October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2019 is the 295th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1383The 1383-1385 Crisis in Portugal: King Fernando dies without a male heir to the Portuguese throne, sparking a period of civil war and disorder.
- 1633Battle of southern Fujian sea: The Ming dynasty defeats the Dutch East India Company.
- 1859Spain declares war on Morocco.
- 1866A plebiscite ratifies the annexion of Veneto and Mantua to Italy, occurred three days before, on October 19.
- 1879Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
- 1910Dr. Crippen is convicted at the Old Bailey of poisoning his wife and is subsequently hanged at Pentonville Prison in London.
- 1928Phi Sigma Alpha fraternity is founded at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras Campus.
- 1934In East Liverpool, Ohio, Federal Bureau of Investigation agents shoot and kill notorious bank robber Pretty Boy Floyd.
- 1962Cuban Missile Crisis: US President John F. Kennedy, after internal counsel from Dwight D. Eisenhower, announces that American reconnaissance planes have discovered Soviet nuclear weapons in Cuba, and that he has ordered a naval “quarantine” of the Communist nation.
- 1972Vietnam War: In Saigon, Henry Kissinger and South Vietnamese President Nguyen Van Thieu meet to discuss a proposed cease-fire that had been worked out between Americans and North Vietnamese in Paris.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1701Maria Amalia of Austria, Holy Roman Empire Empress (d. 1756)
- 1870Alfred Douglas, English partner of Oscar Wilde (d. 1945)
- 1913Robert Capa, American war photographer (born in Hungary) (d. 1954)
- 1933Helmut Senekowitsch, Austrian footballer (d. 2007)
- 1937Manos Loïzos, Greek composer (d. 1982)
- 1938Timos Perlegas, Greek actor (d. 1993)
- 1969Helmut Lotti, Belgian singer
- 1973Ichiro Suzuki, Japanese baseball player
- 1975Jesse Tyler Ferguson, American actor
- 1978Owais Shah, English cricketer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.