Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- January 7, 1942 – World War II: The siege of the Bataan Peninsula begins.
- January 20, 1942 – World War II: At the Wannsee Conference held in the Berlin suburb of Wannsee, senior Nazi German officials discuss the implementation of the “Final Solution to the Jewish Question”.
- January 25, 1942 – World War II: Thailand declares war on the United States and United Kingdom.
- January 31, 1942 – World War II: Allied forces are defeated by the Japanese at the Battle of Malaya and retreat to the island of Singapore.
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- May 10, 1942 – World War II: The Thai Phayap Army invades the Shan States during the Burma Campaign.
- August 8, 1942 – Quit India Movement is launched in India against the British rule in response to Mahatma Gandhi’s call for swaraj or complete independence.
- October 12, 1942 – World War II: Japanese ships retreat after their defeat in the Battle of Cape Esperance with the Japanese commander, Aritomo Gotō dying from wounds suffered in the battle and two Japanese destroyers sunk by Allied air attack.
- November 8, 1942 – World War II: French resistance coup in Algiers, in which 400 civilian French patriots neutralize Vichyist XIXth Army Corps after 15 hours of fighting, and arrest several Vichyst generals, allowing the immediate success of Operation Torch in Algiers.
- November 11, 1942 – World War II: The Second Battle of El Alamein is won by the British in El Alamein, Egypt.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- January 31, 1942 – Derek Jarman, British director and writer (d. 1994)
- March 12, 1942 – Jimmy Wynn, American baseball player
- March 31, 1942 – Michael Savage, American radio host and political commentator
- April 25, 1942 – Jon Kyl, American politician, junior senator of Arizona
- June 18, 1942 – Carl Radle, American tour and session bass guitarist (d. 1980)
- July 23, 1942 – Dimitris Liantinis, Greek philosopher
- August 16, 1942 – Barbara George, American singer and songwriter (d. 2006)
- August 29, 1942 – John Heuser, Electron microscopist
- September 9, 1942 – Danny Kalb, American musician, (Blues Project)
- November 25, 1942 – Mimis Papaioannou, Greek footballer