Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1942 Historical Event(s)
- February 15, 1942 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Water Horse in Chinese astrology.
- March 8, 1942 – World War II: The Dutch surrender to Japanese forces on Java.
- March 31, 1942 – World War II: Japanese forces invade Christmas Island, then a British possession.
- May 29, 1942 – Bing Crosby, the Ken Darby Singers and the John Scott Trotter Orchestra record Irving Berlin’s “White Christmas”, the best-selling Christmas single in history, for Decca Records in Los Angeles.
- July 1, 1942 – The Australian Federal Government becomes the sole collector of Income Tax in Australia as the State Income Tax is abolished.
- August 19, 1942 – World War II: Operation Jubilee – the 2nd Canadian Infantry Division leads an amphibious assault by allied forces on Dieppe, France and fails, many Canadians are killed or captured. The operation was doomed to fail, and was intended to develop and try new amphibious landing tactics for the coming full invasion in Normandy.
- October 9, 1942 – Statute of Westminster 1931 formalises Australian autonomy.
- October 11, 1942 – World War II: Battle of Cape Esperance – On the northwest coast of Guadalcanal, United States Navy ships intercept and defeat a Japanese fleet on their way to reinforce troops on the island.
- November 13, 1942 – World War II: Naval Battle of Guadalcanal – U.S. and Japanese ships engage in an intense, close-quarters surface naval engagement during the Battle of Guadalcanal.
- November 15, 1942 – World War II: The Battle of Guadalcanal ends in a decisive Allied victory.
Who Were Born On 1942?
- January 5, 1942 – Terenci Moix, Spanish writer (d. 2003)
- January 31, 1942 – Daniela Bianchi, Italian actress
- April 4, 1942 – Elizabeth Levy, American author
- May 29, 1942 – Kevin Conway, American actor
- June 4, 1942 – Louis Reichardt, American mountaineer
- August 24, 1942 – Max Cleland, American politician
- September 12, 1942 – Tomás Marco, Spanish/Basque composer
- October 31, 1942 – Dave McNally, American baseball player
- December 30, 1942 – Guy Edwards, English racing driver
- December 31, 1942 – Andy Summers, British guitarist (The Police)