October 18: Day of the Week
October 18, 2021 is the 291st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 74 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ATIJKUNIMWUQ? Check your answers here: Words with these letters ATIJKUNIMWUQ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1016The Danes defeat the Saxons in the Battle of Ashingdon.
- 1648Boston Shoemakers form first U.S. labor organization.
- 1775African-American poet Phillis Wheatley freed from slavery.
- 1867United States takes possession of Alaska after purchasing it from Russia for $7.2 million. Celebrated annually in the state as Alaska Day.
- 1898United States takes possession of Puerto Rico.
- 1912First Balkan War: Peter I of Serbia issues a declaration “To the Serbian People”, as Serbia joins the war.
- 1922The British Broadcasting Company (later Corporation) is founded by a consortium, to establish a nationwide network of radio transmitters to provide a national broadcasting service.
- 1929The Judicial Committee of the Privy Council overrules the Supreme Court of Canada in Edwards v. Canada when it declares that women are considered “Persons” under Canadian law.
- 1968The U.S. Olympic Committee suspends Tommie Smith and John Carlos for giving a “black power” salute during a victory ceremony at the Mexico City games.
- 1991The Supreme Council of Azerbaijan adopts a declaration of independence from the Soviet Union.
Who were born on October 18?
- 1785Thomas Love Peacock, English satirist (d. 1866)
- 1909Norberto Bobbio, Italian philosopher and legal theorist (d. 2004)
- 1919Pierre Elliott Trudeau, Canadian politician (d. 2000)
- 1938Dawn Wells, American actress
- 1954Liz Burch, Australian actress
- 1958Corinne Bohrer, American actress
- 1960Jean-Claude Van Damme, Belgian actor
- 1974Candy Lo, Hong Kong singer-songwriter and actress
- 1982Michael Dingsdag, Dutch footballer
- 1989Joy Lauren, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.