September 17: Day of the Week
September 17, 2020 was the 261st day of the year 2020 in the Gregorian calendar. There were 105 days remaining until the end of the year. The day of the week was Thursday.
If you are trying to learn Spanish then this day of the week in Spanish is jueves.
Hey! How’s your lovelife today? Get a free love reading with the most frank answers. Start to seize love opportunities in your life! Try it today and improve your lovelife. Did I mention it’s F-R-E-E? (Sponsored link; 18+ only)
Here’s the September calendar. You can also browse the full year monthly calendar.
Zodiac & Birthstone
Virgo is the zodiac sign of a person born on this day. Sapphire is the modern birthstone for this month. Agate is the mystical birthstone from Tibetan origin that dates back over a thousand years.
Holy Toledo! Did you know that coffee and word games are an excellent combination to sharpen your vocabulary? Let’s give it a quick spin. Within 30 seconds, how many words can you think of from these letters EUGQOMLDU? Check your answers here: Word finder EUGQOMLDU. (Sponsored by WordFinder.Cafe)
September 17 Historical Event(s)
- 1462The Battle of Świecino (also known as the Battle of Żarnowiec) is fought during Thirteen Years’ War.
- 1787The United States Constitution is signed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1809Peace between Sweden and Russia in the Finnish War. The territory to become Finland is ceded to Russia by the Treaty of Fredrikshamn.
- 1814Francis Scott Key finishes his poem “Defence of Fort McHenry”, later to be the lyrics of “The Star-Spangled Banner”.
- 1849American abolitionist Harriet Tubman escapes from slavery.
- 1939World War II: The Soviet Union joins Nazi Germany’s invasion of Poland during the Polish Defensive War of 1939.
- 1940World War II: Following the German defeat in the Battle of Britain, Hitler postpones Operation Sea Lion indefinitely.
- 1949The Canadian steamship SS Noronic burns in Toronto Harbour with the loss of over 118 lives.
- 1961The world’s first retractable-dome stadium, the Civic Arena, opens in Pittsburgh.
- 1993Last Russian troops leave Poland.
Who were born on September 17?
- 1771Johann August Apel, German jurist and writer (d. 1816)
- 1820Émile Augier, French dramatist (d. 1889)
- 1857Konstantin Tsiolkovsky, Russian rocket scientist (d. 1935)
- 1902Bea Miles, Australian eccentric and writer (d. 1973)
- 1918Chaim Herzog, President of Israel (d. 1997)
- 1931Jean-Claude Carrière, French writer, screenwriter and actor
- 1968Marie-Chantal, Crown Princess of Greece
- 1971Adriana Sklenaříková, Slovak supermodel
- 1973Ada Choi, Hong Kong actress
- 1975Constantine Maroulis, American singer
Now try another date like anniversaries, birthdays of someone you know or any other date that is special to you. Don’t forget to share the info to your friends, loved ones or social media followers. Who knows, they might appreciate and thank you for it.