Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1944 Historical Event(s)
- January 25, 1944 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Monkey in Chinese astrology.
- January 31, 1944 – World War II: American forces land on Kwajalein Atoll and other islands in the Japanese-held Marshall Islands.
- June 7, 1944 – World War II: Battle of Normandy – At Abbey Ardennes members of the SS Division Hitlerjugend massacre 23 Canadian prisoners of war.
- June 17, 1944 – Iceland declares independence from Denmark and becomes a republic.
- July 3, 1944 – World War II: Minsk is liberated from Nazi control by Soviet troops during Operation Bagration.
- August 19, 1944 – World War II: Liberation of Paris – Paris rises against German occupation with the help of Allied troops.
- August 22, 1944 – World War II: Romania is captured by the Soviet Union.
- October 10, 1944 – Holocaust: 800 Gypsy children are murdered at Auschwitz concentration camp.
- October 25, 1944 – Battle of Leyte Gulf, the largest naval battle in history, takes place in and around the Philippines between the Imperial Japanese Navy and the U.S. Third and U.S. Seventh Fleets.
- December 28, 1944 – Maurice Richard becomes the first player to score 8 points in one game of NHL ice hockey.
Who Were Born On 1944?
- January 3, 1944 – Blanche d'Alpuget, Australian novelist, biographer
- February 10, 1944 – Frances Moore Lappe, American writer and activist
- March 4, 1944 – Greg Weld, American racecar driver (d. 2008)
- March 31, 1944 – Pascal Danel, French singer and songwriter
- April 15, 1944 – Dave Edmunds, Welsh musician
- July 23, 1944 – Dino Danelli, drummer (Young Rascals)
- August 22, 1944 – Peter Hofmann, Czech-born German operatic tenor (d. 2010)
- November 17, 1944 – Rem Koolhaas, Dutch architect
- December 21, 1944 – Michael Tilson Thomas, American conductor
- December 30, 1944 – William J. Fallon, U.S. Navy Admiral, former U.S. Central Command commander