October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2019 is the 294th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Monday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is lunes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1520Ferdinand Magellan discovers a strait now known as Strait of Magellan.
- 1797In Boston Harbor, the 44-gun United States Navy frigate USS Constitution is launched.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar: A British fleet led by Vice Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain under Admiral Villeneuve. It signals almost the end of French maritime power and leaves Britain’s navy unchallenged until the 20th century.
- 1895The Republic of Formosa collapses as Japanese forces invade.
- 1912During the First Balkan War, Kardzhali is liberated by Bulgarian forces
- 1921President Warren G. Harding delivers the first speech by a sitting President against lynching in the deep south.
- 1959President Dwight D. Eisenhower signs an executive order transferring Wernher von Braun and other German scientists from the United States Army to NASA.
- 1973Fred Dryer of the then Los Angeles Rams becomes the first player in NFL history to score two safeties in the same game.
- 1977The European Patent Institute is founded.
- 1983The metre is defined at the seventeenth General Conference on Weights and Measures as the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 of a second.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1790Alphonse de Lamartine, French writer (d. 1869)
- 1912Alfredo Pián, Argentine racing driver (d. 1990)
- 1953Peter Mandelson, British politician
- 1957Julian Cope, English musician and writer
- 1967Paul Ince, English footballer
- 1968Melora Walters, American actress
- 1971Conor O'Shea, Irish rugby player
- 1971Nick Oliveri, American musician
- 1975Toby Hall, American baseball player
- 1978Will Estes, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.