October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2020 was the 282nd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is jeudi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters XIHWNGPMAI? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters XIHWNGPMAI. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1573End of the Spanish siege of Alkmaar, the first Dutch victory in Eighty Years War.
- 1806Napoleonic Wars: Forces of the British Empire lay siege to the port of Boulogne in France by using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve.
- 1904Edmonton, Alberta was incorporated as a city.
- 1904Prince Albert, Saskatchewan was incorporated as a city.
- 1918World War I: In the Argonne Forest in France, United States Corporal Alvin C. York kills 25 German soldiers and captures 132.
- 1939World War II: Germany annexes Western Poland.
- 1962Spiegel scandal: Der Spiegel publishes the article “Bedingt abwehrbereit” (“Conditionally prepared for defense”) about a NATO manoeuver called “Fallex 62”, which uncovered the sorry state of the Bundeswehr (Germany’s army) facing the communist threat from the east at the time. The magazine is soon accused of treason.
- 1968Vietnam War: Operation Sealords – United States and South Vietnamese forces launch a new operation in the Mekong Delta.
- 1973Greek military junta of 1967–1974: Junta strongman George Papadopoulos appoints Spyros Markezinis as Prime Minister of Greece with the task to lead Greece to parliamentary rule.
- 2001A twin engine Cessna and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) jetliner collide in heavy fog during takeoff from Milan, Italy killing 118.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1765Harman Blennerhassett, Irish lawyer (d. 1831)
- 1884Walther von Reichenau, German military officer (d. 1942)
- 1889C. E. Woolman, American airline founder (d. 1966)
- 1895King Zog I of Albania (d. 1961)
- 1917Walter Lord, American author (d. 2002)
- 1948Pedro López, Colombian serial killer
- 1950Robert Kool Bell, American musician (Kool & the Gang)
- 1956Stephanie Zimbalist, American actress
- 1966Karyn Parsons, American actress
- 1976Galo Blanco, Spanish tennis player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.