Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- January 25, 1955 – The Soviet Union ends state of war with Germany.
- April 5, 1955 – Winston Churchill resigns as Prime Minister of the United Kingdom amid indications of failing health.
- May 12, 1955 – Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singapore, rioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore’s bid for independence.
- June 7, 1955 – Lux Radio Theater signs off the air permanently. The show launched in New York in 1934, and featured radio adaptations of Broadway shows and popular films.
- June 26, 1955 – The South African Congress Alliance adopts the Freedom Charter at the Congress of the People in Kliptown.
- July 15, 1955 – Eighteen Nobel laureates sign the Mainau Declaration against nuclear weapons, later co-signed by thirty-four others.
- September 6, 1955 – Istanbul Pogrom: Istanbul’s Greek and Armenian minority are the target of a government-sponsored pogrom.
- October 26, 1955 – After the last Allied troops have left the country and following the provisions of the Austrian Independence Treaty, Austria declares permanent neutrality.
- December 1, 1955 – American Civil Rights Movement: In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city’s racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- January 30, 1955 – Judith Tarr, American author
- February 17, 1955 – Mo Yan, Chinese novelist
- March 10, 1955 – Toshio Suzuki, Japanese racing driver
- April 1, 1955 – Terry Nichols, American mass murderer
- May 4, 1955 – Robert Ellis Orrall, American singer
- May 28, 1955 – John McGeoch, Scottish guitarist (Siouxsie and the Banshees, Public Image Ltd.) (d. 2004)
- September 29, 1955 – Benoît Ferreux, French actor
- November 5, 1955 – Bernard Chazelle, French computer scientist
- December 9, 1955 – Chamras Saewataporn, Thai composer and musician
- December 20, 1955 – Rory Markas, American sportscaster (d. 2010)