October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2021 is the 281st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters LBKZIQGOE? Check your answers here: Word solver LBKZIQGOE. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1075Dmitar Zvonimir is crowned King of Croatia.
- 1829Rail transport: Stephenson’s The Rocket wins The Rainhill Trials.
- 1860Telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens.
- 1862American Civil War: Battle of Perryville – Union forces under General Don Carlos Buell halt the Confederate invasion of Kentucky by defeating troops led by General Braxton Bragg at Perryville, Kentucky.
- 1921KDKA in Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
- 1941World War II: In their invasion of the Soviet Union, Germany reaches the Sea of Azov with the capture of Mariupol.
- 1968Vietnam War: Operation Sealords – United States and South Vietnamese forces launch a new operation in the Mekong Delta.
- 1969The opening rally of the Days of Rage occurs, organized by the Weather Underground in Chicago, Illinois.
- 1978Australia’s Ken Warby sets the current world water speed record of 317.60mph at Blowering Dam, Australia.
- 1990Israeli-Palestinian Conflict: In Jerusalem, Israeli police kill 17 Palestinians and wound over 100 near the Dome of the Rock mosque on the Temple Mount.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1585Heinrich Schütz, German composer (d. 1672)
- 1883Otto Heinrich Warburg, German physician, Nobel laureate (d. 1970)
- 1910Kirk Alyn, American actor (d. 1999)
- 1917Walter Lord, American author (d. 2002)
- 1922Nils Liedholm, Swedish footballer and coach (d. 2007)
- 1944Ed Kirkpatrick, American baseball player (d. 2010)
- 1947Stephen Shore, American photographer
- 1948Johnny Ramone, American musician (The Ramones) (d. 2004)
- 1950Robert Kool Bell, American musician (Kool & the Gang)
- 1970Tetsuya Nomura, Japanese video-game designer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.