May 18: Day of the Week
May 18, 2019 was the 138th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 227 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1302Bruges Matins, the nocturnal massacre of the French garrison in Bruges by members of the local Flemish militia.
- 1863American Civil War: The Siege of Vicksburg begins.
- 1896Khodynka Tragedy: A mass panic on Khodynka Field in Moscow during the festivities of the coronation of Russian Tsar Nicholas II results in the deaths of 1,389 people.
- 1948The First Legislative Yuan of the Republic of China officially convenes in Nanking.
- 1959Launch of the National Liberation Committee of Côte d'Ivoire in Conakry, Guinea.
- 1965Israeli spy Eli Cohen was hanged in Damascus, Syria.
- 1974Nuclear test: under project Smiling Buddha, India successfully detonates its first nuclear weapon becoming the sixth nation to do so.
- 1983In Ireland, the government launches a crackdown, with the leading Dublin pirate Radio Nova being put off the air.
- 1991Northern Somalia declares independence from the rest of Somalia as the Republic of Somaliland but is not recognized by the international community.
- 1993EU - riots in Nørrebro, Copenhagen caused by the approval of the four Danish exceptions in the Maastricht Treaty referendum. Police opened fire against civilians for the first time since World War II and injured 11 demonstrators. In total 113 bullets are fired.
Who were born on May 18?
- 1873Lucy Beaumont, English actress (d. 1937)
- 1891Rudolf Carnap, German philosopher (d. 1970)
- 1912Walter Sisulu, South African anti-apartheid activist (d. 2003)
- 1914Robert J. Wilke, American actor (d. 1989)
- 1923Hugh Shearer, Prime Minister of Jamaica (d. 2004)
- 1938Joan Blackman, American actress
- 1944W. G. Sebald, German-born writer (d. 2001)
- 1946Andreas Katsulas, American actor (d. 2006)
- 1960Yannick Noah, French tennis player
- 1972Turner Stevenson, Canadian ice hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.