October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2021 is the 281st day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Friday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is viernes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OURWXEWAINS? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters OURWXEWAINS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 451At Chalcedon, a city of Bithynia in Asia Minor, the first session of the Council of Chalcedon begins (ends on November 1).
- 1806Napoleonic Wars: Forces of the British Empire lay siege to the port of Boulogne in France by using Congreve rockets, invented by Sir William Congreve.
- 1813The Treaty of Ried is signed between Bayern and Austria.
- 1829Rail transport: Stephenson’s The Rocket wins The Rainhill Trials.
- 1921KDKA in Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field conducts the first live broadcast of a football game.
- 1928Joseph Szigeti gives the first performance of Alfredo Casella’s Violin Concerto.
- 1932The Indian Air Force is established.
- 1973Greek military junta of 1967–1974: Junta strongman George Papadopoulos appoints Spyros Markezinis as Prime Minister of Greece with the task to lead Greece to parliamentary rule.
- 1974Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
- 1978Australia’s Ken Warby sets the current world water speed record of 317.60mph at Blowering Dam, Australia.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1585Heinrich Schütz, German composer (d. 1672)
- 1917Danny Murtaugh, American baseball player (d. 1976)
- 1930Tōru Takemitsu, Japanese composer (d. 1996)
- 1940Fred Cash, American singer (The Impressions)
- 1956Stephanie Zimbalist, American actress
- 1957Joe Castiglione, American college athletic director
- 1970Matt Damon, American actor
- 1974DJ Q-Ball, American musician (Bloodhound Gang)
- 1978Antonino D'Agostino, Italian footballer
- 1987Aya Hirano, Japanese voice actress
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.