May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2020 was the 138th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LJBOMHMAUAER? Check your answers here: Unscramble words LJBOMHMAUAER. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1536George Boleyn, Viscount Rochford and four other men are executed for treason.
- 1642Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve (1612–1676) founds the Ville Marie de Montréal.
- 1792The New York Stock Exchange is formed.
- 1865The International Telegraph Union (later the International Telecommunication Union) is established in Paris.
- 1875Aristides wins the first Kentucky Derby.
- 1933Vidkun Quisling and Johan Bernhard Hjort form Nasjonal Samling — the national-socialist party of Norway.
- 1943World War II: the Dambuster Raids by No. 617 Squadron RAF on German dams.
- 1974Dublin and Monaghan bombings: Thirty-three civilians are killed when the Ulster Volunteer Force (UVF) explodes car bombs in Dublin and Monaghan, Republic of Ireland.
- 1987An Iraqi Dassault Mirage F1 fighter jet fires two missiles into the U.S. Navy warship USS Stark, killing 37 and injuring 21 of her crew.
- 1992Three days of popular protests against the government of Prime Minister of Thailand Suchinda Kraprayoon begin in Bangkok, leading to a military crackdown that results in 52 officially confirmed deaths, many disappearances, hundreds of injuries, and over 3,500 arrests.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1718Robert Darcy, 4th Earl of Holderness, English diplomat and politician (d. 1778)
- 1749Edward Jenner, English medical researcher (d. 1823)
- 1768Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey, English general (d. 1854)
- 1895Mary Josephine Ray, Canadian supercentenarian (d. 2010)
- 1937Hazel R. O'Leary, 7th United States Secretary of Energy
- 1941Grace Zabriskie, American actress
- 1946F. Paul Wilson, American novelist
- 1975Kostas Sommer, Greek actor
- 1984Christine Robinson, Canadian water polo player
- 1986Tahj Mowry, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.