October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2020 is the 296th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Mokuyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Gregory’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1746The College of New Jersey (later renamed Princeton University) receives its charter.
- 1879Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
- 1910Dr. Crippen is convicted at the Old Bailey of poisoning his wife and is subsequently hanged at Pentonville Prison in London.
- 1926J. Gordon Whitehead sucker punches magician Harry Houdini in the stomach in Montreal.
- 1963A BAC One-Eleven prototype airliner crashes in UK with the loss of all on board.
- 1966The Soviet Union launches Luna 12.
- 1968Apollo program: Apollo 7 safely splashes down in the Atlantic Ocean after orbiting the Earth 163 times.
- 1983Two correctional officers are killed by inmates at the United States Penitentiary in Marion, Illinois. The incident inspires the Supermax model of prisons.
- 2006A Panama Canal expansion proposal is approved by 77.8% of voters in a National referendum held in Panama.
- 2007Raid on Anuradhapura Air Force Base is carried out by 21 Tamil Tiger commandos. All except one died in this attack. Eight Sri Lankan Air Force planes are destroyed and 10 damaged.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1844Sarah Bernhardt, French Actress (d. 1923)
- 1870Ivan Bunin, Russian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1953)
- 1896Charles Glen King, American biochemist (d. 1988)
- 1912George N. Leighton, American jurist
- 1921Alexander Kronrod, Russian mathematician (d. 1986)
- 1923Bert Trautmann, German former footballer
- 1963Brian Boitano, American figure skater
- 1969Helmut Lotti, Belgian singer
- 1978Chaswe Nsofwa, Zambian footballer (d. 2007)
- 1992Sofia Vassilieva, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.