October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2021 is the 294th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XOIAITICY? Check your answers here: Word solver XOIAITICY. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1209Otto IV is crowned emperor of the Holy Roman Empire by Pope Innocent III.
- 1512Martin Luther joins the theological faculty of the University of Wittenberg.
- 1824Joseph Aspdin patents Portland cement.
- 1867Manifest Destiny: Medicine Lodge Treaty – Near Medicine Lodge, Kansas a landmark treaty is signed by southern Great Plains Indian leaders. The treaty requires Native American Plains tribes to relocate a reservation in western Oklahoma.
- 1921George Melford’s silent film, The Sheik, starring Rudolph Valentino, premiers.
- 1944World War II: The first kamikaze attack: A Japanese plane carrying a 200 kg bomb attacks HMAS Australia off Leyte Island, as the Battle of Leyte Gulf began.
- 1969A coup d'état in Somalia brings Siad Barre to power.
- 1973John Paul Getty III’s ear is cut off by his kidnappers and sent to a newspaper in Rome; it doesn't arrive until November 8.
- 1978Australian civilian pilot Frederick Valentich vanishes in a Cessna 182 over the Bass Strait south of Melbourne, after reporting contact with an unidentified aircraft.
- 2003Images of the dwarf planet Eris are taken and subsequently used in documenting its discovery by the team of Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1775Giuseppe Baini, Italian composer (d. 1844)
- 1927Fritz Wintersteller, Austrian mountaineer who made the first ascent of Broad Peak
- 1949Mike Keenan, Canadian ice hockey coach
- 1952Allen Hoey, American poet and novelist
- 1953Marc Johnson, American jazz bassist, composer and bandleader
- 1970Louis Koo, Hong Kong actor
- 1971Jade Jagger, socialite and jewellery Designer
- 1973Lera Auerbach, Russian composer
- 1983Shelden Williams, American basketball player
- 1990Ricky Rubio, Spanish basketball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.