October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2020 is the 297th day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is vendredi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Alyssa’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 42 BCRoman Republican civil wars: Second Battle of Philippi – Mark Antony and Octavian decisively defeat Brutus’s army. Brutus commits suicide.
- 425Valentinian III is elevated as Roman Emperor, at the age of 6.
- 1157The Battle of Grathe Heath ends the civil war in Denmark. King Sweyn III is killed and Valdemar I restores the country.
- 1694British/American colonial forces, led by Sir William Phipps, fail to seize Quebec from the French.
- 1812Claude François de Malet, a French general, begins a conspiracy to overthrow Napoleon Bonaparte, claiming that the Emperor died in Russia and that he is now the commandant of Paris.
- 1917Lenin calls for the October Revolution.
- 1929The first North American transcontinental air service begins between New York City and Los Angeles, California.
- 1973A United Nations sanctioned cease-fire officially ends the Yom Kippur War between Israel and Syria.
- 1989The Hungarian Republic is officially declared by president Mátyás Szűrös, replacing the communist Hungarian People’s Republic.
- 2002Moscow Theatre Siege begins: Chechen terrorists seize the House of Culture theater in Moscow and take approximately 700 theater-goers hostage.
Who were born on October 23?
- 1796Stefano Franscini, Swiss Federal Councilor (d. 1857)
- 1813Ludwig Leichhardt, German explorer (d. 1848)
- 1904Harvey Penick, American golfer (d. 1995)
- 1923Aslam Farrukhi, Pakistani scholar and poet
- 1935Juan “Chi-Chi” Rodríguez, Puerto Rican golfer
- 1942Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop (d. 2007)
- 1942Bernd Erdmann, German football player and manager
- 1967Dale Crover, American musician (Melvins, The Men of Porn, Altamont)
- 1971Carlo Forlivesi, Italian composer
- 1975Michelle Beadle, American television personality
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.