May 30: Day of the Week
May 30, 2019 is the 150th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 215 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Gemini horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
May 30 Historical Event(s)
- 1815The East Indiaman ship Arniston is wrecked during a storm at Waenhuiskrans, near Cape Agulhas, present-day South Africa, with the loss of 372 lives.
- 1834Joaquim António de Aguiar issue a law extinguishing “all convents, monasteries, colleges, hospices and any other houses of the regular religious orders”, earning him the nickname of “The Friar-Killer”.
- 1842John Francis attempts to murder Queen Victoria as she drives down Constitution Hill, London with Prince Albert.
- 1868Decoration Day (the predecessor of the modern “Memorial Day”) is observed in the United States for the first time (By “Commander-in-chief of the Grand Army of the Republic” John A. Logan’s proclamation on May 5).
- 1914The new and then largest Cunard ocean liner RMS Aquitania, 45,647 tons, sets sails on her maiden voyage from Liverpool, England to New York City.
- 1942World War II: 1000 British bombers launch a 90-minute attack on Cologne, Germany.
- 1958Memorial Day: the remains of two unidentified American servicemen, killed in action during World War II and the Korean War respectively, are buried at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in Arlington National Cemetery.
- 1959The Auckland Harbour Bridge, crossing the Waitemata Harbour in Auckland, New Zealand, is officially opened by Governor-General Lord Cobham.
- 1972In Tel Aviv, Israel members of the Japanese Red Army carry out the Lod Airport Massacre, killing 24 people and injuring 78 others.
- 2003Depayin massacre: at least 70 people associated with the National League for Democracy are killed by government-sponsored mob in Burma. Aung San Suu Kyi fled the scene, but is arrested soon afterwards.
Who were born on May 30?
- 1423Georg Purbach, German mathematician and astronomer (d. 1461)
- 1902Stepin Fetchit, American dancer and actor (d. 1985)
- 1910Ralph Metcalfe, American athlete (d. 1978)
- 1912Hugh Griffith, Welsh actor (d. 1980)
- 1918Guadalupe “Pita” Amor, Mexican poet (d. 2000)
- 1919René Barrientos, President of Bolivia (d. 1969)
- 1928Kevin Charles “Pro” Hart, Australian artist (d. 2006)
- 1930Robert Ryman, American painter
- 1950Paresh Rawal, Indian actor
- 1969Ryuhei Kitamura, Japanese filmmaker
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.