October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2019 was the 281st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Mable’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 314Roman Emperor Licinius is defeated by his colleague Constantine I at the Battle of Cibalae, and loses his European territories.
- 1480Great standing on the Ugra river, a standoff between the forces of Akhmat Khan, Khan of the Great Horde, and the Grand Duke Ivan III of Russia, which results in the retreat of the Tataro-Mongols and the eventual disintegration of the Horde.
- 1829Rail transport: Stephenson’s The Rocket wins The Rainhill Trials.
- 1871Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- 1918World War I: In the Argonne Forest in France, United States Corporal Alvin C. York kills 25 German soldiers and captures 132.
- 1928Joseph Szigeti gives the first performance of Alfredo Casella’s Violin Concerto.
- 1932The Indian Air Force is established.
- 1991Croatia votes to sever constitutional relations with Yugoslavia, making the country fully independent
- 1998Oslo’s Gardermoen airport opens after the close down of Fornebu airport.
- 2001A twin engine Cessna and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) jetliner collide in heavy fog during takeoff from Milan, Italy killing 118.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1883Dick Burnett, American musician (d. 1977)
- 1924Alphons Egli, member of the Swiss Federal Council
- 1927Jim Elliot, American missionary (d. 1956)
- 1946Dennis Kucinich, American politician
- 1962Bruno Thiry, Belgian rally driver
- 1969Dylan Neal, Canadian actor
- 1980Mike Mizanin, American wrestler
- 1980Nick Cannon, American actor
- 1981Ruby, Egyptian singer
- 1983Michael Fraser, Scottish footballer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.