October 9: Day of the Week
October 9, 2021 was the 282nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 83 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters UNRHUSVABJ? Check your answers here: Word search UNRHUSVABJ. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1238James I of Aragon conquers Valencia and founds the Kingdom of Valencia.
- 1604Supernova 1604, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- 1701The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
- 1845The eminent and controversial Anglican, John Henry Newman, is received into the Roman Catholic Church.
- 1907Las Cruces, New Mexico is incorporated.
- 1914World War I: Siege of Antwerp – Antwerp, Belgium falls to German troops.
- 1934Regicide at Marseille: The assassination of King Alexander I of Yugoslavia and Louis Barthou, Foreign Minister of France.
- 1936Generators at Boulder Dam (later renamed to Hoover Dam) begin to generate electricity from the Colorado River and transmit it 266 miles to Los Angeles, California.
- 1942Statute of Westminster 1931 formalises Australian autonomy.
- 1991Ecuador becomes a member of the Berne Convention copyright treaty.
Who were born on October 9?
- 1871Didak Buntić, Croatian monk and scholar (d. 1922)
- 1915Clifford M. Hardin, 17th United States Secretary of Agriculture (d. 2010)
- 1935Prince Edward, Duke of Kent, member of the British Royal Family
- 1941Trent Lott, American politician
- 1947William E. McAnulty, Jr., American lawyer (d. 2007)
- 1970Kenny Anderson, American basketball player
- 1970Park Sang-min, South Korean actor
- 1972Audie England, American actress
- 1979Alex Greenwald, American musician (Phantom Planet)
- 1993Scotty McCreery, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.