May 22: Day of the Week
May 22, 2021 was the 142nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 223 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FDABOE? Check your answers here: Word solver FDABOE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1871The U.S. Army issued an order for abandonment of Fort Kearny in Nebraska.
- 1903Launch of the White Star Liner, SS Ionic.
- 1906The Wright brothers are granted U.S. patent number 821,393 for their “Flying-Machine”.
- 1915Lassen Peak erupts with a powerful force, and is the only mountain other than Mount St. Helens to erupt in the continental US during the 20th century.
- 1915Three trains collide in the Quintinshill rail crash near Gretna Green, Scotland, killing 227 people and injuring 246; the accident is found to be the result of non-standard operating practices during a shift change at a busy junction.
- 1962Continental Airlines Flight 11 crashes after bombs explode on board.
- 1968The nuclear-powered submarine the USS Scorpion sinks with 99 men aboard 400 miles southwest of the Azores.
- 1998Lewinsky scandal: a federal judge rules that United States Secret Service agents can be compelled to testify before a grand jury concerning the scandal, involving President Bill Clinton.
- 2002In Washington, D.C., the remains of the missing Chandra Levy are found in Rock Creek Park.
- 2003In Fort Worth, Texas, Annika Sörenstam becomes the first woman to play the PGA Tour in 58 years.
Who were born on May 22?
- 1859Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Scottish physician and writer (d. 1930)
- 1925Jean Tinguely, Swiss artist (d. 1991)
- 1943Tommy John, American baseball player
- 1948Richard Baker, American politician
- 1950Alekos Alavanos, Greek politician
- 1957Gary Sweet, Australian actor
- 1973Julián Tavárez, Dominican baseball player
- 1974Graham Fenton, English footballer
- 1983John Hopkins, American motorcycling racer
- 1993Ben Lewis, English photographer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.