October 9: Day of the Week
October 9, 2021 is the 282nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 83 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn French then this day of the week in French is samedi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters IUOSLYFTWZM? Check your answers here: Word search IUOSLYFTWZM. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1264The Kingdom of Castile conquers the city of Jerez that was under Muslim occupation since 711.
- 1740Dutch colonists and various slave groups begin massacring ethnic Chinese in Batavia, eventually killing 10,000 and leading to a two-year-long war throughout Java.
- 1799Sinking of HMS Lutine, with the loss of 240 men and a cargo worth £1,200,000.
- 1914World War I: Siege of Antwerp – Antwerp, Belgium falls to German troops.
- 1945Parade in NYC for Fleet Admiral Nimitz and 13 USN/USMC Medal of Honor recipients
- 1962Uganda becomes an independent Commonwealth realm.
- 1966Vietnam War: Binh Tai massacre
- 1967A day after being captured, Marxist revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara is executed for attempting to incite a revolution in Bolivia.
- 1981Abolition of capital punishment in France.
- 1992A 13 kilogram (est.) fragment of the Peekskill meteorite lands in the driveway of the Knapp residence in Peekskill, New York, destroying the family’s 1980 Chevrolet Malibu
Who were born on October 9?
- 1911Joe Rosenthal, American photographer (d. 2006)
- 1914Edward Andrews, American actor (d. 1985)
- 1915Clifford M. Hardin, 17th United States Secretary of Agriculture (d. 2010)
- 1918E. Howard Hunt, American Watergate figure (d. 2007)
- 1939O. V. Wright, American soul singer (d. 1980)
- 1954John O'Hurley, American actor and game show host
- 1966Christopher Östlund, Swedish publisher and entrepreneur
- 1971Simon Atlee, British photographer (d. 2004)
- 1973Terry Balsamo, American guitarist (Evanescence)
- 1983Jang Mi-Ran, South Korean weightlifter
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.