Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 18, 1944 – The Metropolitan Opera House in New York City hosts a jazz concert for the first time. The performers are Louis Armstrong, Benny Goodman, Lionel Hampton, Artie Shaw, Roy Eldridge and Jack Teagarden.
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- February 24, 1944 – Merrill’s Marauders: The Marauders begin their 1,000 mile journey through Japanese occupied Burma.
- July 21, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Guam – American troops land on Guam starting the battle. It would end on August 10.
- September 8, 1944 – World War II: Menton is liberated from Germany.
- September 15, 1944 – Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill meet in Quebec as part of the Octagon Conference to discuss strategy.
- October 11, 1944 – Tuvinian People’s Republic or formerly Tannu Tuva is annexed by the U.S.S.R
- October 16, 1944 – Wally Walrus, Woody Woodpecker’s first steady foil, was debuted at the The Beach Nut, a Walter Lantz’s cartoon.
- October 25, 1944 – Heinrich Himmler orders a crackdown on the Edelweiss Pirates, a loosely organized youth culture in Nazi Germany that had assisted army deserters and others to hide from the Third Reich.
- October 30, 1944 – Anne Frank and sister Margot Frank are deported from Auschwitz to the Bergen-Belsen concentration camp.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- January 28, 1944 – John Tavener, English composer
- February 16, 1944 – António Mascarenhas Monteiro, 2nd President of Cape Verde
- March 1, 1944 – Roger Daltrey, English musician (The Who)
- June 5, 1944 – Colm Wilkinson, Irish singer
- June 17, 1944 – Bill Rafferty, American comedian and impressionist
- September 8, 1944 – Terry Jenner, Australian cricketer
- September 30, 1944 – Jimmy Johnstone, Scottish Celtic footballer (d. 2006)
- October 29, 1944 – Otto Wiesheu, German minister
- November 12, 1944 – Booker T. Jones, American musician and songwriter (Booker T and the MG’s)
- December 16, 1944 – Don Meyer, Basketball coach Northern State University, David Lipscomb University, and Hamline University