May 7: Day of the Week
May 7, 2019 was the 127th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 238 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
May 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1274In France, the Second Council of Lyons opens to regulate the election of the Pope.
- 1348Charles University in Prague (Universitas Carolina/Univerzita Karlova) is established as the first university in Central Europe.
- 1864American Civil War: The Army of the Potomac, under General Ulysses S. Grant, breaks off from the Battle of the Wilderness and moves southwards.
- 1895In Saint Petersburg, Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrates to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society his invention, the Popov lightning detector — a primitive radio receiver. In some parts of the former Soviet Union the anniversary of this day is celebrated as Radio Day.
- 1915World War I: German submarine SMU U-20 sinks RMS Lusitania, killing 1,198 people including 128 Americans. Public reaction to the sinking turns many formerly pro-Germans in the United States against the German Empire.
- 1945World War II: General Alfred Jodl signs unconditional surrender terms at Reims, France, ending Germany’s participation in the war. The document takes effect the next day.
- 1948The Council of Europe is founded during the Hague Congress.
- 1992The Space Shuttle Endeavour is launched on its first mission (STS-49).
- 1999In Guinea-Bissau, President João Bernardo Vieira is ousted in a military coup.
- 2002A China Northern Airlines MD-82 plunges into the Yellow Sea, killing 112 people.
Who were born on May 7?
- 1882Willem Elsschot, Flemish writer (d. 1960)
- 1930Totie Fields, American comedienne (d. 1978)
- 1940Jim Connors, American radio personality (d. 1987)
- 1948Susan Atkins, American murderer (d. 2009)
- 1950Randall ‘Tex’Cobb, American boxer and actor
- 1967Martin Bryant, Australian mass murderer
- 1968Traci Lords, American actress
- 1978Shawn Marion, American basketball player
- 1979Katie Douglas, American basketball player
- 1987Serge Gakpé, Togolese footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.