September 17: Day of the Week
September 17, 2020 was the 261st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 105 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters OEJIGIIS? Check your answers here: Words with these letters OEJIGIIS. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
September 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1111Highest Galician nobility led by Pedro Fróilaz de Traba and the bishop Diego Gelmírez crown Alfonso VII as “King of Galicia”.
- 1577The Peace of Bergerac is signed between Henry III of France and the Huguenots.
- 1809Peace between Sweden and Russia in the Finnish War. The territory to become Finland is ceded to Russia by the Treaty of Fredrikshamn.
- 1814Francis Scott Key finishes his poem “Defence of Fort McHenry”, later to be the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner”.
- 1949The Canadian steamship SS Noronic burns in Toronto Harbour with the loss of over 118 lives.
- 1957Malaysia joins the United Nations.
- 1978The Camp David Accords are signed by Israel and Egypt.
- 1983Vanessa Williams becomes the first black Miss America.
- 1991Estonia, North Korea, South Korea, Latvia, Lithuania, the Marshall Islands and Micronesia join the United Nations.
- 2007AOL, once the largest ISP in the U.S., officially announces plans to refocus the company as an advertising business and to relocate its corporate headquarters from Dulles, Virginia to New York, New York.
Who were born on September 17?
- 1868James Alexander Calder, Canadian politician (d. 1956)
- 1883William Carlos Williams, American writer (d. 1963)
- 1927George Blanda, American football player (d. 2010)
- 1930David Huddleston, American actor
- 1930Edgar Mitchell, American astronaut
- 1933Dorothy Loudon, American actress (d. 2003)
- 1958Tom Waddell, Scottish former Major League Baseball player
- 1963Masahiro Chono, Japanese professional wrestler
- 1965Yuji Naka, Japanese video game programmer
- 1975Jade Esteban Estrada, Latin pop singer, comedian and activist
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.