May 22: Day of the Week
May 22, 2019 was the 142nd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 223 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 22 Historical Event(s)
- 853A Byzantine fleet sacks and destroys undefended Damietta in Egypt
- 1377Pope Gregory XI issues five papal bulls to denounce the doctrines of English theologian John Wycliffe.
- 1844Persian Prophet The Báb announces his revelation, founding Bábism. He announces to the world the coming of “He whom God shall make manifest”. He is considered the forerunner of Bahá'u'lláh, the founder of the Bahá'í Faith.
- 1958Sri Lankan riots of 1958: This riot is a watershed event in the race relationship of the various ethnic communities of Sri Lanka. The total number of deaths is estimated to be 300, mostly Sri Lankan Tamils.
- 1967The L'Innovation department store in the centre of Brussels, Belgium, burns down. It is the most devastating fire in Belgian history, resulting in 323 dead and missing and 150 injured.
- 1987Hashimpura massacre in Meerut city of India.
- 1992After 30 years, 66-year-old Johnny Carson hosts The Tonight Show for the last time.
- 1997Kelly Flinn, US Air Force’s first female bomber pilot certified for combat, accepts a general discharge in order to avoid a court martial.
- 2002American civil rights movement: a jury in Birmingham, Alabama, convicts former Ku Klux Klan member Bobby Frank Cherry of the 1963 murders of four girls in the bombing of the 16th Street Baptist Church.
- 2010Air India Express Flight 812 overshoots the runway and crashes. 158 people are killed.
Who were born on May 22?
- 1879Alla Nazimova, Ukrainian-born actress, scriptwriter, and producer (d. 1945)
- 1879Warwick Armstrong, Australian cricketer (d. 1947)
- 1927George Andrew Olah, Hungarian-born chemist, Nobel laureate
- 1943Tommy John, American baseball player
- 1944Vaiko, Indian politician
- 1947Andreas Gerasimos Michalitsianos, Greek-American astronomer and a NASA astrophysicist (d. 1997)
- 1957Gary Sweet, Australian actor
- 1966Jose Mesa, Dominican baseball player
- 1977Alastair Ralphs, Canadian professional wrestler
- 1982Apolo Anton Ohno, American short track speed skater
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.