October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2019 was the 281st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Josie’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 314Roman Emperor Licinius is defeated by his colleague Constantine I at the Battle of Cibalae, and loses his European territories.
- 1075Dmitar Zvonimir is crowned King of Croatia.
- 1573End of the Spanish siege of Alkmaar, the first Dutch victory in Eighty Years War.
- 1600San Marino adopts its written constitution.
- 1860Telegraph line between Los Angeles and San Francisco opens.
- 1871Four major fires break out on the shores of Lake Michigan in Chicago, Peshtigo, Wisconsin, Holland, Michigan, and Manistee, Michigan including the Great Chicago Fire, and the much deadlier Peshtigo Fire.
- 1895Eulmi incident- Queen Min of Joseon, the last empress of Korea, is assassinated and her corpse burnt by the Japanese in Gyeongbok Palace.
- 1928Joseph Szigeti gives the first performance of Alfredo Casella’s Violin Concerto.
- 1974Franklin National Bank collapses due to fraud and mismanagement; at the time it is the largest bank failure in the history of the United States.
- 1982Poland bans Solidarity and all trade unions.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1713Yechezkel Landau, Polish rabbi and Talmudist (d. 1793)
- 1847Rose Scott, Australian social reformer (d. 1925)
- 1888Ernst Kretschmer, German psychiatrist (d. 1964)
- 1890Edward Rickenbacker, American fighter pilot and airline executive (d. 1973)
- 1928Neil Harvey, Australian cricketer
- 1948Claude Jade, French actress (d. 2006)
- 1948Pedro López, Colombian serial killer
- 1948Sarah Purcell, American television host
- 1970Anne-Marie Duff, English actress
- 1986Michele Sepe, Italian rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.