May 6: Day of the Week
May 6, 2020 was the 127th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 239 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters FUWGQAKVE? Check your answers here: Words with these letters FUWGQAKVE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
May 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1527Spanish and German troops sack Rome; some consider this the end of the Renaissance. 147 Swiss Guards, including their commander, die fighting the forces of Charles V in order to allow Pope Clement VII to escape into Castel Sant'Angelo.
- 1659English Restoration: A faction of the British Army removes Richard Cromwell as Lord Protector of the Commonwealth and reinstalls the Rump Parliament.
- 1835James Gordon Bennett, Sr. publishes the first issue of the New York Herald.
- 1857The British East India Company disbands the 34th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry whose sepoy Mangal Pandey had earlier revolted against the British and is considered to be the First Martyr in the War of Indian Independence.
- 1889The Eiffel Tower is officially opened to the public at the Universal Exposition in Paris.
- 1935The first flight of the Curtiss P-36 Hawk.
- 1972Deniz Gezmiş, Yusuf Aslan and Hüseyin İnan are executed in Ankara for attempting to overthrow the Constitutional order.
- 1997The Bank of England is given independence from political control, the most significant change in the bank’s 300-year history.
- 1998Kerry Wood strikes out 20 Houston Astros to tie the major league record held by Roger Clemens. He threw a one-hitter and did not walk a batter in his 5th career start.
- 2002Dutch politician Pim Fortuyn is assassinated by an animal rights activist.
Who were born on May 6?
- 1713Charles Batteux, French philosopher (d. 1780)
- 1800Roman Sanguszko, Polish aristocrat and general (d. 1881)
- 1871Christian Morgenstern, German author (d. 1914)
- 1909Loyd Sigmon, American amateur radio broadcaster (d. 2004)
- 1924Patricia Kennedy Lawford, American socialite (d. 2006)
- 1942Rin Kaiho, professional go player
- 1952Gerrit Zalm, Dutch politician and CEO (ABN AMRO)
- 1953Graeme Souness, Scottish footballer/manager
- 1977Mark Eaton, American ice hockey player
- 1991Valerio Frasca, Italian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.