Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- April 15, 1955 – McDonald’s restaurant dates its founding to the opening of a franchised restaurant by Ray Kroc, in Des Plaines, Illinois
- April 23, 1955 – The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
- May 2, 1955 – Tennessee Williams wins the Pulitzer Prize for Drama for Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
- May 25, 1955 – First ascent of Kangchenjunga (8,586 m.), the third highest mountain in the world, by a British expedition led by Joe Brown and George Band.
- June 15, 1955 – The Eisenhower administration stages the first annual “Operation Alert” (OPAL) exercise, an attempt to assess the USA’s preparations for a nuclear attack.
- July 28, 1955 – The Union Mundial pro Interlingua is founded at the first Interlingua congress in Tours, France.
- August 7, 1955 – Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan.
- September 16, 1955 – Juan Perón is deposed as the ruler of Argentina.
- December 1, 1955 – American Civil Rights Movement: In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city’s racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- January 10, 1955 – Franco Tancredi, Italian footballer
- January 27, 1955 – Koji Ushikubo, Japanese racing driver
- February 18, 1955 – Miles Tredinnick, English playwright
- February 22, 1955 – David Axelrod, American political consultant
- March 5, 1955 – Julien Dray, French politician
- March 18, 1955 – Francis G. Slay, American politician
- April 16, 1955 – Henri, Grand Duke of Luxembourg
- May 7, 1955 – Peter Reckell, American actor
- June 26, 1955 – Gedde Watanabe, American actor
- July 28, 1955 – Nikolay Zimyatov, Russian cross-country skier