Are you not curious to find out some fun facts about your birthday? Find out ‘what happened on my birthday’ and what was the number one song on your day of birth. Know the meaning of your birth and which celebrity shares your special day! (Sponsored link)
1955 Historical Event(s)
- January 2, 1955 – Panamanian president José Antonio Remón Cantera is assassinated
- January 24, 1955 – New Year’s Day in Chinese calendar. Start of the year of the Wood Sheep in Chinese astrology.
- February 8, 1955 – The Government of Sindh abolishes the Jagirdari system in the province. One million acres (4000 km²) of land thus acquired is to be distributed among the landless peasants.
- February 13, 1955 – Israel obtains 4 of the 7 Dead Sea scrolls.
- April 1, 1955 – The EOKA rebellion against The British Empire begins in Cyprus, with the goal of obtaining the desired unification (“enosis”) with Greece.
- May 12, 1955 – Nineteen days after bus workers went on strike in Singapore, rioting breaks out and seriously impacts Singapore’s bid for independence.
- May 25, 1955 – In the United States, a night time F5 tornado strikes the small city of Udall, Kansas, killing 80 and injuring 273. It is the deadliest tornado to ever occur in the state and the 23rd deadliest in the U.S.
- July 18, 1955 – The first Disneyland theme park, in Anaheim, California, officially opens to the public.
- October 29, 1955 – The Soviet battleship Novorossiisk strikes a World War II mine in the harbor at Sevastopol.
- December 1, 1955 – American Civil Rights Movement: In Montgomery, Alabama, seamstress Rosa Parks refuses to give up her bus seat to a white man and is arrested for violating the city’s racial segregation laws, an incident which leads to the Montgomery Bus Boycott.
Who Were Born On 1955?
- February 21, 1955 – Kelsey Grammer, American actor
- April 8, 1955 – Barbara Kingsolver, American novelist
- May 26, 1955 – Masaharu Morimoto, Japanese chef
- June 9, 1955 – Wolfgang Schilling, German footballer
- July 4, 1955 – John Waite, English singer
- July 29, 1955 – Dave Stevens, American illustrator (d. 2008)
- October 28, 1955 – Indra Nooyi, Indian born American Corporate Leader, PepsiCo CEO
- November 2, 1955 – Thomas Grunenberg, German footballer
- November 16, 1955 – Pierre Larouche, Canadian ice hockey player
- December 11, 1955 – Christian Sackewitz, German footballer