May 17: Day of the Week
May 17, 2021 is the 137th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 228 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters CYICAIOIKXF? Check your answers here: Words with these letters CYICAIOIKXF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1775American Revolutionary War: the Continental Congress bans trade with Quebec.
- 1814The Constitution of Norway is signed and the Danish Crown Prince Christian Frederik is elected King of Norway by the Norwegian Constituent Assembly.
- 1849A large fire nearly burns St. Louis, Missouri to the ground.
- 1863Rosalía de Castro publishes Cantares Gallegos, the first book in the Galician language.
- 1869Imperial Japanese forces defeat the remnants of the Tokugawa shogunate in the Battle of Hakodate to end the Boshin War.
- 1943The United States Army contracts with the University of Pennsylvania’s Moore School to develop the ENIAC.
- 1973Watergate scandal: Televised hearings begin in the United States Senate.
- 1983The U.S. Department of Energy declassifies documents showing world’s largest mercury pollution event in Oak Ridge, Tennessee (ultimately found to be 4.2 million pounds), in response to the Appalachian Observer’s Freedom of Information Act request.
- 1984Prince Charles calls a proposed addition to the National Gallery, London, a “monstrous carbuncle on the face of a much-loved and elegant friend,” sparking controversies on the proper role of the Royal Family and the course of modern architecture.
- 1990The General Assembly of the World Health Organization (WHO) eliminates homosexuality from the list of psychiatric diseases.
Who were born on May 17?
- 1768Henry Paget, 1st Marquess of Anglesey, English general (d. 1854)
- 1836Virginie Loveling, Belgian writer and poet (d. 1923)
- 1939Gary Paulsen, American author
- 1941Grace Zabriskie, American actress
- 1949Bill Bruford, English drummer (Yes, King Crimson)
- 1950Howard Ashman, American lyricist (d. 1991)
- 1950Janez Drnovšek, Slovenian politician (d. 2008)
- 1959Jim Nantz, American broadcaster
- 1965Trent Reznor, American musician (Nine Inch Nails)
- 1983Chris Henry, American football player (d. 2009)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.