May 7: Day of the Week
May 7, 2019 is the 127th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 238 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1429Joan of Arc ends the Siege of Orléans, pulling an arrow from her own shoulder and returning, wounded, to lead the final charge. The victory marks a turning point in the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1718The city of New Orleans is founded by Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville.
- 1895In Saint Petersburg, Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrates to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society his invention, the Popov lightning detector — a primitive radio receiver. In some parts of the former Soviet Union the anniversary of this day is celebrated as Radio Day.
- 1942During the Battle of the Coral Sea, United States Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attack and sink the Japanese Imperial Navy light aircraft carrier Shōhō. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- 1960Cold War: U-2 Crisis of 1960 – Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev announces that his nation is holding American U-2 pilot Gary Powers.
- 1974West German Chancellor Willy Brandt resigns.
- 1992Three employees at a McDonald’s Restaurant in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, are brutally murdered and a fourth permanently disabled after a botched robbery. It is the first “fast-food murder” in Canada.
- 1994Edvard Munch’s iconic painting The Scream is recovered undamaged after having been stolen from the National Gallery of Norway in February.
- 1999Pope John Paul II travels to Romania becoming the first pope to visit a predominantly Eastern Orthodox country since the Great Schism in 1054.
- 2002A China Northern Airlines MD-82 plunges into the Yellow Sea, killing 112 people.
Who were born on May 7?
- 1812Robert Browning, English poet (d. 1889)
- 1857William A. MacCorkle, American politician (d. 1930)
- 1892Archibald MacLeish, American Librarian of Congress (d. 1982)
- 1931Gene Wolfe, American science fiction author
- 1946Thelma Houston, American singer
- 1964Doug Benson, American comedian
- 1976Calvin Booth, American basketball player
- 1978Brian Clevinger, American author
- 1982Ákos Buzsáky, Hungarian footballer
- 1984Drew Stanton, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.