Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- January 25, 1955 – The Soviet Union ends state of war with Germany.
- April 23, 1955 – The Canadian Labour Congress is formed by the merger of the Trades and Labour Congress of Canada and the Canadian Congress of Labour.
- June 7, 1955 – Lux Radio Theater signs off the air permanently. The show launched in New York in 1934, and featured radio adaptations of Broadway shows and popular films.
- June 15, 1955 – The Eisenhower administration stages the first annual “Operation Alert” (OPAL) exercise, an attempt to assess the USA’s preparations for a nuclear attack.
- June 26, 1955 – The South African Congress Alliance adopts the Freedom Charter at the Congress of the People in Kliptown.
- August 7, 1955 – Tokyo Telecommunications Engineering, the precursor to Sony, sells its first transistor radios in Japan.
- September 22, 1955 – In the United Kingdom, the television channel ITV goes live for the first time.
- September 25, 1955 – The Royal Jordanian Air Force is founded.
- December 10, 1955 – The Mighty Mouse Playhouse premieres on television.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- February 4, 1955 – Mikuláš Dzurinda, Slovak Prime Minister
- March 18, 1955 – Francis G. Slay, American politician
- March 22, 1955 – Lena Olin, Swedish actress
- April 4, 1955 – Casey Biggs, American actor
- September 8, 1955 – Julian Richings, English-born Canadian actor
- October 12, 1955 – Jane Siberry, Canadian musician
- October 20, 1955 – Thomas Newman, American composer
- October 29, 1955 – Kevin DuBrow, American singer (Quiet Riot) (d. 2007)
- December 9, 1955 – Chamras Saewataporn, Thai composer and musician