Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- February 1, 1942 – Voice of America, the official external radio and television service of the United States federal government, begins broadcasting with programs aimed at areas controlled by the Axis powers.
- February 11, 1942 – The first gold record is presented to Glenn Miller for “Chattanooga Choo Choo”.
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- June 10, 1942 – World War II: Nazis burn the Czech village of Lidice in reprisal for the killing of Reinhard Heydrich.
- July 10, 1942 – Diplomatic relations between the Netherlands and the Soviet Union are established.
- July 23, 1942 – Bulgarian poet and Communist leader Nikola Vaptsarov is executed by firing squad.
- August 6, 1942 – Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands becomes the first reigning queen to address a joint session of the United States Congress.
- October 12, 1942 – World War II: Japanese ships retreat after their defeat in the Battle of Cape Esperance with the Japanese commander, Aritomo Gotō dying from wounds suffered in the battle and two Japanese destroyers sunk by Allied air attack.
- November 10, 1942 – World War II: Germany invades Vichy France following French Admiral François Darlan’s agreement to an armistice with the Allies in North Africa.
- December 4, 1942 – World War II: Carlson’s patrol during the Guadalcanal Campaign ends.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- February 5, 1942 – James B. Cobb, Jr., American guitarist (Classics IV)
- February 21, 1942 – Margarethe von Trotta, German actress and film director
- April 19, 1942 – Alan Price, English musician (The Animals, The Alan Price Set)
- April 29, 1942 – Galina Kulakova, Soviet cross country skier
- June 7, 1942 – Muammar Gaddafi, Ruler of Libya (d. 2011)
- June 21, 1942 – Marjorie Margolies-Mezvinsky, American TV reporter and Congresswoman
- August 12, 1942 – Hans-Wilhelm Müller-Wohlfahrt, German physician
- September 7, 1942 – Alan Oakes, British Footballer
- September 12, 1942 – Michel Drucker, French journalist and television host
- December 20, 1942 – Rana Bhagwandas, Former Pakistani Chief Justice