October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2020 is the 296th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Jace’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1707Scilly naval disaster: four British Royal Navy ships run aground near the Isles of Scilly because of faulty navigation. Admiral Sir Cloudesley Shovell and thousands of sailors drown.
- 1730Construction of the Ladoga Canal is completed.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American defenders of Fort Mercer on the Delaware River repulse repeated Hessian attacks in the Battle of Red Bank.
- 1927Nikola Tesla exposed his six (6) new inventions including motor with onephase electricity
- 1957Vietnam War: First United States casualties in Vietnam.
- 1963A BAC One-Eleven prototype airliner crashes in UK with the loss of all on board.
- 1964Canada: A Multi-Party Parliamentary Committee selects the design which becomes the new official Flag of Canada.
- 1976Red Dye No. 4 is banned by the US Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada.
- 1981The United States Federal Labor Relations Authority votes to decertify the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization for its strike the previous August.
- 2006A Panama Canal expansion proposal is approved by 77.8% of voters in a National referendum held in Panama.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1558Jacques Sirmond, French scholar and Jesuit (d. 1651)
- 1689King John V of Portugal (d. 1750)
- 1873Gustaf John Ramstedt, Finland-Swedish linguist and diplomat (d. 1950)
- 1903Curly Howard, American actor and comedian, member of the Three Stooges (d. 1952)
- 1913Hans-Peter Tschudi, Swiss Federal Councilor (d. 2002)
- 1922Juan Carlos Lorenzo, Argentine footballer (d. 2001)
- 1945Sheila Sherwood, British long jumper
- 1949Stiv Bators, American musician (The Dead Boys) (d. 1990)
- 1969Helmut Lotti, Belgian singer
- 1975Martín Cardetti, Argentine footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.