Are you not curious to discover some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your special day and who shares your birthday! (Sponsored link)
1776 Historical Event(s)
- March 17, 1776 – American Revolution: British forces evacuate Boston, Massachusetts, ending the Siege of Boston, after George Washington and Henry Knox place artillery in positions overlooking the city.
- March 28, 1776 – Juan Bautista de Anza finds the site for the Presidio of San Francisco.
- April 13, 1776 – American Revolutionary War: American forces are surprised in the Battle of Bound Brook, New Jersey.
- June 12, 1776 – The Virginia Declaration of Rights is adopted.
- July 2, 1776 – The Continental Congress adopts a resolution severing ties with Great Britain although the wording of the formal Declaration of Independence is not approved until July 4.
- August 27, 1776 – The Battle of Long Island: in what is now Brooklyn, New York, British forces under General William Howe defeat Americans under General George Washington.
- September 15, 1776 – American Revolutionary War: British forces land at Kip’s Bay during the New York Campaign.
- September 17, 1776 – The Presidio of San Francisco is founded in New Spain.
- October 11, 1776 – American Revolutionary War: Battle of Valcour Island – On Lake Champlain a fleet of American boats is defeated by the Royal Navy, but delays the British advance until 1777.
- October 26, 1776 – Benjamin Franklin departs from America for France on a mission to seek French support for the American Revolution.
Who Were Born On 1776?
- January 10, 1776 – George Birkbeck, British academic (d. 1841)
- January 24, 1776 – E.T.A. Hoffmann, German writer (d. 1822)
- March 10, 1776 – Louise of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, Queen consort of Prussia (d. 1810)
- April 25, 1776 – Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (d. 1857)
- June 11, 1776 – John Constable, English painter (d. 1837)
- July 13, 1776 – Caroline of Baden, consort of Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria (d. 1841)
- August 9, 1776 – Amedeo Avogadro, Italian chemist (d. 1856)
- August 25, 1776 – Thomas Bladen Capel Royal Navy Admiral (d. 1853)
- November 14, 1776 – Henri Dutrochet, French physiologist (d. 1847)
- December 25, 1776 – Sydney Owenson (Lady Morgan), Irish writer (alleged date of birth) (d. 1859)