May 3: Day of the Week
May 3, 2020 was the 124th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 242 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IYNCIAOHO? Check your answers here: Unscramble words IYNCIAOHO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 3 Historical Event(s)
- 1481The largest of three earthquakes strikes the island of Rhodes and causes an estimated 30,000 casualties.
- 1808Finnish War: Sweden loses the fortress of Sveaborg to Russia.
- 1815Neapolitan War: Joachim Murat, King of Naples is defeated by the Austrians at the Battle of Tolentino, the decisive engagement of the war.
- 1901The Great Fire of 1901 begins in Jacksonville, Florida.
- 1916The leaders of the Easter Rising are executed in Dublin.
- 1947New post-war Japanese constitution goes into effect.
- 1951The United States Senate Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committees begin their closed door hearings into the dismissal of General Douglas MacArthur by U.S. President Harry Truman.
- 1952The Kentucky Derby is televised nationally for the first time on the CBS network.
- 1960The Off-Broadway musical comedy, The Fantasticks, opens in New York City’s Greenwich Village, eventually becoming the longest-running musical of all time.
- 1999The southwestern portion of Oklahoma City, Oklahoma is devastated by an F5 tornado killing forty-five people, injuring 665, and causing $1 billion in damage. The tornado is one of 66 from the 1999 Oklahoma tornado outbreak. This is the strongest tornado ever recorded with wind speeds of up to 318 mph.
Who were born on May 3?
- 1849Jacob August Riis, American journalist (d. 1914)
- 1877Karl Abraham, German psychoanalyst (d. 1925)
- 1905Werner Fenchel, German mathematician (d. 1988)
- 1910Norman Corwin, American radio pioneer
- 1919John Cullen Murphy, American comic strip artist (d. 2004)
- 1948Chris Mulkey, American actor
- 1961David Vitter, American politician
- 1961Joe Murray, American cartoonist
- 1962Anders Graneheim, Swedish bodybuilder
- 1981Farrah Franklin, American singer (former member of Destiny’s Child)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.