October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2018 was the 294th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Sunday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is domingo.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Libra horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1097First Crusade: Crusaders led by Godfrey of Bouillon, Bohemund of Taranto, and Raymond IV of Toulouse, begin the Siege of Antioch.
- 1209Otto IV is crowned emperor of the Holy Roman Empire by Pope Innocent III.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar: A British fleet led by Vice Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain under Admiral Villeneuve. It signals almost the end of French maritime power and leaves Britain’s navy unchallenged until the 20th century.
- 1892Opening ceremonies for the World’s Columbian Exposition are held in Chicago, though because construction was behind schedule, the exposition did not open until May 1, 1893.
- 1895The Republic of Formosa collapses as Japanese forces invade.
- 1931The Sakurakai, a secret society in the Imperial Japanese Army, launches an abortive coup d'état attempt.
- 1945Women’s suffrage: Women are allowed to vote in France for the first time.
- 1959In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- 1987Jaffna hospital massacre is carried out by Indian Peace Keeping Force in Sri Lanka killing 70 ethnic Tamil patients, doctors and nurses.
- 1994In Seoul, 32 people are killed when the Seongsu Bridge collapses.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1847Giuseppe Giacosa, Italian writer (d. 1906)
- 1912Sir Georg Solti, Hungarian conductor (d. 1997)
- 1922Liliane Bettencourt, heir to L'Oreal
- 1935Derek Bell, Northern Irish harpist, pianist, oboist, musicologist, and composer(d. 2002)
- 1952Allen Hoey, American poet and novelist
- 1953Marc Johnson, American jazz bassist, composer and bandleader
- 1975Henrique Hilário, Portuguese footballer
- 1975Toby Hall, American baseball player
- 1979Gabe Gross, American baseball player
- 1982Lee Chong Wei, Malaysian badminton player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.