September 17: Day of the Week
September 17, 2019 is the 260th day of the year 2019 in the Gregorian calendar. There are 105 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week is Tuesday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is martes.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
What no one tells you about the hidden secrets of your first name. Are there magical powers in your given name? Every name has a character and personality. Get smart with name meanings. Find out what your name means! (Sponsored link)
September 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1111Highest Galician nobility led by Pedro Fróilaz de Traba and the bishop Diego Gelmírez crown Alfonso VII as “King of Galicia”.
- 1462The Battle of Świecino (also known as the Battle of Żarnowiec) is fought during Thirteen Years’ War.
- 1776The Presidio of San Francisco is founded in New Spain.
- 1940World War II: Following the German defeat in the Battle of Britain, Hitler postpones Operation Sea Lion indefinitely.
- 1943World War II: The Russian city of Bryansk is liberated from Nazis.
- 1948The Lehi (also known as the Stern gang) assassinates Count Folke Bernadotte, who was appointed by the UN to mediate between the Arab nations and Israel.
- 1948The Nizam of Hyderabad surrenders his sovereignty over the Hyderabad State and joins the Indian Union.
- 1961The world’s first retractable-dome stadium, the Civic Arena, opens in Pittsburgh.
- 1974Bangladesh, Grenada and Guinea-Bissau join the United Nations.
- 1980After weeks of strikes at the Lenin Shipyard in Gdańsk, Poland, the nationwide independent trade union Solidarity is established.
Who were born on September 17?
- 1854David Dunbar Buick, American automobile pioneer (d. 1929)
- 1881Alfred Francis Blakeney Carpenter, English soldier (d. 1955)
- 1930Lalgudi Jayaraman, Indian violinist
- 1933Claude Provost, National Hockey League player (d. 1984)
- 1946Billy Bonds, English footballer
- 1963Amy Roloff, American reality star
- 1972Brian Henry, American poet
- 1979Chuck Comeau, Canadian musician (Simple Plan)
- 1984John Kucera, Canadian alpine ski racer
- 1985Mason Raymond, Canadian hockey player
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.