May 21: Day of the Week
May 21, 2019 was the 141st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 224 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Karla’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1349Dušan’s Code, the constitution of the Serbian Empire, is enacted by Dušan the Mighty.
- 1674The nobility elect John Sobieski King of Poland and Grand Duke of Lithuania.
- 1851Slavery is abolished in Colombia, South America.
- 1864Russia declares an end to the Russian-Circassian War and many Circassians are forced into exile. The day is designated the Circassian Day of Mourning.
- 1871French troops invade the Paris Commune and engage its residents in street fighting. By the close of “Bloody Week” some 20,000 communards have been killed and 38,000 arrested.
- 1871Opening of the first rack railway in Europe, the Rigi-Bahnen on Mount Rigi.
- 1881The American Red Cross is established by Clara Barton in Washington, D.C.
- 1924University of Chicago students Richard Loeb and Nathan Leopold, Jr. murder 14-year-old Bobby Franks in a “thrill killing”.
- 1981The Italian government releases the membership list of Propaganda Due, an illegal pseudo-Masonic lodge that was implicated in numerous Italian crimes and mysteries.
- 2005The tallest roller coaster in the world, Kingda Ka opens at Six Flags Great Adventure.
Who were born on May 21?
- 1755Alfred Moore, American judge (d. 1810)
- 1827William P. Sprague, American politician (d. 1899)
- 1941Martin Carthy, English folk singer and guitarist
- 1944Mary Robinson, President of Ireland
- 1959Nick Cassavetes, American actor and director
- 1968Matthias Ungemach, German rower
- 1970Dorsey Levens, American football player
- 1972Adriano Cintra, Brazilian musician (CSS)
- 1983Veloso, Brazilian footballer
- 1984Lorena Ayala, Dutch/Spanish model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.