October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2019 is the 281st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out your name’s personality! (Sponsored link)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1200Isabella of Angoulême is crowned Queen consort of England.
- 1582Because of the implementation of the Gregorian calendar this day does not exist in this year in Italy, Poland, Portugal and Spain.
- 1806Napoleonic Wars: Forces of the British Empire lay siege to the port of Boulogne in France by using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve.
- 1813The Treaty of Ried is signed between Bayern and Austria.
- 1856The Second Opium War between several western powers and China begins with the Arrow Incident on the Pearl River.
- 1970Vietnam War: In Paris, a Communist delegation rejects US President Richard Nixon’s October 7 peace proposal as “a maneuver to deceive world opinion”.
- 1974Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
- 1982Poland bans Solidarity and all trade unions.
- 1998Oslo’s Gardermoen airport opens after the close down of Fornebu airport.
- 2001A twin engine Cessna and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) jetliner collide in heavy fog during takeoff from Milan, Italy killing 118.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1676Benito Jerónimo Feijóo y Montenegro, Spanish scholar (d. 1764)
- 1850Henri Louis le Chatelier, French chemist (d. 1936)
- 1883Otto Heinrich Warburg, German physician, Nobel laureate (d. 1970)
- 1944Susan Raye, American singer
- 1959Mike Morgan, American baseball player
- 1960Ralf Minge, German footballer
- 1960Reed Hastings, American businessman and entrepreneur
- 1969Julia Ann, American pornographic actress
- 1974Koji Murofushi, Japanese hammer thrower
- 1976Renate Groenewold, Dutch speed skater
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.