November 1: Day of the Week
November 1, 2018 was the 305th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 60 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the November calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Scorpio is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Topaz is the modern birthstone for this month. Pearl is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Scorpio horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
November 1 Historical Event(s)
- 1755Lisbon earthquake: In Portugal, Lisbon is destroyed by a massive earthquake and tsunami, killing between sixty thousand and ninety thousand people.
- 1814Congress of Vienna opens to re-draw the European political map after the defeat of France, in the Napoleonic Wars.
- 1870In the United States, the Weather Bureau (later renamed the National Weather Service) makes its first official meteorological forecast.
- 1897The first Library of Congress building opened its doors to the public. The Library had been housed in the Congressional Reading Room in the U.S. Capitol.
- 1914World War I: the first British Royal Navy defeat of the war with Germany, the Battle of Coronel, is fought off of the western coast of Chile, in the Pacific, with the loss of HMS Good Hope and HMS Monmouth.
- 1920American Fishing Schooner Esperanto defeats the Canadian Fishing Schooner Delawana in the First International Fishing Schooner Championship Races in Halifax.
- 1941American photographer Ansel Adams takes a picture of a moonrise over the town of Hernandez, New Mexico that would become one of the most famous images in the history of photography.
- 1943World War II: Battle of Empress Augusta Bay, United States Marines, the 3rd Marine Division, land on Bougainville in the Solomon Islands.
- 1955The bombing of United Airlines Flight 629 occurs near Longmont, Colorado, killing all 39 passengers and five crew members aboard the Douglas DC-6B airliner.
- 1973The Indian state of Mysore is renamed as Karnataka to represent all the regions within Karunadu.
Who were born on November 1?
- 1847Emperor Hiep Hoa, the sixth emperor of the Vietnamese Nguyễn Dynasty (d. 1883)
- 1905Paul-Émile Borduas, Quebec painter (d. 1960)
- 1923Gordon R. Dickson, Canadian author (d. 2001)
- 1926Lou Donaldson, American jazz alto saxophonist
- 1930A. R. Gurney, American playwright
- 1936Eddie Colman, English footballer (d. 1958)
- 1950Robert B. Laughlin, American physicist, Nobel Prize laureate
- 1962Sharron Davies, British swimmer
- 1964Daran Norris, American actor
- 1975Scott “Skippy” Chapman, American musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.