October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2020 is the 295th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mercredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Anne’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1392Nanboku-chō: Emperor Go-Kameyama abdicates in favor of rival claimant Go-Komatsu.
- 1512Martin Luther joins the theological faculty of the University of Wittenberg.
- 1520João Álvares Fagundes discovers the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, bestowing them their original name of “Islands of the 11,000 Virgins”.
- 1774First display of the word “Liberty” on a flag, raised by colonists in Taunton, Massachusetts in defiance of British rule in Colonial America.
- 1867Manifest Destiny: Medicine Lodge Treaty – Near Medicine Lodge, Kansas a landmark treaty is signed by southern Great Plains Indian leaders. The treaty requires Native American Plains tribes to relocate a reservation in western Oklahoma.
- 1892Opening ceremonies for the World’s Columbian Exposition are held in Chicago, though because construction was behind schedule, the exposition did not open until May 1, 1893.
- 1902In the United States, a five month strike by United Mine Workers ends.
- 1959In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- 1967Vietnam War: More than 100,000 war protesters gather in Washington, D.C. A peaceful rally at the Lincoln Memorial is followed by a march to The Pentagon and clashes with soldiers and United States Marshals protecting the facility. Similar demonstrations occurred simultaneously in Japan and Western Europe.
- 1987Jaffna hospital massacre is carried out by Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka killing 70 ethnic Tamil patients, doctors and nurses.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1907Nikos Engonopoulos, Greek painter and poet (d. 1985)
- 1921Sena Jurinac, Bosnian operatic soprano (d. 2011)
- 1929Ursula K. Le Guin, American author
- 1942Lou Lamoriello, New Jersey Devils General Manager
- 1943Tariq Ali, Pakistani author and historian
- 1954Brian Tobin, Canadian premier of Newfoundland
- 1968Alexandros Alexandris, Greek footballer
- 1979Gabe Gross, American baseball player
- 1980Kim Kardashian, American socialite, model and reality television star
- 1986Natalee Holloway, American missing person (missing since 2005)
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.