October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2020 is the 296th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters AIQCPNAFIGSO? Check your answers here: Words with these letters AIQCPNAFIGSO. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1383The 1383-1385 Crisis in Portugal: King Fernando dies without a male heir to the Portuguese throne, sparking a period of civil war and disorder.
- 1746The College of New Jersey (later renamed Princeton University) receives its charter.
- 1797One thousand meters (3,200 feet) above Paris, André-Jacques Garnerin makes the first recorded parachute jump.
- 1875First telegraphic connection in Argentina.
- 1879Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
- 1907Panic of 1907: A run on the stock of the Knickerbocker Trust Company sets events in motion that will lead to a depression.
- 1934In East Liverpool, Ohio, Federal Bureau of Investigation agents shoot and kill notorious bank robber Pretty Boy Floyd.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy, after internal counsel from Dwight D. Eisenhower, announces that American reconnaissance planes have discovered Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba, and that he has ordered a naval “quarantine” of the Communist nation.
- 1981The United States Federal Labor Relations Authority votes to decertify the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization for its strike the previous August.
- 2008India launches its first unmanned lunar mission Chandrayaan-1.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1858German Empress Augusta Victoria, wife of German Emperor Wilhelm II (d. 1921)
- 1913Tamara Desni, German-born British actress (d. 2008)
- 1922Juan Carlos Lorenzo, Argentine footballer (d. 2001)
- 1923Bert Trautmann, German former footballer
- 1929Lev Yashin, Soviet footballer (d. 1990)
- 1945Leslie West, American musician
- 1945Yvan Ponton, Canadian actor and television host
- 1969Helmut Lotti, Belgian singer
- 1971Kornel David, Hungarian basketball player
- 1985Evagelia Aravani, Greek fashion model
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.