May 22: Day of the Week
May 22, 2019 was the 142nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 223 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
May 22 Historical Event(s)
- 334 BCThe Macedonian army of Alexander the Great defeats Darius III of Persia in the Battle of the Granicus.
- 1377Pope Gregory XI issues five papal bulls to denounce the doctrines of English theologian John Wycliffe.
- 1819The SS Savannah leaves port at Savannah, Georgia, United States, on a voyage to become the first steamship to cross the Atlantic Ocean. The ship arrived at Liverpool, England on June 20.
- 1848Slavery is abolished in Martinique.
- 1897The Blackwall Tunnel under the River Thames is officially opened
- 1972Ceylon adopts a new constitution, thus becoming a Republic, changes its name to Sri Lanka, and joins the Commonwealth of Nations.
- 1987First ever Rugby World Cup kicks off with New Zealand playing Italy at Eden Park, Auckland.
- 1990Microsoft releases the Windows 3.0 operating system.
- 1997Kelly Flinn, US Air Force’s first female bomber pilot certified for combat, accepts a general discharge in order to avoid a court martial.
- 2008The Late-May 2008 tornado outbreak sequence unleashes 235 tornadoes, including an EF4 and an EF5 tornado, between May 22 and May 31, 2008. The tornadoes struck 19 states and one Canadian province.
Who were born on May 22?
- 1904Pyotr Sobolevsky, Soviet actor (d. 1977)
- 1910Johnny Olson, American game show announcer (d. 1985)
- 1930Kenny Ball, British musician
- 1947Andreas Gerasimos Michalitsianos, Greek-American astronomer and a NASA astrophysicist (d. 1997)
- 1950Bernie Taupin, English songwriter
- 1973Julián Tavárez, Dominican baseball player
- 1974John Bale, American baseball player
- 1976Daniel Erlandsson, drummer of Swedish death metal band Arch Enemy
- 1980Steven Baker, Australian Australian rules footballer
- 1985Graham Harrell, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.