October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2022 was the 281st day of the year 2022 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is sábado.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EPDHGBESOF? Check your answers here: Word solver EPDHGBESOF. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 451At Chalcedon, a city of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the first session of the Council of Chalcedon begins (ends on November 1).
- 1200Isabella of Angoulême is crowned Queen consort of England.
- 1573End of the Spanish siege of Alkmaar, the first Dutch victory in Eighty Years War.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Perryville – Union forces under General Don Carlos Buell halt the Confederate invasion of Kentucky by defeating troops led by General Braxton Bragg at Perryville, Kentucky.
- 1967Guerrilla leader Che Guevara and his men are captured in Bolivia.
- 1969The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1973Greek military junta of 1967–1974: Junta strongman George Papadopoulos appoints Spyros Markezinis as Prime Minister of Greece with the task to lead Greece to parliamentary rule.
- 1974Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
- 1998Oslo’s Gardermoen airport opens after the close down of Fornebu airport.
- 20052005 Kashmir earthquake: Thousands of people are killed by a magnitude 7.6 earthquake in parts of Pakistan, India and Afghanistan.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1890Edward Rickenbacker, American fighter pilot and airline executive (d. 1973)
- 1910Paulette Dubost, French actress (d. 2011)
- 1929Valdir Pereira, Brazilian footballer (d. 2001)
- 1938Fred Stolle, Australian tennis player
- 1947Emiel Puttemans, Belgian athlete
- 1952Takis Koroneos, Greek basketball player and coach
- 1977Erna Siikavirta, Finnish musician (Lordi)
- 1983Mario Cassano, Italian footballer
- 1985Bruno Mars, American singer-songwriter
- 1985Eiji Wentz, Japanese entertainer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.