October 18: Day of the Week
October 18, 2020 is the 292nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 74 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Nichiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Samuel’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1081The Normans defeat the Byzantine Empire in the Battle of Dyrrhachium.
- 1648Boston Shoemakers form first U.S. labor organization.
- 1797Treaty of Campo Formio is signed between France and Austria
- 1860The Second Opium War finally ends at the Convention of Peking with the ratification of the Treaty of Tientsin, an unequal treaty.
- 1912First Balkan War: Peter I of Serbia issues a declaration “To the Serbian People”, as Serbia joins the war.
- 1921The Crimean Autonomous Soviet Socialist Republic is formed as part of the RSFSR.
- 1929The Judicial Committee of the Privy Council overrules the Supreme Court of Canada in Edwards v. Canada when it declares that women are considered “Persons” under Canadian law.
- 1944Soviet Union begins liberation of Czechoslovakia.
- 1954Texas Instruments announces the first Transistor radio.
- 1968The U.S. Olympic Committee suspends Tommie Smith and John Carlos for giving a “black power” salute during a victory ceremony at the Mexico City games.
Who were born on October 18?
- 1127Emperor Go-Shirakawa of Japan (d. 1192)
- 1785Thomas Love Peacock, English satirist (d. 1866)
- 1868Ernst Didring, Swedish author (d. 1931)
- 1894H. L. Davis, American author (d. 1960)
- 1902Pascual Jordan, German physicist (d. 1980)
- 1939Lee Harvey Oswald, American alleged assassin of John F. Kennedy (d. 1963)
- 1946James Robert Baker, American novelist, screenwriter
- 1947Job Cohen, Dutch politician
- 1952Patrick Morrow, Canadian mountaineer
- 1954Liz Burch, Australian actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.