May 6: Day of the Week
May 6, 2023 is the 126th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 239 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UOARUKBEH? Check your answers here: Word search UOARUKBEH. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1816The American Bible Society is founded in New York City.
- 1844The Glaciarium, the world’s first mechanically frozen ice rink, opens.
- 1861American Civil War: Arkansas secedes from the Union.
- 1910George V becomes King of the United Kingdom upon the death of his father, Edward VII.
- 1937Hindenburg disaster: The German zeppelin Hindenburg catches fire and is destroyed within a minute while attempting to dock at Lakehurst, New Jersey. Thirty-six people are killed.
- 1941At California’s March Field, Bob Hope performs his first USO show.
- 1945World War II: Axis Sally delivers her last propaganda broadcast to Allied troops.
- 1994Former Arkansas state worker Paula Jones files a lawsuit against President Bill Clinton, alleging that he had sexually harassed her in 1991.
- 1994Queen Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and French President François Mitterrand officiate at the opening of the Channel Tunnel.
- 1997The Bank of England is given independence from political control, the most significant change in the bank’s 300-year history.
Who were born on May 6?
- 1871Victor Grignard, French chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1935)
- 1903Toots Shor, American restaurateur (d. 1977)
- 1909Loyd Sigmon, American amateur radio broadcaster (d. 2004)
- 1916Robert H. Dicke, American physicist (d. 1997)
- 1929Paul Lauterbur, American chemist, Nobel laureate (d. 2007)
- 1961Gina Riley, Australian actress, writer, singer and comedian
- 1970Roland Kun, Nauruan politician
- 1977Christophe Brandt, Belgian cyclist
- 1977Marc Chouinard, French Canadian ice hockey player
- 1991Tyler, The Creator, American Rapper
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.