Are you good at remembering dates like birthdays? Train your brain if you are not born with superior ability to memorize. Try this free brain game & improve your memory! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- March 30, 1944 – Allied bombing raid on Nuremberg. Along the English eastern coast 795 aircraft are despatched, including 572 Lancasters, 214 Halifaxes and 9 Mosquitos. The bombers meet resistance at the coasts of Belgium and the Netherlands from German fighters. In total, 95 bombers are lost, making it the largest Bomber Command loss of World War II.
- April 4, 1944 – World War II: First bombardment of Bucharest by Anglo-American forces kills 3000 civilians.
- April 14, 1944 – Bombay Explosion: A massive explosion in Bombay harbor kills 300 and causes economic damage valued then at 20 million pounds.
- May 18, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Monte Cassino – Conclusion after seven days of the fourth battle as German paratroopers evacuate Monte Cassino.
- August 19, 1944 – World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- September 6, 1944 – World War II: The city of Ypres, Belgium is liberated by allied forces.
- October 20, 1944 – The Soviet Army and Yugoslav Partisans liberate Belgrade, the capital of Yugoslavia
- November 11, 1944 – Dr. jur. Erich Göstl, a member of the Waffen SS, is presented with the Knight’s Cross of the Iron Cross, to recognise extreme battlefield bravery, after losing his face and eyes during the Battle of Normandy.
- November 12, 1944 – World War II: The Royal Air Force launches 29 Avro Lancaster bombers in one of the most successful precision bombing attacks of war and sinks the German battleship Tirpitz, with 12,000 lb Tallboy bombs off Tromsø, Norway.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- January 14, 1944 – Nina Totenberg, American journalist
- January 31, 1944 – Charlie Musselwhite, American musician
- February 13, 1944 – Oduvil Unnikrishnan, Indian actor (d. 2006)
- March 4, 1944 – Ulrich Roski, German singer-songwriter (d. 2003)
- March 8, 1944 – Pepe Romero, Spanish guitarist
- April 14, 1944 – John Sergeant, British journalist
- July 27, 1944 – Tony Capstick, English comedian (d. 2003)
- August 2, 1944 – Naná Vasconcelos, Brazilian jazz percussionist and vocalist
- September 19, 1944 – Jean Succar Kuri, Lebanese-born Mexican businessman
- November 7, 1944 – Luigi Riva, Italian footballer