October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2019 was the 294th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Monday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Getsuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Eva’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1520Ferdinand Magellan discovers a strait now known as Strait of Magellan.
- 1774First display of the word “Liberty” on a flag, raised by colonists in Taunton, Massachusetts in defiance of British rule in Colonial America.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar: A British fleet led by Vice Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain under Admiral Villeneuve. It signals almost the end of French maritime power and leaves Britain’s navy unchallenged until the 20th century.
- 1912During the First Balkan War, Kardzhali is liberated by Bulgarian forces
- 1921President Warren G. Harding delivers the first speech by a sitting President against lynching in the deep south.
- 1959In New York City, the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, opens to the public.
- 1979Moshe Dayan resigns from the Israeli government because of strong disagreements with Prime Minister Menachem Begin over policy towards the Arabs.
- 1994In Seoul, 32 people are killed when the Seongsu Bridge collapses.
- 1994North Korea nuclear weapons program: North Korea and the United States sign an agreement that requires North Korea to stop its nuclear weapons program and agree to inspections.
- 2003Images of the dwarf planet Eris are taken and subsequently used in documenting its discovery by the team of Michael E. Brown, Chad Trujillo, and David L. Rabinowitz.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1527Louis I, Cardinal of Guise, French cardinal (d. 1578)
- 1775Giuseppe Baini, Italian composer (d. 1844)
- 1886Eugene Burton Ely, American aviation pioneer (d. 1911)
- 1922Liliane Bettencourt, heir to L'Oreal
- 1938Carl Brewer, Canadian ice hockey player (d. 2001)
- 1943Tariq Ali, Pakistani author and historian
- 1950Ronald McNair, American astronaut (d. 1986)
- 1953Charlotte Caffey, American musician (The Go-Go’s)
- 1976Jeremy Miller, American actor
- 1982Lee Chong Wei, Malaysian badminton player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.