May 6: Day of the Week
May 6, 2019 was the 126th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 239 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Rene’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1527Spanish and German troops sack Rome; some consider this the end of the Renaissance. 147 Swiss Guards, including their commander, die fighting the forces of Charles V in order to allow Pope Clement VII to escape into Castel Sant'Angelo.
- 1542Francis Xavier reaches Old Goa, the capital of Portuguese India at the time.
- 1757Battle of Prague – A Prussian army fights an Austrian army in Prague during the Seven Years’ War.
- 1801Captain Thomas Cochrane in the 14-gun HMS Speedy captures the 32-gun Spanish frigate El Gamo.
- 1835James Gordon Bennett, Sr. publishes the first issue of the New York Herald.
- 1857The British East India Company disbands the 34th Regiment of Bengal Native Infantry whose sepoy Mangal Pandey had earlier revolted against the British and is considered to be the First Martyr in the War of Indian Independence.
- 1863American Civil War: The Battle of Chancellorsville ends with the defeat of the Army of the Potomac by Confederate troops.
- 1972Deniz Gezmiş, Yusuf Aslan and Hüseyin İnan are executed in Ankara for attempting to overthrow the Constitutional order.
- 1989Cedar Point opens Magnum XL-200, the first roller coaster to break the 200 ft height barrier, therefore spawning what is considered to be the “coaster wars”.
- 1997The Bank of England is given independence from political control, the most significant change in the bank’s 300-year history.
Who were born on May 6?
- 1871Victor Grignard, French chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1935)
- 1947Martha Nussbaum, American philosopher
- 1954Dora Bakoyannis, Greek politician
- 1961George Clooney, American actor
- 1977Marc Chouinard, French Canadian ice hockey player
- 1978Aleksandr Fyodorov, Russian bodybuilder
- 1978Fredrick Federley, Swedish politician
- 1979Kerry Ellis, West End actress / singer
- 1983Adrianne Palicki, American actress
- 1986Roman Kreuziger, Czech Astana pro cyclist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.