May 3: Day of the Week
May 3, 2019 was the 123rd day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 242 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1491Kongo monarch Nkuwu Nzinga is baptised by Portuguese missionaries, adopting the baptismal name of João I.
- 1860Charles XV of Sweden-Norway is crowned king of Sweden.
- 1877Labatt Park, the oldest continually operating baseball grounds in the world has its first game.
- 1916The leaders of the Easter Rising are executed in Dublin.
- 1936Joe DiMaggio, familiarly referred to as Joltin' Joe and The Yankee Clipper makes his major league debut for the New York Yankees.
- 1939The All India Forward Bloc is formed by Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- 1942World War II: Japanese naval troops invade Tulagi Island in the Solomon Islands during the first part of Operation Mo that results in the Battle of the Coral Sea between Japanese forces and forces from the United States and Australia.
- 1951The United States Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committees begin their closed door hearings into the dismissal of General Douglas MacArthur by U.S. President Harry Truman.
- 1952The Kentucky Derby is televised nationally for the first time on the CBS network.
- 2000The sport of geocaching begins, with the first cache placed and the coordinates from a GPS posted on Usenet.
Who were born on May 3?
- 1879Fergus McMaster, Australian businessman (d. 1950)
- 1887Marika Kotopouli, Greek actress (d. 1954)
- 1896Dodie Smith, English novelist and playwright (d. 1990)
- 1917Betty Comden, American lyricist (d. 2006)
- 1923Ralph Hall, American politician
- 1932Robert Osborne, American film historian
- 1959Uma Bharati, Indian politician
- 1969Daryl F. Mallett, American writer/editor
- 1977Mashima Hiro, Japanese manga artist of Rave Master and Fairy Tail
- 1990Miranda Chartrand, Canadian singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.