May 6: Day of the Week
May 6, 2023 was the 126th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 239 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters SYEXZKOEKOA? Check your answers here: Word search SYEXZKOEKOA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
May 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1536King Henry VIII orders English language Bibles be placed in every church.
- 1659English Restoration: A faction of the British Army removes Richard Cromwell as Lord Protector of the Commonwealth and reinstalls the Rump Parliament.
- 1757Battle of Prague – A Prussian army fights an Austrian army in Prague during the Seven Years’ War.
- 1840The Penny Black postage stamp becomes valid for use in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.
- 1844The Glaciarium, the world’s first mechanically frozen ice rink, opens.
- 1935New Deal: Executive Order 7034 creates the Works Progress Administration.
- 1942World War II: On Corregidor, the last American forces in the Philippines surrender to the Japanese.
- 1945World War II: Axis Sally delivers her last propaganda broadcast to Allied troops.
- 1983The Hitler diaries are revealed as a hoax after examination by experts.
- 1998Kerry Wood strikes out 20 Houston Astros to tie the major league record held by Roger Clemens. He threw a one-hitter and did not walk a batter in his 5th career start.
Who were born on May 6?
- 1574Pope Innocent X (d. 1655)
- 1897Paul Alverdes, German writer (d. 1979)
- 1902Harry Golden, American journalist (d. 1981)
- 1904Moshe Feldenkrais, Ukrainian-born founder of the Feldenkrais method (d. 1984)
- 1924Denny Wright, British guitarist (d. 1992)
- 1970Tristán Ulloa, Spanish actor
- 1980Ricardo Oliveira, Brazilian footballer
- 1983Dani Alves, Brazilian footballer
- 1991Valerio Frasca, Italian footballer
- 1996Dominic Scott Kay, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.