October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2019 is the 294th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is lundi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Libra horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1096People’s Crusade: The Turkish army annihilates the People’s Army of the West.
- 1520João Álvares Fagundes discovers the islands of Saint-Pierre and Miquelon, bestowing them their original name of “Islands of the 11,000 Virgins”.
- 1600Tokugawa Ieyasu defeats the leaders of rival Japanese clans in the Battle of Sekigahara, which marks the beginning of the Tokugawa shogunate that in effect rules Japan until the mid-nineteenth century.
- 1861American Civil War: Battle of Ball’s Bluff – Union forces under Colonel Edward Baker are defeated by Confederate troops in the second major battle of the war. Baker, a close friend of Abraham Lincoln, is killed in the fighting.
- 1921President Warren G. Harding delivers the first speech by a sitting President against lynching in the deep south.
- 1959In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- 1966Aberfan disaster: A slag heap collapses on the village of Aberfan in Wales, killing 144 people, mostly schoolchildren.
- 1967Vietnam War: More than 100,000 war protesters gather in Washington, D.C. A peaceful rally at the Lincoln Memorial is followed by a march to The Pentagon and clashes with soldiers and United States Marshals protecting the facility. Similar demonstrations occurred simultaneously in Japan and Western Europe.
- 1969A coup d'état in Somalia brings Siad Barre to power.
- 1971A gas explosion kills 22 people at a shopping centre in Clarkston, East Renfrewshire, near Glasgow, Scotland.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1894Edogawa Rampo, Japanese author and critic (d. 1965)
- 1895Edna Purviance, American actress (d. 1958)
- 1926Leonard Rossiter, English Comedian/Actor (d. 1984)
- 1931Vivian Pickles, English actress
- 1946Jim Hill, American sportscaster
- 1948Allen Vigneron, American Catholic Archbishop of Detroit
- 1949Michel Brière, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 1971)
- 1967Paul Ince, English footballer
- 1983Zack Greinke, American baseball player
- 1984Marvin Mitchell, American football player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.