October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2020 was the 297th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ITSYPEHA? Check your answers here: Words with these letters ITSYPEHA. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1861U.S. President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C., for all military-related cases.
- 186772 Senators are summoned by Royal Proclamation to serve as the first members of the Canadian Senate.
- 1917Lenin calls for the October Revolution.
- 1956Thousands of Hungarians protest against the government and Soviet occupation. (The Hungarian Revolution is crushed on November 4).
- 1972Operation Linebacker, a US bombing campaign against North Vietnam in response to its Easter Offensive, ends after five months.
- 1989Phillips Disaster in Pasadena, Texas kills 23 and injures 314.
- 1998Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Chairman Yasser Arafat reach a “land for peace” agreement.
- 2002Moscow Theatre Siege begins: Chechen terrorists seize the House of Culture theater in Moscow and take approximately 700 theater-goers hostage.
- 2004A powerful earthquake and its aftershocks hit Niigata prefecture, northern Japan, killing 35 people, injuring 2,200, and leaving 85,000 homeless or evacuated.
- 2007A powerful cold front in the Bay of Campeche causes the Usumacinta Jackup rig to collide with Kab 101, leading to the death and drowning of 22 people during rescue operations after evacuation of the rig.
Who were born on October 23?
- 1516Charlotte de Valois, princess of France (d. 1524)
- 1813Ludwig Leichhardt, German explorer (d. 1848)
- 1844Robert Bridges, English poet (d. 1930)
- 1910Richard Mortensen, Danish painter (d. 1993)
- 1925Johnny Carson, American television host (d. 2005)
- 1942Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop (d. 2007)
- 1949Michael ‘Wurzel’Burston, British musician (Motörhead)
- 1976Ryan Reynolds, Canadian actor
- 1980Pedro Liriano, Dominican baseball player
- 1991Princess Mako of Akishino of Japan
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.