October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2021 is the 296th day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters PNIUHWKPUGU? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters PNIUHWKPUGU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 502The Synodus Palmaris, called by Gothic king Theodoric the Great, discharges Pope Symmachus of all charges, thus ending the schism of Antipope Laurentius.
- 1707The first Parliament of Great Britain meets.
- 1812Claude François de Malet, a French general, begins a conspiracy to overthrow Napoleon Bonaparte, claiming that the Emperor died in Russia and that he is now the commandant of Paris.
- 1870Franco-Prussian War: the Siege of Metz concludes with a decisive Prussian victory.
- 1929Great Depression: After a steady decline in stock market prices since a peak in September, the New York Stock Exchange begins to show signs of panic.
- 1941World War II: Field Marshal Georgy Zhukov takes command of Red Army operations to prevent the further advance into Russia of German forces and to prevent the Wehrmacht from capturing Moscow.
- 1942World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein: – At El Alamein in northern Egypt, the British Eighth Army under Field Marshal Montgomery begins a critical offensive to expel the Axis armies from Egypt.
- 1956Thousands of Hungarians protest against the government and Soviet occupation. (The Hungarian Revolution is crushed on November 4).
- 1958The Smurfs, a fictional race of blue dwarves, later popularized in a Hanna-Barbera animated cartoon series, appear for the first time in the story La flute à six schtroumpfs, a Johan and Peewit adventure by Peyo which is serialized in the weekly comics magazine Spirou.
- 1973A United Nations sanctioned cease-fire officially ends the Yom Kippur War between Israel and Syria.
Who were born on October 23?
- 1516Charlotte de Valois, princess of France (d. 1524)
- 1869John Heisman, American football player and coach (d. 1936)
- 1893Gummo Marx, American actor (d. 1977)
- 1928Bella Darvi, Polish-born French actress (d. 1971)
- 1954Ang Lee, Taiwanese-born director
- 1961Andoni Zubizarreta, Spanish footballer
- 1964Robert Trujillo, American bassist (Metallica)
- 1971Christopher Horner, American cyclist
- 1975Michelle Beadle, American television personality
- 1982Aleksandar Luković, Serbian footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.