October 21: Day of the Week
October 21, 2020 was the 295th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 71 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters MVSISIE? Check your answers here: Unscramble words MVSISIE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 21 Historical Event(s)
- 1096People’s Crusade: The Turkish army annihilates the People’s Army of the West.
- 1797In Boston Harbor, the 44-gun United States Navy frigate USS Constitution is launched.
- 1805Napoleonic Wars: Battle of Trafalgar: A British fleet led by Vice Admiral Lord Nelson defeats a combined French and Spanish fleet off the coast of Spain under Admiral Villeneuve. It signals almost the end of French maritime power and leaves Britain’s navy unchallenged until the 20th century.
- 1892Opening ceremonies for the World’s Columbian Exposition are held in Chicago, though because construction was behind schedule, the exposition did not open until May 1, 1893.
- 1902In the United States, a five month strike by United Mine Workers ends.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Aachen: The city of Aachen falls to American forces after three weeks of fighting, making it the first German city to fall to the Allies.
- 1969A coup d'état in Somalia brings Siad Barre to power.
- 1979Moshe Dayan resigns from the Israeli government because of strong disagreements with Prime Minister Menachem Begin over policy towards the Arabs.
- 1986In Lebanon, pro-Iranian kidnappers claim to have abducted American writer Edward Tracy (he is released in August 1991).
- 1994North Korea nuclear weapons program: North Korea and the United States sign an agreement that requires North Korea to stop its nuclear weapons program and agree to inspections.
Who were born on October 21?
- 1687Nicolaus I Bernoulli, Swiss mathematician (d. 1759)
- 1762Herman Willem Daendels, Dutch statesman (d. 1818)
- 1924Joyce Randolph, American actress
- 1946Jim Hill, American sportscaster
- 1955Rich Mullins, American musician (d. 1997)
- 1957Julian Cope, English musician and writer
- 1968Kerstin Andreae, German politician
- 1971Conor O'Shea, Irish rugby player
- 1971Nick Oliveri, American musician
- 1984Anouk Leblanc-Boucher, Canadian speed skater
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.