May 18: Day of the Week
May 18, 2021 is the 138th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 227 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters VGVFROIU? Check your answers here: Unscramble words VGVFROIU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1302Bruges Matins, the nocturnal massacre of the French garrison in Bruges by members of the local Flemish militia.
- 1652Rhode Island passes the first law in North America making slavery illegal.
- 1803Napoleonic Wars: The United Kingdom revokes the Treaty of Amiens and declares war on France.
- 1848Opening of the first German National Assembly (Nationalversammlung) in Frankfurt, Germany.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg begins.
- 1959Launch of the National Liberation Committee of Côte d'Ivoire in Conakry, Guinea.
- 1974Completion of the Warsaw radio mast, the tallest construction ever built at the time. It collapsed on August 8, 1991.
- 1990In France, a modified TGV train achieves a new rail world speed record of 515.3 km/h (320.2 mph).
- 2005A second photo from the Hubble Space Telescope confirms that Pluto has two additional moons: Nix and Hydra.
- 2006The post Loktantra Andolan government passes a landmark bill curtailing the power of the monarchy and making Nepal a secular country.
Who were born on May 18?
- 1868Tsar Nicholas II of Russia (d. 1918)
- 1889Thomas Midgley, Jr., American chemist and inventor (d. 1944)
- 1905Hedley Verity, English cricketer (d. 1943)
- 1914Pierre Balmain, French fashion designer (d. 1982)
- 1924Priscilla Pointer, American actress
- 1939Giovanni Falcone, Italian magistrate and Mafia victim (d. 1992)
- 1952Jeana Yeager, American aviator
- 1970Tina Fey, American writer/actress
- 1976Ron Mercer, American basketball player
- 1983Gary O'Neil, English footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.