October 23: Day of the Week
October 23, 2019 is the 296th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 69 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Wednesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Suiyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 23 Historical Event(s)
- 42 BCRoman Republican civil wars: Second Battle of Philippi – Mark Antony and Octavian decisively defeat Brutus’s army. Brutus commits suicide.
- 425Valentinian III is elevated as Roman Emperor, at the age of 6.
- 502The Synodus Palmaris, called by Gothic king Theodoric the Great, discharges Pope Symmachus of all charges, thus ending the schism of Antipope Laurentius.
- 1642Battle of Edgehill: First major battle of the First English Civil War.
- 1739War of Jenkins’ Ear starts: British Prime Minister, Robert Walpole, reluctantly declares war on Spain.
- 1850The first National Women’s Rights Convention begins in Worcester, Massachusetts, United States.
- 1912First Balkan War: The Battle of Kumanovo between the Serbian and Ottoman armies begins.
- 1942World War II: The Battle for Henderson Field begins during the Guadalcanal Campaign and ends on October 26.
- 1946The United Nations General Assembly convenes for the first time, at an auditorium in Flushing, Queens, New York City.
- 1956Thousands of Hungarians protest against the government and Soviet occupation. (The Hungarian Revolution is crushed on November 4).
Who were born on October 23?
- 1893Gummo Marx, American actor (d. 1977)
- 1894Rube Bressler, baseball player (d. 1966)
- 1905Gertrude Ederle, American swimmer (d. 2003)
- 1927Leszek Kołakowski, Polish philosopher (d. 2009)
- 1931Jim Bunning, American baseball player and politician
- 1935Juan “Chi-Chi” Rodríguez, Puerto Rican golfer
- 1959Sam Raimi, American film director
- 1978Steve Harmison, English cricketer
- 1981Shoo, South Korean singer and actress
- 1986Jessica Stroup, American actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.