May 21: Day of the Week
May 21, 2020 was the 142nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 224 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UNFODOOBX? Check your answers here: Word finder UNFODOOBX. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 21 Historical Event(s)
- 878Syracuse, Italy is captured by the Muslim sultan of Sicily.
- 1863Organization of the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Battle Creek, Michigan.
- 1864Russia declares an end to the Russian-Circassian War and many Circassians are forced into exile. The day is designated the Circassian Day of Mourning.
- 1871French troops invade the Paris Commune and engage its residents in street fighting. By the close of “Bloody Week” some 20,000 communards have been killed and 38,000 arrested.
- 1917The Great Atlanta fire of 1917.
- 1932Bad weather forces Amelia Earhart to land in a pasture in Derry, Northern Ireland, and she thereby becomes the first woman to fly solo across the Atlantic Ocean.
- 1939The Canadian National War Memorial is unveiled by King George VI and Queen Elizabeth in Ottawa.
- 1972Michelangelo’s Pietà in St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome is damaged by a vandal, the mentally disturbed Hungarian geologist Laszlo Toth.
- 1998In Miami, Florida, five abortion clinics are hit by a butyric acid attacker.
- 2006The Republic of Montenegro holds a referendum proposing independence from the State Union of Serbia and Montenegro. The Montenegrin people choose independence with a majority of 55%.
Who were born on May 21?
- 1902Marcel Lajos Breuer, Hungarian-born architect (d. 1981)
- 1947Bill Champlin, American singer
- 1958Jefery Levy, American television director
- 1964Carolyn Lawrence, American actress
- 1969Pierluigi Brivio, Italian footballer
- 1972Alesha Oreskovich, American model
- 1977Michael Fuß, German footballer
- 1979Damián Ariel Álvarez, Argentinian footballer
- 1985Marco Carta, Italian singer
- 1985Mutya Buena, English singer (Sugababes)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.