October 9: Day of the Week
October 9, 2021 is the 282nd day of the year 2021 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 83 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Saturday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Doyōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters ORPQAEEK? Check your answers here: Make words with these letters ORPQAEEK. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
October 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1264The Kingdom of Castile conquers the city of Jerez that was under Muslim occupation since 711.
- 1446The hangul alphabet is published in Korea.
- 1635Founder of Rhode Island Roger Williams is banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony as a religious dissident after he speaks out against punishments for religious offenses and giving away Native American land.
- 1806Prussia declares war on France.
- 1820Guayaquil declares independence from Spain.
- 1913Steamship SS Volturno catches fire in the mid-Atlantic.
- 1962Uganda becomes an independent Commonwealth realm.
- 1967A day after being captured, Marxist revolutionary Ernesto “Che” Guevara is executed for attempting to incite a revolution in Bolivia.
- 1992A 13 kilogram (est.) fragment of the Peekskill meteorite lands in the driveway of the Knapp residence in Peekskill, New York, destroying the family’s 1980 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2001Second mailing of anthrax letters from Trenton, New Jersey in the 2001 anthrax attack.
Who were born on October 9?
- 1328King Peter I of Cyprus (d. 1369)
- 1796Joseph Bonomi the Younger, English Egyptologist (d. 1878)
- 1835Camille Saint-Saëns, French composer (d. 1921)
- 1873Charles Walgreen, American entrepreneur (d. 1939)
- 1900Alastair Sim, Scottish actor (d. 1976)
- 1921Michel Boisrond, French film director (d. 2002)
- 1950Brian Downing, American baseball player
- 1973Steven Burns, American actor and musician
- 1978Nicky Byrne, Irish musician (Westlife)
- 1979Brandon Routh, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.