October 22: Day of the Week
October 22, 2021 is the 295th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 70 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters TAIUZECYAT? Check your answers here: Word solver TAIUZECYAT. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 22 Historical Event(s)
- 1383The 1383-1385 Crisis in Portugal: King Fernando dies without a male heir to the Portuguese throne, sparking a period of civil war and disorder.
- 1777American Revolutionary War: American defenders of Fort Mercer on the Delaware River repulse repeated Hessian attacks in the Battle of Red Bank.
- 1878The first rugby match under floodlights takes place in Salford, between Broughton and Swinton.
- 1879Using a filament of carbonized thread, Thomas Edison tests the first practical electric incandescent light bulb (it lasted 13½ hours before burning out).
- 1895In Paris an express train overruns a buffer stop and crosses more than 30 metres of concourse before plummeting through a window at Gare Montparnasse.
- 1964Jean-Paul Sartre is awarded the Nobel Prize for Literature, but turns down the honor.
- 1968Apollo program: Apollo 7 safely splashes down in the Atlantic Ocean after orbiting the Earth 163 times.
- 1976Red Dye No. 4 is banned by the US Food and Drug Administration after it is discovered that it causes tumors in the bladders of dogs. The dye is still used in Canada.
- 1981The United States Federal Labor Relations Authority votes to decertify the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Organization for its strike the previous August.
- 2006A Panama Canal expansion proposal is approved by 77.8% of voters in a National referendum held in Panama.
Who were born on October 22?
- 1734Daniel Boone, American pioneer and hunter (d. 1820)
- 1891Parker Fennelly, American comedian and actor (d. 1988)
- 1906Kees van Baaren, Dutch composer (d. 1970)
- 1912George N. Leighton, American jurist
- 1936Col. John Blashford-Snell, British explorer and author
- 1968Stéphane Quintal, Canadian ice hockey player
- 1975Míchel Salgado, Spanish footballer
- 1976Helen Svedin, Swedish model
- 1978Owais Shah, English cricketer
- 1982Robinson Canó, Dominican baseball player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.