November 1: Day of the Week
November 1, 2023 was the 305th day of the year 2023 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 60 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AOOOCZGEL? Check your answers here: Words with these letters AOOOCZGEL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
November 1 Historical Event(s)
- 365The Alamanni cross the Rhine and invade Gaul. Emperor Valentinian I moves to Paris to command the army and defend the Gallic cities.
- 1611William Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest is presented for the first time, at Whitehall Palace in London.
- 1683The British crown colony of New York is subdivided into 12 counties.
- 1755Lisbon earthquake: In Portugal, Lisbon is destroyed by a massive earthquake and tsunami, killing between sixty thousand and ninety thousand people.
- 1790Edmund Burke publishes Reflections on the Revolution in France, in which he predicts that the French Revolution will end in a disaster.
- 1859The current Cape Lookout, North Carolina, lighthouse is lit for the first time. Its first-order Fresnel lens can be seen for about 19 miles (30 kilometers), in good conditions.
- 1901Sigma Phi Epsilon, the largest national male collegiate fraternity is established at Richmond College, in Richmond, VA.
- 1916Paul Miliukov delivers in the State Duma the famous “stupidity or treason” speech, precipitating the downfall of the Boris Stürmer government.
- 1942Matanikau Offensive begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign and ends on November 4.
- 1943World War II: In support of the landings on Bougainville, U.S. aircraft carrier forces attack the huge Japanese base at Rabaul.
Who were born on November 1?
- 1889Hannah Höch, German Dada artist (d. 1978)
- 1905Paul-Émile Borduas, Quebec painter (d. 1960)
- 1912Gunther Plaut, German-born Canadian rabbi and writer
- 1924Jean-Luc Pépin, French Canadian politician (d. 1995)
- 1935Gary Player, South African golfer
- 1950Dan Peek, American guitarist (America) (d. 2011)
- 1959Eriko Hara, Japanese voice actress
- 1969Tie Domi, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1973Geoff Horsfield, English footballer
- 1979Coco Crisp, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.