May 22: Day of the Week
May 22, 2022 is the 142nd day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 223 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IGAFAUSOPN? Check your answers here: Word finder IGAFAUSOPN. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 22 Historical Event(s)
- 853A Byzantine fleet sacks and destroys undefended Damietta in Egypt
- 1176The Hashshashin (Assassins) attempt to murder Saladin near Aleppo.
- 1809On the second and last day of the Battle of Aspern-Essling (near Vienna), Napoleon is repelled by an enemy army for the first time.
- 1816A mob in Littleport, Cambridgeshire, England, riots over high unemployment and rising grain costs; the rioting spreads to Ely the next day.
- 1871The U.S. Army issued an order for abandonment of Fort Kearny in Nebraska.
- 1906The Wright brothers are granted U.S. patent number 821,393 for their “Flying-Machine”.
- 1915Three trains collide in the Quintinshill rail crash near Gretna Green, Scotland, killing 227 people and injuring 246; the accident is found to be the result of non-standard operating practices during a shift change at a busy junction.
- 1942Mexico enters World War II on the side of the Allies.
- 1997Kelly Flinn, US Air Force’s first female bomber pilot certified for combat, accepts a general discharge in order to avoid a court martial.
- 2002American civil rights movement: a jury in Birmingham, Alabama, convicts former Ku Klux Klan member Bobby Frank Cherry of the 1963 murders of four girls in the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church.
Who were born on May 22?
- 1622Louis de Buade de Frontenac, French governor of New France (d. 1698)
- 1901Maurice J. Tobin, 56th Governor of Massachusetts (d. 1953)
- 1908Rattana Pestonji, Thai filmmaker (d. 1970)
- 1936M. Scott Peck, American psychiatrist and writer (d. 2005)
- 1942Calvin Simon, American musician (P Funk)
- 1957Lisa Murkowski, American politician
- 1967Brooke Smith, American actress
- 1967John Vanderslice, American musician
- 1968Graham Linehan, Irish television writer and director (Black Books, The IT Crowd)
- 1978Katie Price, British model and reality TV personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.