October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2019 is the 294th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Arturo’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1600Tokugawa Ieyasu defeats the leaders of rival Japanese clans in the Battle of Sekigahara, which marks the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate that in effect rules Japan until the mid-nineteenth century.
- 1854Florence Nightingale and a staff of 38 nurses are sent to the Crimean War.
- 1945Women’s suffrage: Women are allowed to vote in France for the first time.
- 1956Kenyan rebel leader Dedan Kimathi is captured by the British Army, signalling the ultimate defeat of the Mau Mau Uprising, and essentially ending the British military campaign.
- 1965Comet Ikeya-Seki approaches perihelion, passing 450,000 kilometers from the sun.
- 1966Aberfan disaster: A slag heap collapses on the village of Aberfan in Wales, killing 144 people, mostly schoolchildren.
- 1973Fred Dryer of the then Los Angeles Rams becomes the first player in NFL history to score two safeties in the same game.
- 1973John Paul Getty III’s ear is cut off by his kidnappers and sent to a newspaper in Rome; it doesn't arrive until November 8.
- 1977The European Patent Institute is founded.
- 1983The metre is defined at the seventeenth General Conference on Weights and Measures as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1845Will Carleton, American poet (d. 1912)
- 1907Nikos Engonopoulos, Greek painter and poet (d. 1985)
- 1924Celia Cruz, Cuban singer, Queen of Salsa (d. 2003)
- 1924Joyce Randolph, American actress
- 1948Allen Vigneron, American Catholic Archbishop of Detroit
- 1972Evhen Tsybulenko, Ukrainian professor of international law
- 1976Lavinia Miloşovici, Romanian gymnast
- 1976Mélanie Turgeon, Canadian alpine skier
- 1983Andy Marté, Dominican baseball player
- 1983Shelden Williams, American basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.