October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2021 is the 294th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UWYADFAIZL? Check your answers here: Unscramble words UWYADFAIZL. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar: A British fleet led by Vice Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain under Admiral Villeneuve. It signals almost the end of French maritime power and leaves Britain’s navy unchallenged until the 20th century.
- 1816The Penang Free School is founded in George Town, Penang, Malaysia, by the Rev Hutchings. It is the oldest English-language school in Southeast Asia.
- 1867Manifest Destiny: Medicine Lodge Treaty – Near Medicine Lodge, Kansas a landmark treaty is signed by southern Great Plains Indian leaders. The treaty requires Native American Plains tribes to relocate a reservation in western Oklahoma.
- 1902In the United States, a five month strike by United Mine Workers ends.
- 1912During the First Balkan War, Kardzhali is liberated by Bulgarian forces
- 1931The Sakurakai, a secret society in the Imperial Japanese Army, launches an abortive coup d'état attempt.
- 1956Kenyan rebel leader Dedan Kimathi is captured by the British Army, signalling the ultimate defeat of the Mau Mau Uprising, and essentially ending the British military campaign.
- 1959In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- 1978Australian civilian pilot Frederick Valentich vanishes in a Cessna 182 over the Bass Strait south of Melbourne, after reporting contact with an unidentified aircraft.
- 1979Moshe Dayan resigns from the Israeli government because of strong disagreements with Prime Minister Menachem Begin over policy towards the Arabs.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1911Mary Blair, American artist and illustrator, best remembered for her Disney work (d. 1978)
- 1931Vivian Pickles, English actress
- 1940Frances FitzGerald, American journalist and author
- 1943Tariq Ali, Pakistani author and historian
- 1949Benjamin Netanyahu, 9th Prime Minister of Israel
- 1949Mike Keenan, Canadian ice hockey coach
- 1956Carrie Fisher, American actress and writer
- 1969Michael Hancock, Australian rugby league footballer
- 1972Evhen Tsybulenko, Ukrainian professor of international law
- 1975Toby Hall, American baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.