October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2019 is the 295th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 794Emperor Kanmu relocates the Japanese capital to Heiankyo (now Kyoto).
- 1844The Great Anticipation: Millerites, followers of William Miller, anticipate the end of the world in conjunction with the Second Advent of Christ. The following day became known as the Great Disappointment.
- 1895In Paris an express train overruns a buffer stop and crosses more than 30 metres of concourse before plummeting through a window at Gare Montparnasse.
- 1943World War II: in the Second firestorm raid on Germany, the Royal Air Force conducts an air raid on the town of Kassel, killing 10,000 and rendering 150,000 homeless.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy, after internal counsel from Dwight D. Eisenhower, announces that American reconnaissance planes have discovered Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba, and that he has ordered a naval “quarantine” of the Communist nation.
- 1964Canada: A Multi-Party Parliamentary Committee selects the design which becomes the new official Flag of Canada.
- 1976Red Dye No. 4 is banned by the US Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada.
- 2005Tropical Storm Alpha forms in the Atlantic Basin, making the 2005 Atlantic Hurricane Season the most active Atlantic hurricane season on record with 22 named storms.
- 2006A Panama Canal expansion proposal is approved by 77.8% of voters in a National referendum held in Panama.
- 2008India launches its first unmanned lunar mission Chandrayaan-1.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1844Louis Riel, Canadian Metis Political Leader (d. 1885)
- 1844Sarah Bernhardt, French Actress (d. 1923)
- 1858German Empress Augusta Victoria, wife of German Emperor Wilhelm II (d. 1921)
- 1865Kristjan Raud, Estonian painter (d. 1943)
- 1870Alfred Douglas, English partner of Oscar Wilde (d. 1945)
- 1870Ivan Bunin, Russian writer, Nobel Prize laureate (d. 1953)
- 1903George Wells Beadle, American geneticist, Nobel laureate (d. 1989)
- 1936Bobby Seale, American civil rights activist
- 1939Joaquim Chissano, former (2nd) President of Mozambique
- 1968Shaggy, Jamaican musician
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.