May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2019 was the 137th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1642Paul Chomedey de Maisonneuve (1612–1676) founds the Ville Marie de Montréal.
- 1775American Revolutionary War: the Continental Congress bans trade with Quebec.
- 1814Occupation of Monaco changes from French to Austrian.
- 1849A large fire nearly burns St. Louis, Missouri to the ground.
- 1869Imperial Japanese forces defeat the remnants of the Tokugawa shogunate in the Battle of Hakodate to end the Boshin War.
- 1875Aristides wins the first Kentucky Derby.
- 1954The United States Supreme Court hands down a unanimous decision in Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas.
- 1967Six-Day War: President Gamal Abdel Nasser of Egypt demands dismantling of the peace-keeping UN Emergency Force in Egypt.
- 1980General Chun Doo-hwan of South Korea seizes control of the government and declares martial law in order to suppress student demonstrations.
- 2006The aircraft carrier USS Oriskany is sunk in the Gulf of Mexico as an artificial reef.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1768Caroline of Brunswick, German-born Queen consort of George IV of the United Kingdom (d. 1821)
- 1844Julius Wellhausen, German biblical scholar (d. 1918)
- 1919Antonio Aguilar, Mexican singer and actor (d. 2007)
- 1941Ben Nelson. 40th Governor of Nebraska & United States Senator from Nebraska
- 1945Tony Roche, Australian tennis player
- 1966Mark Kratzmann, Australian tennis player
- 1970Hubert Davis, American basketball player
- 1970Matt Lindland, American mixed martial arts fighter
- 1976Leehom Wang, American-born Taiwanese musician and composer
- 1981Beñat Albizuri, Spanish cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.