October 12: Day of the Week
October 12, 2019 is the 285th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 80 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 12 Historical Event(s)
- 1216King John of England loses his crown jewels in The Wash, probably near Fosdyke, perhaps near Sutton Bridge
- 1793The cornerstone of Old East, the oldest state university building in the United States, is laid on the campus of the University of North Carolina
- 1871Criminal Tribes Act (CTA) enacted by British rule in India, which named over 160 local communities 'Criminal Tribes', i.e. hereditary criminals. Repealed in 1949, after Independence of India.
- 1892The Pledge of Allegiance is first recited by students in many US public schools, as part of a celebration marking the 400th anniversary of Columbus’s voyage.
- 1928An iron lung respirator is used for the first time at Children’s Hospital, Boston
- 1953“The Caine Mutiny Court Martial” opens at Plymouth Theatre, New York
- 1967Vietnam War: US Secretary of State Dean Rusk states during a news conference that proposals by the U.S. Congress for peace initiatives are futile because of North Vietnam’s opposition
- 1968Equatorial Guinea becomes independent from Spain
- 1979The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, the first of five books in the Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy comedy science fiction series by Douglas Adams is published.
- 1986Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh visit the People’s Republic of China
Who were born on October 12?
- 1865Arthur Harden, English chemist, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1940)
- 1942Alprentice “Bunchy” Carter (Black Panther Party) (d. 1969)
- 1950Kaga Takeshi, Japanese actor
- 1955Aggie MacKenzie, Scottish television presenter
- 1962Deborah Foreman, American actress
- 1967Paul Laine Canadian singer/composer
- 1981Sun Tiantian, Chinese tennis player
- 1985Mike Green, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1990Henri Lansbury, English footballer
- 2001Raymond Ochoa, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.