May 21: Day of the Week
May 21, 2022 was the 141st day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 224 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XMBPEAQPMIJ? Check your answers here: Word search XMBPEAQPMIJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 21 Historical Event(s)
- 293Roman Emperors Diocletian and Maximian appoint Galerius as Caesar to Diocletian, beginning the period of four rulers known as the Tetrarchy.
- 879Pope John VIII gives blessings to duke Branimir and to Croatian people, considered to be international recognition of the Croatian state.
- 1725The Order of St. Alexander Nevsky is instituted in Russia by Empress Catherine I. It would later be discontinued and then reinstated by the Soviet government in 1942 as the Order of Alexander Nevsky.
- 1851Slavery is abolished in Colombia, South America.
- 1863Organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Battle Creek, Michigan.
- 1871French troops invade the Paris Commune and engage its residents in street fighting. By the close of “Bloody Week” some 20,000 communards have been killed and 38,000 arrested.
- 1936Sada Abe is arrested after wandering the streets of Tokyo for days with her dead lover’s severed genitals in her hand. Her story soon becomes one of Japan’s most notorious scandals.
- 1946Physicist Louis Slotin is fatally irradiated in a criticality incident during an experiment with the Demon core at Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 2005The tallest roller coaster in the world, Kingda Ka opens at Six Flags Great Adventure.
- 2006The Republic of Montenegro holds a referendum proposing independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. The Montenegrin people choose independence with a majority of 55%.
Who were born on May 21?
- 1527King Philip II of Spain (d. 1598)
- 1901Manfred Aschner, German-born Israeli microbiologist (d. 1989)
- 1913Gina Bachauer, Greek pianist (d. 1976)
- 1920Forrest White, American musical instruments industry executive (d. 1994)
- 1923Ara Parseghian, American football coach
- 1955Stan Lynch, American drummer (Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers)
- 1968Julie Vega, Filipino child actress and singer (d. 1985)
- 1972Adriano Cintra, Brazilian musician (CSS)
- 1977Michael Fuß, German footballer
- 1984Sara Goller, German beach volleyball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.