May 22: Day of the Week
May 22, 2021 is the 142nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 223 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters BIOYIZIZA? Check your answers here: Word finder BIOYIZIZA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1455Wars of the Roses: at the First Battle of St Albans, Richard, Duke of York, defeats and captures King Henry VI of England.
- 1809On the second and last day of the Battle of Aspern-Essling (near Vienna), Napoleon is repelled by an enemy army for the first time.
- 1840The transporting of British convicts to the New South Wales colony is abolished.
- 1843Thousands of people and their cattle head west via wagon train from Independence, Missouri to what would later become the Oregon Territory. It is part of the Great Migration. They follow what is now known as the Oregon Trail.
- 1872Reconstruction: U.S. President Ulysses S. Grant signs the Amnesty Act of 1872 into law restoring full civil rights to all but about 500 Confederate sympathizers.
- 1903Launch of the White Star Liner, SS Ionic.
- 1939World War II: Germany and Italy sign the Pact of Steel.
- 1967The L'Innovation department store in the centre of Brussels, Belgium, burns down. It is the most devastating fire in Belgian history, resulting in 323 dead and missing and 150 injured.
- 1968The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Scorpion sinks with 99 men aboard 400 miles southwest of the Azores.
- 1990North and South Yemen are unified to create the Republic of Yemen.
Who were born on May 22?
- 1724Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne, French explorer (d. 1772)
- 1907Sir Laurence Olivier, English stage and screen actor (d. 1989)
- 1911Anatol Rapoport, Russian-born mathematical psychologist and pianist (d. 2007)
- 1941Martha Langbein, German athlete
- 1955Dale Winton, British radio DJ and television presenter
- 1961Mike Breen, American sportscaster
- 1967John Vanderslice, American musician
- 1977Vinnie Potestivo, American TV producer
- 1985CariDee English, American model
- 1993Ben Lewis, English photographer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.