May 31: Day of the Week
May 31, 2021 is the 151st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 214 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Gemini is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OUABPVEA? Check your answers here: Unscramble words OUABPVEA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 31 Historical Event(s)
- 1279 BCRameses II (The Great) (19th dynasty) becomes pharaoh of Ancient Egypt.
- 1775American Revolution: The Mecklenburg Resolutions are allegedly adopted in the Province of North Carolina.
- 1790The United States enacts its first copyright statute, the Copyright Act of 1790.
- 1916World War I: Battle of Jutland – The British Grand Fleet under the command of Sir John Jellicoe & Sir David Beatty engage the Kaiserliche Marine under the command of Reinhard Scheer & Franz von Hipper in the largest naval battle of the war, which proves indecisive.
- 1924The Soviet Union signs an agreement with the Peking government, referring to Outer Mongolia as an “integral part of the Republic of China”, whose “sovereignty” therein the Soviet Union promises to respect.
- 1970The Ancash earthquake causes a landslide that buries the town of Yungay, Peru; more than 47,000 people are killed.
- 1971In accordance with the Uniform Monday Holiday Act passed by the U.S. Congress in 1968, observation of Memorial Day occurs on the last Monday in May for the first time, rather than on the traditional Memorial Day of May 30.
- 1973The United States Senate votes to cut off funding for the bombing of Khmer Rouge targets within Cambodia, hastening the end of the Cambodian Civil War.
- 1977The Trans-Alaska Pipeline System completed.
- 2010In international waters, armed Shayetet 13 commandos, intending to force the flotilla to anchor at the Ashdod port, boarded ships trying to break the ongoing blockade of the Gaza Strip, resulting in 9 civilian deaths when teams of IHH activists on the MV Mavi Marmara attacked them with knives and metal rods and abducted one of the soldiers.
Who were born on May 31?
- 1162Genghis Khan, Khagan of the Mongol Empire (d. 1227)
- 1892Erich Neumann, German Nazi politician (d. 1951)
- 1898Dr. Norman Vincent Peale, American clergyman (d. 1993)
- 1932Jay Miner, American microchip designer (d. 1994)
- 1945Bernard Goldberg, American journalist
- 1948Lynda Bellingham, Canadian-born English actress and broadcaster
- 1960Chris Elliott, American comedian
- 1963Wesley Willis, American musician (d. 2003)
- 1977Theodoros Baev, Bulgarian-born Greek volleyball player
- 1984Nate Robinson, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.