October 8: Day of the Week
October 8, 2019 is the 281st day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 84 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kayōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
October 8 Historical Event(s)
- 1200Isabella of Angoulême is crowned Queen consort of England.
- 1480Great standing on the Ugra river, a standoff between the forces of Akhmat Khan, Khan of the Great Horde, and the Grand Duke Ivan III of Russia, which results in the retreat of the Tataro-Mongols and the eventual disintegration of the Horde.
- 1645Jeanne Mance opened the Hôtel-Dieu de Montréal, the first lay hospital in North America.
- 1829Rail transport: Stephenson’s The Rocket wins The Rainhill Trials.
- 1904Edmonton, Alberta was incorporated as a city.
- 1918World War I: In the Argonne Forest in France, United States Corporal Alvin C. York kills 25 German soldiers and captures 132.
- 1932The Indian Air Force is established.
- 1939World War II: Germany annexes Western Poland.
- 1978Australia’s Ken Warby sets the current world water speed record of 317.60mph at Blowering Dam, Australia.
- 2001A twin engine Cessna and Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS) jetliner collide in heavy fog during takeoff from Milan, Italy killing 118.
Who were born on October 8?
- 1870Louis Vierne, French organist (d. 1937)
- 1917Danny Murtaugh, American baseball player (d. 1976)
- 1930Tōru Takemitsu, Japanese composer (d. 1996)
- 1948Claude Jade, French actress (d. 2006)
- 1956Jeff Lahti, American baseball player
- 1966Camille Coduri, British actress
- 1966Felipe Camiroaga, Chilean television presenter
- 1968Leeroy Thornhill, British musician (The Prodigy)
- 1970Matt Damon, American actor
- 1978Mick O'Driscoll, Irish rugby player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.