May 7: Day of the Week
May 7, 2020 is the 128th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 238 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the May calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Taurus is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Emerald is the modern birthstone for this month. Sapphire is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Susie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
May 7 Historical Event(s)
- 1348Charles University in Prague (Universitas Carolina/Univerzita Karlova) is established as the first university in Central Europe.
- 1429Joan of Arc ends the Siege of Orléans, pulling an arrow from her own shoulder and returning, wounded, to lead the final charge. The victory marks a turning point in the Hundred Years’ War.
- 1697Stockholm’s royal castle (dating back to medieval times) is destroyed by fire. It is replaced by the current Royal Palace in the eighteenth century.
- 1864American Civil War: The Army of the Potomac, under General Ulysses S. Grant, breaks off from the Battle of the Wilderness and moves southwards.
- 1895In Saint Petersburg, Russian scientist Alexander Stepanovich Popov demonstrates to the Russian Physical and Chemical Society his invention, the Popov lightning detector — a primitive radio receiver. In some parts of the former Soviet Union the anniversary of this day is celebrated as Radio Day.
- 1937Spanish Civil War: The German Condor Legion, equipped with Heinkel He 51 biplanes, arrives in Spain to assist Francisco Franco’s forces.
- 1942During the Battle of the Coral Sea, United States Navy aircraft carrier aircraft attack and sink the Japanese Imperial Navy light aircraft carrier Shōhō. The battle marks the first time in the naval history that two enemy fleets fight without visual contact between warring ships.
- 1948The Council of Europe is founded during the Hague Congress.
- 1992Michigan ratifies a 203-year-old proposed amendment to the United States Constitution making the 27th Amendment law. This amendment bars the U.S. Congress from giving itself a mid-term pay raise.
- 1999Kosovo War: In Federal Republic of Yugoslavia, three Chinese citizens are killed and 20 wounded when a NATO aircraft bombs the Chinese embassy in Belgrade.
Who were born on May 7?
- 1893Frank J. Selke, Canadian ice hockey manager (d. 1985)
- 1931Teresa Brewer, American pop and jazz singer (d. 2007)
- 1940Jim Connors, American radio personality (d. 1987)
- 1956Jan Peter Balkenende, Prime Minister of the Netherlands
- 1961Phil Campbell, British musician (Motörhead)
- 1962Tony Campbell, American basketball player
- 1972Peter Dubovský, Slovak footballer (d. 2000)
- 1976Calvin Booth, American basketball player
- 1989Master Shortie, British hip-hop and R&B singer-songwriter and rapper
- 2000Maxwell Perry Cotton, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.