May 18: Day of the Week
May 18, 2020 was the 139th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 227 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Veronica’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1302Bruges Matins, the nocturnal massacre of the French garrison in Bruges by members of the local Flemish militia.
- 1652Rhode Island passes the first law in North America making slavery illegal.
- 1896Khodynka Tragedy: A mass panic on Khodynka Field in Moscow during the festivities of the coronation of Russian Tsar Nicholas II results in the deaths of 1,389 people.
- 1917World War I: The Selective Service Act of 1917 is passed, giving the President of the United States the power of conscription.
- 1927The Bath School Disaster: forty-five people are killed by bombs planted by a disgruntled school-board member in Michigan.
- 1944Deportation of Crimean Tatars by the Soviet Union government.
- 1953Jackie Cochran becomes the first woman to break the sound barrier.
- 1956First ascent of Lhotse 8,516 meters, by a Swiss team.
- 1974Completion of the Warsaw radio mast, the tallest construction ever built at the time. It collapsed on August 8, 1991.
- 2005A second photo from the Hubble Space Telescope confirms that Pluto has two additional moons: Nix and Hydra.
Who were born on May 18?
- 1048Omar Khayyám, Persian mathematician, poet and philosopher (d. 1131)
- 1785John Wilson, Scottish writer (d. 1854)
- 1850Oliver Heaviside, English physicist (d. 1925)
- 1911Big Joe Turner, American blues singer (d. 1985)
- 1931Don Martin, American cartoonist (d. 2000)
- 1952Diane Duane, American writer
- 1958Toyah Willcox, English actor and singer
- 1983Gary O'Neil, English footballer
- 1983Vince Young, American football player
- 1986Ryan Lamb, English rugby union player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.