October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2018 is the 296th day of the year 2018 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is mardi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Hmmm... do you believe that self understanding is the key to happiness? Don’t just wish upon the stars. The time you were born has a great impact on who you are. Get your Libra horoscope and get a boost from the stars. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 1086At the Battle of az-Zallaqah, the army of Yusuf ibn Tashfin defeats the forces of Castilian King Alfonso VI.
- 1295The first treaty forming the Auld Alliance between Scotland and France against England is signed in Paris.
- 1642Battle of Edgehill: First major battle of the First English Civil War.
- 1850The first National Women’s Rights Convention begins in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States.
- 1861U.S. President Abraham Lincoln suspends the writ of habeas corpus in Washington, D.C., for all military-related cases.
- 1944World War II: Battle of Leyte Gulf – The largest naval battle in history begins in the Philippines.
- 1972Operation Linebacker, a US bombing campaign against North Vietnam in response to its Easter Offensive, ends after five months.
- 1992Emperor Akihito becomes the first Emperor of Japan to stand on Chinese soil.
- 2004A powerful earthquake and its aftershocks hit Niigata prefecture, northern Japan, killing 35 people, injuring 2,200, and leaving 85,000 homeless or evacuated.
- 2007A powerful cold front in the Bay of Campeche causes the Usumacinta Jackup rig to collide with Kab 101, leading to the death and drowning of 22 people during rescue operations after evacuation of the rig.
Who were born on October 23?
- 1801Albert Lortzing, German composer (d. 1851)
- 1870Francis Kelley, Catholic Bishop of Oklahoma (d. 1948)
- 1876Franz Schlegelberger, German judge and politician (d. 1970)
- 1888Onésime Gagnon, Canadian politician (d. 1961)
- 1922Coleen Gray, American actress
- 1927Sonny Criss, American alto saxophonist (d. 1977)
- 1942Anita Roddick, founder of The Body Shop (d. 2007)
- 1960Wayne Rainey, American motorcyclist
- 1977Brad Haddin, Australian cricket player
- 1984Meghan McCain, American author and daughter of John McCain
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.