October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2019 is the 296th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 42 BCRoman Republican civil wars: Second Battle of Philippi – Mark Antony and Octavian decisively defeat Brutus’s army. Brutus commits suicide.
- 1641Outbreak of the Irish Rebellion of 1641.
- 1642Battle of Edgehill: First major battle of the First English Civil War.
- 1694British/American colonial forces, led by Sir William Phipps, fail to seize Quebec from the French.
- 1707The first Parliament of Great Britain meets.
- 1739War of Jenkins’ Ear starts: British Prime Minister, Robert Walpole, reluctantly declares war on Spain.
- 1941Walt Disney’s animated film Dumbo is released.
- 1941World War II: Field Marshal Georgy Zhukov takes command of Red Army operations to prevent the further advance into Russia of German forces and to prevent the Wehrmacht from capturing Moscow.
- 1958The Smurfs, a fictional race of blue dwarves, later popularized in a Hanna-Barbera animated cartoon series, appear for the first time in the story La flute à six schtroumpfs, a Johan and Peewit adventure by Peyo which is serialized in the weekly comics magazine Spirou.
- 1989The Hungarian Republic is officially declared by president Mátyás Szűrös, replacing the communist Hungarian People’s Republic.
Who were born on October 23?
- 1503Isabella of Portugal, queen of Spain and empress of Germany (d. 1539)
- 1516Charlotte de Valois, princess of France (d. 1524)
- 1771Jean-Andoche Junot, French general (d. 1813)
- 1815João Maurício Wanderley, Brazilian magistrate and politician (d. 1889)
- 1880Una O'Connor, Irish actress (d. 1959)
- 1905Gertrude Ederle, American swimmer (d. 2003)
- 1918James Daly, American actor (d. 1978)
- 1925Manos Hadjidakis, Greek composer (d. 1994)
- 1966Alex Zanardi, Italian race car driver
- 1986Jessica Stroup, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.