilitarized Zone since 1953.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1768Caroline of Brunswick, German-born Queen consort of George IV of the United Kingdom (d. 1821)
- 1918Birgit Nilsson, Swedish soprano (d. 2005)
- 1919Merle Miller, American biographer (d. 1986)
- 1931Marshall Applewhite, American cult leader of Heaven’s Gate (d. 1997)
- 1934Friedrich-Wilhelm Kiel, German politician
- 1935Dennis Potter, English writer (d. 1994)
- 1953Luca Prodan, Italian-Scottish singer and musician (Sumo, Hurlingham Reggae Band)
- 1957Pascual Pérez, Dominican baseball player
- 1975Kostas Sommer, Greek actor
- 1980Dallas Taylor, American singer (Underoath)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.