October 6: Day of the Week
October 6, 2019 is the 279th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 86 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Sunday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is dimanche.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 6 Historical Event(s)
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar, this day is skipped in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1600Jacopo Peri’s Euridice, the earliest surviving opera, receives its première performance in Florence, signifying the beginning of the Baroque Period
- 1889Thomas Edison shows his first motion picture.
- 1898Ossian Everett Mills founds Phi Mu Alpha Sinfonia in Boston, Massachusetts.
- 1903The High Court of Australia sat for the first time.
- 1927Opening of The Jazz Singer, the first prominent talking movie.
- 1973Egypt launches a coordinated attack with Syria against Israel leading to the Yom Kippur War.
- 1976Massacre of students gathering at Thammasat University in Bangkok, Thailand to protest the return of ex-dictator Thanom, by a coalition of right-wing paramilitary and government forces, triggering the return of the military to government.
- 1979Pope John Paul II becomes the first pontiff to visit the White House.
- 2000Yugoslav president Slobodan Milošević resigns.
Who were born on October 6?
- 1510John Caius, English physician (d. 1573)
- 1921Joseph Lowery, American Civil rights movement leader
- 1946Lloyd Doggett, American politician and Member of the United States House of Representatives from Texas
- 1947Patxi Andión, Spanish singer-songwriter
- 1953Klaas Bruinsma, Dutch drug lord (d. 1991)
- 1964Ricky Berry, American basketball player (d. 1989)
- 1966Niall Quinn, Irish footballer
- 1967Svend Karlsen, Norwegian strongman
- 1971Alan Stubbs, English footballer
- 1982Levon Aronian, Armenian chess Grandmaster
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.