October 13: Day of the Week
October 13, 2021 was the 286th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 79 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UNAXIUIHJ? Check your answers here: Word search UNAXIUIHJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 13 Historical Event(s)
- 1710Port Royal, the capital of French Acadia, falls in a siege by British forces.
- 1885The Georgia Institute of Technology (Georgia Tech) is founded in Atlanta, United States.
- 1915The Battle for the Hohenzollern Redoubt marks the end of the Battle of Loos in northern France, World War I.
- 1921The Soviet republics of Russia, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia sign the Treaty of Kars with the Grand National Assembly of Turkey to establish the contemporary borders between Turkey and the South Caucasus states.
- 1944World War II: Riga, the capital of Latvia is occupied by the Red Army.
- 1962The Pacific Northwest experiences a cyclone the equal of a Cat 3 hurricane. Winds measured above 150 mph at several locations; 46 people died.
- 1967The first game in the history of the American Basketball Association is played as the Anaheim Amigos lose to the Oakland Oaks 134-129 in Oakland, California.
- 1972Uruguayan Air Force Flight 571 crashes in the Andes mountains, near the border between Argentina and Chile. By December 23, 1972, only 16 out of 45 people lived long enough to be rescued.
- 1977Four Palestinians hijack Lufthansa Flight 181 to Somalia and demand release of 11 members of the Red Army Faction.
- 1983Ameritech Mobile Communications (now AT&T) launched the first US cellular network in Chicago, Illinois.
Who were born on October 13?
- 1880Sasha Cherny, Russian poet (d. 1932)
- 1905Coloman Braun-Bogdan, Romanian football player and manager (d. 1983)
- 1915Sir Terry Frost, English artist (d. 2003)
- 1931Eddie Mathews, American baseball player (d. 2001)
- 1935Etterlene DeBarge, gospel singer, songwriter, matriarch of the DeBarge family
- 1938Hugo Young, English journalist (d. 2003)
- 1960Ari Fleischer, American White House press secretary to George W. Bush
- 1969Cady McClain, American actress
- 1979Mamadou Niang, Senegalese footballer
- 1992Aaron Dismuke, American voice actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.