Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- April 4, 1944 – World War II: First bombardment of Bucharest by Anglo-American forces kills 3000 civilians.
- April 14, 1944 – Bombay Explosion: A massive explosion in Bombay harbor kills 300 and causes economic damage valued then at 20 million pounds.
- June 14, 1944 – World War II: After several failed attempts, the British Army abandons Operation Perch, its plan to capture the German-occupied town of Caen.
- June 20, 1944 – Continuation war: the Soviet Union demands an unconditional surrender from Finland during the beginning of partially successful Vyborg–Petrozavodsk Offensive. The Finnish government refuses.
- August 19, 1944 – World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- August 21, 1944 – World War II: Canadian and Polish units capture the strategically important town of Falaise, France.
- August 24, 1944 – World War II: Allied troops begin the attack on Paris.
- September 3, 1944 – Holocaust: diarist Anne Frank and her family are placed on the last transport train from Westerbork to Auschwitz, arriving three days later.
- September 25, 1944 – World War II: Surviving elements of the British 1st Airborne Division withdraw from Arnhem in the Netherlands, thus ending the Battle of Arnhem and Operation Market Garden.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- February 26, 1944 – Ronald Lauder, American philanthropist and president of the World Jewish Congress
- March 5, 1944 – Roy Gutman, American journalist, Pulitzer Prize winner
- April 27, 1944 – Cuba Gooding, Sr., American musician (The Main Ingredient)
- April 30, 1944 – Jill Clayburgh, American actress (d. 2010)
- May 8, 1944 – Gary Glitter, English singer
- June 2, 1944 – Marvin Hamlisch, American composer and musician
- June 17, 1944 – Bill Rafferty, American comedian and impressionist
- September 25, 1944 – Grayson Shillingford, West Indian cricket bowler
- October 29, 1944 – Claude Brochu, Canadian businessman and sports executive (Montreal Expos)
- November 28, 1944 – Timothy Krajcir, American serial killer