October 18: Day of the Week
October 18, 2019 is the 291st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 74 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 18 Historical Event(s)
- 1009The Church of the Holy Sepulchre, a Christian church in Jerusalem, is completely destroyed by the Fatimid caliph Al-Hakim bi-Amr Allah, who hacks the Church’s foundations down to bedrock.
- 1016The Danes defeat the Saxons in the Battle of Ashingdon.
- 1210Pope Innocent III excommunicates German leader Otto IV.
- 1356Basel earthquake, the most significant historic seismological event north of the Alps, destroys the town of Basel, Switzerland.
- 1748Signing of the Treaty of Aix-la-Chapelle ends the War of the Austrian Succession.
- 1851Herman Melville’s Moby-Dick is first published as The Whale by Richard Bentley of London.
- 1945The USSR’s nuclear program receives plans for the United States plutonium bomb from Klaus Fuchs at the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
- 1954Texas Instruments announces the first Transistor radio.
- 1991The Supreme Council of Azerbaijan adopts a declaration of independence from the Soviet Union.
- 2011Gilad Shalit is released.
Who were born on October 18?
- 1706Baldassare Galuppi, Italian composer (d. 1785)
- 1897Isabel Briggs Myers, American psychological theorist (d. 1980)
- 1902Pascual Jordan, German physicist (d. 1980)
- 1931Ien Dales, Dutch politician and mayor (d. 1994)
- 1947Paul Chuckle, British comedian
- 1949Gary Richrath, American musician (REO Speedwagon)
- 1950Om Puri, Indian actor
- 1956Jim Talent, American politician
- 1961Rick Moody, American author
- 1969Volker Neumüller, German music talent manager
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.