October 9: Day of the Week
October 9, 2020 was the 283rd day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 83 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Friday.
If you are trying to learn Japanese then this day of the week in Japanese is Kin'yōbi.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the October calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Libra is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Opal is the modern birthstone for this month. Jasper is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about your first name’s personality. Are there magical powers hidden in your given name? Every moniker has an undeniable character and personality. Check out Diego’s personality and get smarter today. (Sponsored links)
October 9 Historical Event(s)
- 1264The Kingdom of Castile conquers the city of Jerez that was under Muslim occupation since 711.
- 1514Marriage of Louis XII of France and Mary Tudor.
- 1604Supernova 1604, the most recent supernova to be observed in the Milky Way.
- 1635Founder of Rhode Island Roger Williams is banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony as a religious dissident after he speaks out against punishments for religious offenses and giving away Native American land.
- 1701The Collegiate School of Connecticut (later renamed Yale University) is chartered in Old Saybrook, Connecticut.
- 1831Capo d'Istria, the first head of state of independent Greece is assassinated.
- 1911An accidental bomb explosion in Hankou, Wuhan, China leads to the ultimate fall of the Qing Empire
- 1942Statute of Westminster 1931 formalises Australian autonomy.
- 1983Rangoon bombing: attempted assassination of South Korean President Chun Doo-hwan during an official visit to Rangoon, Burma. Chun survives but the blast kills 17 of his entourage, including four cabinet ministers, and injures 17 others. Four Burmese officials also die in the blast.
- 2001Second mailing of anthrax letters from Trenton, New Jersey in the 2001 anthrax attack.
Who were born on October 9?
- 1328King Peter I of Cyprus (d. 1369)
- 1886Rube Marquard, American baseball player (d. 1980)
- 1928Einojuhani Rautavaara, Finnish composer
- 1938Heinz Fischer, Austrian politician
- 1940Gordon Humphrey, American politician
- 1940John Lennon, British musician and songwriter (The Beatles) (d. 1980)
- 1954John O'Hurley, American actor and game show host
- 1960Kenny Garrett, American jazz saxophonist
- 1972Sarah Vandenbergh, Australian actor
- 1981Zachery Ty Bryan, American actor
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.