Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- June 3, 1942 – World War II: Japan begins the Aleutian Islands Campaign by bombing Unalaska Island.
- June 8, 1942 – World War II: Japanese imperial submarines I-21 and I-24 shell the Australian cities of Sydney and Newcastle.
- June 26, 1942 – The first flight of the Grumman F6F Hellcat.
- July 6, 1942 – Anne Frank and her family go into hiding in the “Secret Annexe” above her father’s office in an Amsterdam warehouse.
- July 28, 1942 – World War II: Soviet leader Joseph Stalin issues Order No. 227 in response to alarming German advances into the Soviet Union. Under the order all those who retreat or otherwise leave their positions without orders to do so are to be immediately executed.
- November 4, 1942 – World War II: Second Battle of El Alamein – Disobeying a direct order by Adolf Hitler, General Field Marshal Erwin Rommel leads his forces on a five-month retreat.
- November 8, 1942 – World War II: French resistance coup in Algiers, in which 400 civilian French patriots neutralize Vichyist XIXth Army Corps after 15 hours of fighting, and arrest several Vichyst generals, allowing the immediate success of Operation Torch in Algiers.
- November 19, 1942 – World War II: Battle of Stalingrad – Soviet Union forces under General Georgy Zhukov launch the Operation Uranus counterattacks at Stalingrad, turning the tide of the battle in the USSR’s favor.
- November 21, 1942 – The completion of the Alaska Highway (also known as the Alcan Highway) is celebrated (however, the highway is not usable by general vehicles until 1943).
Who Were Born On 1942?
- January 1, 1942 – Alassane Ouattara, former Prime Minister of Ivory Coast
- March 12, 1942 – Jimmy Wynn, American baseball player
- May 1, 1942 – Stephen Macht, American actor
- June 28, 1942 – Frank Zane, American bodybuilder
- August 20, 1942 – Fred Norman, American baseball player
- September 12, 1942 – Michel Drucker, French journalist and television host
- September 29, 1942 – Bill Nelson, American politician
- October 27, 1942 – Lee Greenwood, American singer
- November 20, 1942 – Norman Greenbaum, American singer
- November 26, 1942 – Dang Thuy Tram, Vietnamese civilian doctor (d. 1970)